Is my paint scheme heading in the wrong direction? Broodlord WIP pics - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is my paint scheme heading in the wrong direction? Broodlord WIP pics

So, I did my Tyrant yellow and black, but didn't want the whole army to look exactly the same, so I decided on brighter colors for all my major pieces, and I'll do muted versions for my broods.

I decided on orange and black for the Brood Lord, and he's almost done, forgive the shine (I dip) since I didn't Matt coat yet, the shine is unfortunately covering up my highlights and blends

I'm posting now cuz I'm wondering is this going to look really weird when I'm done? I'm thinking dark green and black for the biovores, red and black for the Fexes, and maybe dark purple and blacj=k for zoanthropes.

The army will be tied together with the blacks, bone for all the "fleshy" parts and bones, and unified bases...so will this work?? (before I really start painting a lot)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

At the moment, it looks a bit like he's wearing socks and a thermal vest
    I like to black and orange and it's clear that you can paint. But i think the problem is the white parts. Use photo shop to mess around with different colours.
    Also, consider setting the Talons a different colour still.

Heh heh, I can just imagine the broodlord saying 'Why all this violence? Why can't we just love?!'
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You > Me at painting...but I do agree that it looks like socks etc. Also a little halloweeny for my tastes...but that is me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

color choice

yeah, it's a tough road I think, maybe once I have his retinue done (in more muted orange and black body suits ) maybe it'll look better. I think I'm committed to attempting this varied scheme to see what happens when it's all done (does it all come together or is it just stupid).

I think painting the common nids will really be the deciding factor, if their more muted colors help bring the colors together maybe the great variance on the *big* moels won't look so odd....I'm hoping....

Oh, the "talons" (on hands and feet of all models, and scythes) are 2 shades lighter than the other whitish parts, you can see this in person so the claws do stand out a bit (you would defintely notice it), sorry if these pics don't show it
    Last edited by bonegnasher; July 9th, 2006 at 01:30.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

The talons should be a different colour. This is so when people look at the model the can identify it's flesh and it's bone, chitin or whatever. Overall you say you are doing you different broods in varied colours. I did this with my first Tyranid swarm years ago. It is fun doing all those different colours but it will look scatter-brained. I think you should be more subtle. My Tyranids are mostly purple and black with green and red for details. However I use Varied shades of purple on different broods. Because I use staining the models have unison but each brood is slightly individualistic.

I think you should be a little less in your face with the colour variations. The Biovores dark green and black are very muted like a forest at night. The Carnifexes will be red and black, thats very warm almost like a lava pit with burnt crust on top kind of colour scheme, nothing like a nightime forest. My point is the the feel of your models needs to be similar or they won't complement one-another.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

The white and bone doesn't look right with the black and orange on that model. I would paint all the orange black and paint the bone/chitin orange. I think this would bring the whole model together and look great.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, I don't like the orange with your awesome work on the bones there. THat part is top-notch but I think the orange has to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

u didn't go bad he looks awesome i wish i could have painted mine that well.
    Hive Fleet Fornye = a thorn in the imperiums side
    3000 PTS all up and growing

" it's like the bad flat mate of the world" Dylan Moran on America

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

~ "Trick or Treat!"...oh wait...only gives the appearance of Halloween :ninja:

~ Maybe just a little less black and possibly a little more orange, right now he kinda resembles candy-corn....no offense meant but you asked for criticism...

~ The bone-parts look awesome though, good job on those, it's just the colours you chose that throw the model off...
    5th E Sand(Grey) Knights: 11-3 (retired) 5th E Eldar: 37-4 (retired) 5th E Wolves 5-0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

How are you going to base it?
    It may totally salvageable with the right base. Something that really sets it off.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast