Do drones benefit from Markerlights? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

Do drones benefit from Markerlights?

This thread has been spawned through answering Rikimaru's "Can Kroot use markerlights?" thread. In that thread we answered that Kroot were unable to use ML due to their not being mentioned in the markerlight entry. After researching the issue, I found that the Tau Empires Codex uses four race groupings: Drones, Kroot, Tau and Vespid. For example, in the Ethereal's Inspiring Presence entry, it states that only Tau can use the ability, not Drones, Kroot or Vespid.

One might also argue that there is a fifth category, the Vehicles, however, Tau vehicles state that they are crewed by Tau Fire Caste, so this is negated.

Now, if you will check the Markerlight entry on page 29 of the Tau Empires Codex, you will see that it lists Tau and Vespid Strain Leaders as the only units that may make use of markerlight hits. This excludes the other two race groupings: Kroot and Drones.

I would like to verify one fact while asking another question in this thread.

Fact: Drones are excluded from the Markerlight entry, thus STRONGLY implicating that they are unable to use Markerlight hits.

Question: Would Gun Drones attached to a squad be allowed to use Markerlight hits (similar to the Vespid Stingwing leader allowing its unit to benefit from markerlights)?

My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

I would say yes, because when attached to a squad they are controlled by an intelligent being with a drone controller, while when independent they use their own AI, which for whatever reason cannot recognize painted targets or something. I find it odd that Vespids are aloud to benefit from markerlights and Kroot aren't, because... I don't know, how much sense does that make o_0
    Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

IMO the drones would benifit from it as otherwise the pathfinder with sniper drones would be worthless then as the drones wouldn't even get any benifit from him being there. Plus why would the tau make drones that can't even comprehend a little beam of light which should be a cake walk for the tau. Though this is another bad wording on GW part for the tau codex.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like i says
    Quote Originally Posted by Xofek
    look at everty army entry for everything but vehicles (in the army it specifies that they are indeed tau vehicles, and are not being piloted by kroot, guardsmen, necrons, or chaos) and kroot. it says (tau: __________ ). i bet that means that it is a tau unit, because see after the tau unit . it says this by the vespids as well, but in the markerlight entry it says you cannot take advantage of it without the strain leader. Notice how it just says KROOT CARNIVORE SQUAD. it dosent say it is a tau unit. as much as i would like for them to make an advanced targetting system out of the bits of cloth and bone they carry around, but they can't
    GUN DRONE SQUADRON (TAU: KORVESA)
    All of which makes me anxious, sometimes unbearably so

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

The new codex is appaling, it is unclear, badly written, has so many loopholes if it were a bucket it wouldn't hold much water.
    I think its about time GW got there act together, because I have been thinking the Kroot question over and basically I just do not think it is clear, it can be read both ways, same goes for the Drones, now yeah a drone squad may well be Tau but thats THE SQUAD because any description or rule in a codex entry only applies to that codex entry, so yes a squad would be classed as Tau, a drone on a vehicle that disembarks is not Tau because it has no unit description, so cannot benefit from ML's. according to Xofeks definition.

Drones count as owner for wargear purposes so if taken as wargear by tau they count as the same as the owner so would count ML benefits.

The rule for vespids can be read two ways:

1 It is included simply because the Vespid have the strain leader rule and thats it, nothing to do with race etc just the fact that if the leader dies its helm goes, so Vespid are screwed with ML's

2 It is to do with the fact that altough the vespids are not Tau they can use ML's because they have Tau tech.

Take your pick, if its the 1st then Kroot can take ML benefits

Also Kroot and drones lets say they cannot benefit from improved BS, but what about the rule to reduce cover saves that affects the targeted unit so why would Kroot / Drones not benefit from it, or night fighting etc

Also why the hell cant a Kroot not use a ML hit, they have phenominal senses, sharp vision and good smell etc, so why would a Kroot not be able to see a red (or whatever colour) dot on a target, are they dot blind or something, it makes no sense what so ever especially for Drones are you telling me Tau would not give drones sensors to detect laser light etc.

I am not using the Kroot ML benefit simply to avoid conflict (I still think they so benefit), but I think this should be brought to GW attention along with al the other crap in the codex and a FAQ produced pretty smartish like.

Oh and by the way if we are using the Tau description in the unit entries as the qualifier for using ML benefits then all 3 special characters cannot use ML benefits because they have no Tau description in their codex entry, now do we think Farsight should not be able to use ML benefits or shadowsun surely if its good for one (Kroot) it has to apply to the others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sniper drones can use markerlight hits(from their spotter). Why wouldn't gun drones be able to?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrythe
    Sniper drones can use markerlight hits(from their spotter). Why wouldn't gun drones be able to?
    Because the Spotter is controlling them (I think?) as opposed to them being in an independent squad and relying on their own AI -- unless the gun drones were in a squad of say, battlesuits, where they would be controlled by a drone controller.
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Common sense says they should, but its all in how the codex is worded and this codex is very very very badly worded/phrased/thought out etc, I could list you the errors/unclear confusing stuff. for instance heres a few

Twin linking on battlesuits.
    Sniper spotters have a drone controller so must take extra gun or shield drones (its in the armoury rules)
    Do sniper drones stay in coherency with the spotter
    Kroot markerlights.
    Drones do not negate IC status for normal commanders but do for shadowsun (why)
    Why do they say stabalisation negates the assault jump pack move but the only suit that can take heavy weapons is the broadside and it does not even have a jump pack.
    Does the Pathfinder devilfish get the scout rule, it did in the old codex but they neglected to put any ref to it in the new one, so much disagreement abounds.
    and so on and so on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as to snipers stay within coherency of the spotter, probably not. That a look at this:

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...cs/default.htm

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...12_snipers.htm

Those sniper drones look well out of coherency form the spotter to me.
    (the drones in the first pic are to the left)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

as to snipers stay within coherency of the spotter, probably not. That a look at this:

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...cs/default.htm

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...12_snipers.htm

Those sniper drones look well out of coherency form the spotter to me.
    (the drones in the first pic are to the left)
    NEVER use a GW-published pic of something other than a White Dwarf published battle report or something to determine something; I've seen so many illegal lists and random other things... probably this included; nowhere in the Codex (though that's beginning to be of little authority ) does it say Sniper Drones may leave coherency with the spotter.

...reading over that I've used up my quota for the word "something" for the day

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast