New to Alaitac Eldar... Where to begin?!? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Alaitac Eldar... Where to begin?!?

I have decided to collect Alaitoc and have read the article on this forum for new Eldar players and collecting the different craftworlds. My current army consists of:

Farseer,
    2 Warlocks,
    15Guardian Defenders and Starcannon Platform,
    4 Dire Avengers and 1 Dire Avenger Exarch,
    2 squads of 3 Rangers.

I have played a few games and won all of them (recently massacred a Saim-Hann Army with only one Ranger casualty); but want to expand my army, so what now?!?

I also have had my deployment tactics be absolutly aweful, sometimes barely resulting in a win. I would like to learn some tactics for using the unique Alaitoc Eldar.

All comments appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Wait for the new codex so you can field seer councils in them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Alaitoc will be redone dramatically in the new codex, so wait for it as Astantia said. The distruption rolls will disappear etc.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

good to see all the new eldar players nowadays, a whole generation of players that will never live with the cries of cheese at our infamous codex. :rolleyes:

You're participating in Medusa V so I presume you will want to buy some models during the campaign and afterwards, I know I hate formally sitting down and waiting for new stuff.

At the moment for Alaitoc I'd say some scorpions could help you, I always think an eldar army isn't complete without aspects. A wraithlord, 3 more rangers and some scorpions. That should set you nicely on 1000 points for the campaign and set you up for the new codex.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by LordLink
    A wraithlord, 3 more rangers and some scorpions. That should set you nicely on 1000 points for the campaign and set you up for the new codex.
    True enough, except get pathfinders not rangers(same models though). The scorps would seem to work well with aliatoc as they can provide protection for rangers. Maybe consider a falcon instead of a wraithlord.

You've got a big advantage over other craftworlds(except Ulthwe) in that it is unlikely that you'll wind up with "dead" models in the new codex. The others are probably spending time looking fondly at their models when they take them out, as if those 4th and 5th squads of banshees had cancer and might not pull through.

Oh and why two warlocks? You only seem to have one guardian unit so the other would have to be with the farseer. I'd consider the advantage of having the extra warlock with the farseer much much less than the cost of losing their IC status. I'd put them in the guardian squad with a farseer with conceal. Then fortune them all for re-rollable cover saves, and a leadership of 10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I normally do is split my guardian squad in half, one warlock with 5 men and starcannon platform and he uses conceal to protect it, while the rest of the guardians are in a squad with the other warlock who takes enhance for a slight CC advantage with my force.

Also about the striking scorpions; will they be updating them to new models? I'd hate to go out and get a squad of them and turn around a few weeks later and find new ones on the shelves. I'm also pretty sure they are making a new Wraithlord too, I should wait for that one I think, unless they aren't making a new one at all. I am also concerned that they might take Pathfinders out of the new Eldar codex (whenever it comes out), but undoubtedly this fear is groundless as Pathfinders are what make Alaitoc Eldar so unique(that and the disruption rolls). So what should I wait for and what should I get now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

both guardian squads should have embolden.

As a general rule of thumb for you:

If they are just there for the platform get embolden (i.e 5 guys).
    If they there for the mass catapults use conceal (i.e. a box of 16 guys)
    If they are extra's in a farseer retinue take destructor
    If they are with a squad of 16+ storm guardians take enhance or conceal.
    If they are in a falcon with 5 storms and 2 flamers take destructor or nothing.
    If they are in a wave serpent with 9 storms take enhance.
    If they are with wraithguard on foot take conceal or nothing.
    If they are with wraithguard in a wave serpent take enhance.

I liked the wraithlord better than the falcon as he doesnt really need a transport and he needs something that will survive. 3 man squads of rangers and some guardians will just get gunned down. He needs something big and intimidating on the field. Although with the new wraithlord model coming soon maybe a falcon would be better... maybe war walkers?
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But would War Walkers hold in theme with the whole Alaitoc theme? I'm big into storyline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alatioc are pretty much a normal craftworld only they have a lot of rangers. The use of all the units is perfectly acceptable.
    Kai Shin Craftworld (Biel Tan / Ulthwe) 5000 pts
    Emperor's Children 2000 pts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Valvaogan
    But would War Walkers hold in theme with the whole Alaitoc theme? I'm big into storyline.
    Light vehicles like vypers and war walkers would suit the alaitoc army. They are fast, mobile and would be able to operate in most conditions.

They would be ideal for ambushes compared to the more sizable eldar tanks.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast