I have a question: - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a question:

Will tau normally be able to defeat BA?, if so please tell me some strategies, as i am having trouble. He has two Baals and a Anti-tank dreadnought, then some assaults and marines. Also, his Death Company are crazy. Addvice appreciated. Here is what i am using:
    1850 Point Army List
    Headquarters

-Shas’o commander w/ Airbursting Fragmentation Projector, Hard Wired Multi Tracker,
    Hard-Wired Target Lock, Hard-Wired Drone Controller, Two Shield Drones,
    Missile Pod and a Plasma Rifle- 167p

-Bodyguards-Two Shas’vre Battlesuits with Targeting Arrays, Hard-Wired Multi-
    Trackers, Plasma Rifles and Missile Pods- 164p

Elite

-One Shas’ui Battlesuit Team Leader w/ Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array and
    Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker-77p

-One Shas’ui Battlesuit w/ Twinlinked Fusion Blasters and a Targeting Array-53p

-Three Stealthsuits w/ Burst Cannons and Targeting Arrays-120p

Troops

-Twelve Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight and One Shas’ui-140p

-Eleven Kroot warriors and Eight Kroot Hounds -125p

Fast Attack

-Eight Pathfinders, One Shas’ui and a Devilfish-186p

Heavy Support

-One Hammerhead w/ Rail Gun, Two Burst Cannons, Two Seeker Missiles, Target
    Lock, Decoy Launchers and a Multi-Tracker-190p

-One Sky Ray Missile Defense Gunship w/ Two Burst Cannons, a Targeting Array,
    Decoy Launchers and a Multi-Tracker-155p

-One Hammerhead w/ Rail Gun, Two Burst Cannons, Two Seeker Missiles, Target
    Lock, Decoy Launchers and a Multi-Tracker-190p
    Total: 1847p

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

Hmmm personally I would change your list to drop a fire warrior squad and the skyray and take as many more suits as you can with those points, all with fusion blaster, plasma rifle, and multi-tracker. Get 'em within 12" of infantry and they've got 3 shots from each suit they can't take saves on to deal with :yes:

However I don't know how useful Skyrays are. So I don't mean to say they are useless.

In my experience with SM's of all sorts, tanks aren't a problem. They're just a waste of points that will be popped by your hammerheads in the first couple turns. Not to mention with the 2 railheads you still have 4 seekers for the pathfinders to call. And give the pathfinders two rail rifles, an extra hit or two on whatever you're targeting is always good.

Only take the kroot if you know what you're doing, I say no more XD

Actually I just noticed you have 6 suits, missed the bodyguard team. So maybe you could leave the skyray, or make it a third railhead. *shrug*
    Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

Well if my knowledge is correct BA (or their death squads) can get an extra D6 move so I wouldn't rely on crisis suits as they can easily get captured and mauled. The skyray is probally a good investment as you get 6 str 8 Ap3 missles so you could probally use that to take out the death company. You can also use it as an assault screen once the missles are used up and its ML's to make your FW hit better or your crisis suits. Not sure how usefull that stealth suit squad will be and probally should be dropped all together since it should be a full unit. With the points you could get a TL plasma rifle suit with TA as that will be able to take out a single marnie a turn basically and can rapid fire once they get close. Also don't give your HQ shield drones as he loses his IC status and if you want him really protected get some gun drones and go around him so he can't even be shot at.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience Seeker missiles have a hard time taking out most vehicles, and if you're packing ten of them I bet it would be more effective to leave a couple and take more twin-linked plasma or fusion blasters instead. You've got thirteen markerlights already so your stealthsuits and Crisis suits shouldn't need targeting arrays, if you're already assisting them with MLs. Maybe take a Target Lock on some of your missile-pod equipped Crisis suits to maximize the number of targets you can hit on your first turn? And Salmon Thief's plasma rifle / fusion blaster / multi-tracker combo sounds good, esp. with MLs. I stay away from rail rifles for the most part, though; they're powerful but tend to miss a lot, and what with the BAs being proof agains pinning tests and how you're not able to use ML hits to improve the BS of your pathfinders' markerlights, they're rarely worth including.

You may try packing a Fire Warrior team in a Devilfish - not to over emphasize FoF tactics, but it helps make sure you get the rapid fire shots in, before the assault marines reach your front line. It also spreads your forces out so one assault squad doesn't consolidate from one unit to the other. Deploy your Kroot in a central position to maximize the area their charge and guns threaten; Kroot Hounds are faster than marines now, and with three attacks on the charge they should take out enough SMs to keep the rest from mutilating your Kroot warriors.

You know that pathfinders are a huge target to a sensible opponent, so deploy them carefully and make sure they can see a lot of the board and get plenty of cover fire. That does depend on the terrain, though. They can be used as a lure to get an assault squad out into the open, or threaten such a wide area that your opponent will move around their field of fire just to save his units from a thrashing. Then he'll have to move around more, with buys you more time to hit them with other guns.

Hope I've been helpful, it's my first serious post. Good luck, Fire Warrior.
    "English has all the rhyming ability of a brick in a sock." ~T.
    "I don't need to remember my birthday, I have a piece of plastic in my wallet that remembers it for me." ~D.
    "Cross-hatching is like peanut butter cookies." ~R.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

An observation:

Giving a Shas'ui a markerlight by itself is kinda pointless largely b/c it isn't networked as all it generally does is overcomplicate shooting; however, if you throw on a HW-target lock, your shas'ui is free to mark armored targets for seeker missile hits and priority targets to amplify shooting of more important units, while your firewarriors can go about the business of harassing the enemy with pulse rifle fire. The upgrade costs almost nothing and adds an amazing amount of flexibility to the standard Tau firing line tactic.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to suggest an Ionhead. But never really using seeker missles myself, i forgot they were plates. Death Company, what to do with the Death Company? In all my experiences with Death Company, which was once... so i dunno if i can say this. But it has 2 purposes, soak up fire and kick ass. The company is mean enough, but the chaplain is down right evil. My suggestion is to take out all of the fastest units first, the Death Company can wait, manage your seeker missle carefully, i would use the missles to hunt the squads, and leave the dreadnaughts and baals up to your hammerhead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, this is the worst part, his death company have jetpacks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x3)

I actually own both tau and blood angels. It's a very tough fight, because with their rage rules and jump packs they can potentially move 24" a turn. You need alot of ap 3 weapons to stop them before they get to you. Also, the pathfinders are just a liability against that army. With a 24" move (6 from rage, 12" from jump packs, 6" charge) they are going to kill your pathfinders before they can escape. Now the good thing is, their extra move is a D6 and not automatic 6.

Ionheads work wonders on BA, take at least one. You'll probably want to drop the stealths in favor of more crisis suits, drop 2 firewarrior squads because their AP is too low to do much damage. Mount the FW squad in a devilfish, if you decide to keep more than one squad also mount it in a devlifish.

BA is incredibly fast with overcharged engines and jump packs all around, so you need a ton of AP3 weapons to deal with them. Burst cannons and pulse rifles are like throwing paperclips at 3+ saves. Against an immobile opponent you can get away with throwing paperclips at times, but against this opponent it will get you killed.

I would take 1 railhead, 1 ionhead, and 1 broadside team. The railhead and broadsides will kill his vehicles with no problems, leaving the ionhead and crisis suits to clean up with concentrated plasma fire.

The broadsides will also serve as a lure, as your opponent will know they move with slow and purposeful rules, allowing you to bait them as they move back, until you have chipped his troops away. Plasma/missle pod or TL plasma are both good choices, as although fusion guns can insta-kill them it also means you are dead. A 12" range means that their death company, veteran assault squads, or even regular assault squads can catch you even if you jump back 6".

The death company is an entirely unique problem, there isn't much tau can do against them. We don't even have the option to ignore them due to their huge mobility and incredible CC prowess. A rail gun is the only way to negate their feel no pain rule because it is complete suicide to run up to them with a fusion gun. You just have to pour as much fire into them as you can and hope you get lucky.

ALSO. please don't post your lists in the normal forum. if you want someone to look at it just put a link...
    Last edited by mephistophales; July 10th, 2006 at 07:00.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would sniper drones be any good? They have a high enough strength and good ap to do damage to the BA from a distance. They're not very mobile though. I dunno, just a thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x3)

Well the real problem is that sniper drones put out such a low volume of firepower that their real strength is pinning. Pinning isn't really viable against a BA army as they have good leadership and can select a force commander from the marines armory to make it even better. The other problem is survivability. If a dreadnaught drop pods near them or they get caught by jump troops, it's over completely.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast