Upgrading Boyz - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading Boyz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x2)

Upgrading Boyz

Hi All,

Two quick quetions which I've been wondering about since I bought my codex a while back. Going to use Slugga Boyz in my example here. My question is concerning upgrading a Boyz weapon and also upgrading a Boy to a Nob.

1) Slugga Boyz, by default, are given a Slugga and a Choppa. Under Options it says up to three boyz can have either a Big Shoota, a Rokkit Launcha or a Burna (for appropriate extra point cost). Also, in the Ork Armoury it states that "Ork characters may have up to two single-handed weapons, or one single handed weapon and one two-handed weapon". So, when giving a normal Slugga boy a Rokkit Launcha, can he still have either the Choppa or Slugga? My guess on this one is no since he isn't a "character".

2) Now for Nobz though, under Slugga Boyz it says one of the Boyz can be "upgraded" to a Nob. A Nob is a special character allowed to take equipment from the Ork Armoury, so when you upgrade a Boy to a Nob does he automatically have the Slugga and Choppa for free? So if I were to give him a PK for example can he take that and keep the Slugga or Choppa for free? Or do I have to spend the extra points to also give him the Slugga or Choppa?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyclops
    Hi All,

Two quick quetions which I've been wondering about since I bought my codex a while back. Going to use Slugga Boyz in my example here. My question is concerning upgrading a Boyz weapon and also upgrading a Boy to a Nob.

1) Slugga Boyz, by default, are given a Slugga and a Choppa. Under Options it says up to three boyz can have either a Big Shoota, a Rokkit Launcha or a Burna (for appropriate extra point cost). Also, in the Ork Armoury it states that "Ork characters may have up to two single-handed weapons, or one single handed weapon and one two-handed weapon". So, when giving a normal Slugga boy a Rokkit Launcha, can he still have either the Choppa or Slugga? My guess on this one is no since he isn't a "character".

2) Now for Nobz though, under Slugga Boyz it says one of the Boyz can be "upgraded" to a Nob. A Nob is a special character allowed to take equipment from the Ork Armoury, so when you upgrade a Boy to a Nob does he automatically have the Slugga and Choppa for free? So if I were to give him a PK for example can he take that and keep the Slugga or Choppa for free? Or do I have to spend the extra points to also give him the Slugga or Choppa?

Thanks!

1) good question, never thought about that, but i would like to know as well.

2) my hobby shop owner used to play orkz and i showed him an army list with my nobz equipped with slugga and choppa and he otld me that basically its a boy that gets pumped up to a nob. ie: keeping all of the boy equipment, in addition to what you can give him as a nob.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 & 2) niether get to keep the slugga/ choppa b/c when you take those weapons you are replace the cc that come standard. but i have a question with this. since you can have 3 special weapons per squad can you give one to your nob also making it 4 or does it count as the three for the sqaud???
    Last edited by firewarrior76; July 10th, 2006 at 05:38.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The boys are not characters, so when they upgrade to have a big shoota/burna/rokkit launcha, they cannot also have a slugga/choppa.

Also, the nob's special weapon does not count towards the squad's limit of 3 special weapons. That only refers to the option for the boys upgrades.
    "...a swarm of mechanised locusts sweeping over the land, stripping it bare of resources, bringing death and destruction to anything that stands in its path. Emperor preserve us against the predations of these so-called Orkish cults of speed!" - Cardinal Nomura at the Conclave of Hessen

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x5)

1. Yes. He is "given" the special weapon, it doesn't say "replaces with". So I'd say he keeps the choppa.

2. Yes the nob keeps the slugga and choppa. Again, it doesn't say that he losses his standard equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually, i just checked and it says "Up to three models can have either" and the weapons. so that doesnt really say anything, as it could mean they have it additionally or instead of. its possible that it said they may be given in an old ver of the codex. oh this is my first post so if i did something wrong please dont flame too badly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

If the nob picks a PK he must either replace the slugga or the choppa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lots of conflicting replies here...hmm. its always been my opinion that they get the big shoota (etc) in addition to, and as i said earlier i was told by an ex player (played in tournaments) that nobs automatically had slugga/choppa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x2)

Well guess I wasn't the only one questioning this For Nobz I always had assumed that they get the Slugga/Choppa for free. Specially because you are paying +11 to upgrade a Slugga Boy to a Nob, if he had 0 equipment, then that means that +11 is really a +14 to just give him the Slugga and Choppa. Plus an upgrade from A to B generally means you get everything A has plus you get extra stuff in B.

For the normal Boyz I had always played it they they didn't get the Slugga/Choppa, but after thinking it over I felt that they should be able to keep one, hence this post. Though the main thing making me doubt it is that if you buy a blister of "Boyz with Eavy Weapons" they only have the Rokkit or Big Shoota, niether model has a Choppa aswell, though that can be easily solved by gluing an extra knife/axe to their belt (?). For those of us who custom convert Boyz to give em big weapons, its even easier to include that choppa...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I play the boyz with heavy weapons don't get a choppa, so the will only get the bonus for charging and SM get their normal save against them, so I roll seperately for the heavy weapon boyz.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast