Warp spiders - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warp spiders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warp spiders

Well just got back fro mmy local GW and i was talking to one of the employes and he said that they where no good. Im planning on haveing 7 in my army and i dont want to take them out because i like them but i want an effective list. So what are your views on warp spiders? Please answer if you either own/play with them/played aginest them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost any Eldar unit (yes, even Shining Spears) can be effective as long as it's part of a balanced list and utilized for a very precise purpose. A lot of people find Warp Spiders to be really useful and there are more than a few reasons why.

First, Spiders are fast. Even faster than other Eldar, and that says something. Next, they're tough - a powered armor save for aspect warriors isn't that common, and their warp jump generator allows them to move from terrain to terrain without casualties and hence retain an armor save that other jump infantry (assault marines, etc) can't afford. Finally, they have a strong and accurate shot - 2 high-strength shots on a basic model, which is pretty significant. There's a lot to love. The penalty for all this is that Warp Spiders are pretty expensive pointswise.

That said, Spiders aren't like marines - while they're good all around, they can easily be crushed in places where they shouldn't be, like close combat with an equal size or larger squad (...never let this happen.) Instead, they are best used against lightly armored vehicles because they are fast enough to intercept them and their hits usually cause a glance at least 1/3 of the time, leading to many glances that eventually cause serious damage to the target. Also, although it's hard to earn the points of the unit back doing so, Spiders are killer against lightly armored enemy infantry. I prefer a style of baiting large squads of Orks or Tyranids by first jumping within 12", firing a salvo at the enemy, and then jumping away 2d6" to keep out of assault range. Only two salvoes are usually necessary to bring down even the largest squads because of the strength of the shots. This technique also works somewhat against marines because they're slower, but it takes many salvoes over the course of the game.

So, it's not that they're "no good" - they're just specialized. Don't field them against someone who plays only space marines, chaos space marines or Necrons, unless they like landspeeders (which are fair game). Do field them against swarm armies or armies that rely on a lot of low armor transports like Marine Rhinos, Dark Eldar Raiders or Ork Trukks. Plus, I really do recommend a full size squad if you're going to take one at all, because the more shots you can make in a single shooting phase, the less shooting phases it's going to take for your squad to do its job, and that minimizes your risk of running out of the space you'll need to keep warp jumping away from the opposition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahhh, that raised my spirits, thanks, also i would gewt a squad of 10 but my money does not allow it.. heh heh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Also keep note that warp spider warp generators do not work like normal jump packs. It is completely safe to jump into terrain without suffering casulties unlike those with assault marines as long as it isn't inpassable terrain.

It is always a good idea to give the exarch withdraw as it allows the squad to move like "hit and run" if they get caught in combat. While they are fast they can still be caught into combat by things equally as fast (assault marines, raider transported wyches). Even though it can be tempting to place them in combat due to the exarchs equipment the squad primary strength is shooting their strength 6 weapons so this situation should generally be avoided.

While their guns are high strength with no ap do not underestimate them when it comes to dealing with power armour. Shear volume of shots will cause casulties so unlike Sycophant I would take them against marines. What some people don't realise is that speed often wins alot of battles. They arn't only good for shooting, they can hold objectives as well, even to last turn rushes towards one. Because of their good armour value they stand a chance of holding it.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

If you've ever seen a tau crisis suit you will know just how great warp spiders can be.

A squad of 7 however is not really the best. There are 2 ways to use spiders effectively.

1. take a full 10 man squad, if you have points take an exarch /w withdraw as well in case they get into cc. This squad hops forwards as fast as it can, rapid-fire an enemy to death and the leap back out of sight. If no terrain is available then just leap back out of assault range. This squad is also very effective with withdraw for the following tactic. If a player has left their HQ unattached from a squad then get your spiders into cc nearby. Next turn withdraw out towards the enemy character then move right ontop of him. You should then be able to shoot the crap outta him with all your death spinners. Try not to assault a very powerful squad as your spiders do have to survive 2 asault phases for this.

Never forget that you can withdraw forwards, it surprises a lot of people.

2. Take a minimum 5 man squad, this squad should always have an exarch /w withdraw and powerblades is preferable. This squad then leaps forwards and slams itself into the nearest enemy squad, again try not to pick an uber assault squad to charge. Hopefully the powerblades can get a lucky wound and take out a guy to make back points and reduce incoming attacks. After your opponents next assault phase hope your spiders are still alive and blink them forwards with withdraw. They then have another 18" charge range so by now you should be able to hit the enemies devs/havocs/reapers/big gunz/support batteries/support platoon/whatever and tie it down into cc as well as take out expensive lascannon devs with powerblades. This makes it significantly easier for your foot-slogging banshees or scorpions to get into cc. This tactic is risky as it relies on a little luck with your armour saves and a little skill to keep them away from a power fist.

Don't be discouraged from warp spiders completely, they are either perfect assassains to kill key enemy squads or suicidal maniacs intent on distracting the enemy with suicidal charges (I personally use option 2, cheaper on the wallet.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man a GW employee said no good? Strange... Warp Spiders are awesome. Personally, I think 7 is a great number to use. They will live long enough usually to do some damage or disrupt some plans, but not be a huge point sink. I really wouldn't recommend taking an exarch with them though. You dont get that much benefit for doing so as the exarch is geared for cc. You take a seven man squad it costs you 154. You add an exarch with powers and you are up to 200 for little real benefit. 14 Strength 6 shots from the normal guys is pretty potent. Also, like others said, they are fast! They work well with assault squads as they can keep up with transports on their own, so they allow you to field a unit that can coordinate well with an organized assault. Lastly, rumors for the new codex say that Warp Spiders will be moving to Fast Attack, so it allows you to take an extra aspect squad!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, from reading this and from my other fourms i decided to go with and keep my spiders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Faedryth
    Man a GW employee said no good? Strange...
    Remember that most GW staff are like people of this forums, them being employees doesn't make much difference, they are still subject to personal opinion. So when you ask an employee a question consider this.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

I can relate to that.

I was visiting some friends in Baltimore, and walked into a GW. I was looking around, as we don't have any GWs in Vegas, and an employee approached me:

"What are you looking for?"
    "umm..." I'm used to shopping at HobbyTown, where most of the employees don't realize they stock warhammer, nor know anything about selling it, so I was hesitant at first to talk about what I wanted. "I'm looking for some Warhammer 40K stuff, Eldar"

"oh, ok, like what?"

"Well, I'm in the process of making a fast attack based army, with Rangers as troops and a whole bunch of Jetbikes."

"Oh, ok, so you need some jetbikes?"

"Ya, Shining Spears"

"oh... hmmm.... ...How... um... how long have you been playing...?"

This is where I decided to mess with the guy, in actuality, I have been playing and collecting on and off for about 4 years, with a huge year and a half gap in 04' - 05'.

"Well, this is my first army... a couple friends were telling me that shining spears were really good, so I decided to build an army around them."

He says this next part with a straight face, I'm not kidding.

"Well, actually, Shining Spears are pretty horrible. If you want a fast army, you should try White Scars."

I had to turn my head to keep from laughing at his face. I picked up a box, strategically selected to maximize the funny, and asked him what army got to field it. The box contained enough parts to construct one (1) Tyranid Carnifex (I have one of the 3rd ed. one, but this was a 4th, pretty cool looking actually...)

"That's a Tyranid Carnifex." I swear he was reading the box.

"Is it very good?" I look back at the box, and point out it's huge claws. "It looks like it'd be good in close combat.

"Well, a dreadnought, especially a Blood Angel's one, would tear it apart."

I couldn't help but grin a little and hope that he thought I was laughing at the 'tear it apart' phrase and just didn't get out of the house much.

He continued:

"Ya, the Blood Angel's dread, or a Space Wolves one would be really good for close combat." "You should probably just play space marines, they're actually the best army in the game."

I thanked him, and told him I'd like to look around a bit. He left. I picked up my two blisters of rangers, checked to see if they had any Shining Spears (nope, imagine that!) and walked to the check out. In a last ditch effort to bring forth more funny, I asked the guy behind the counter (who happened to be wearing a Nurgle Shirt with 'Decay' written on it, another thing I'd really like to have) whether or not they had any Shining Spears Aspect Warriors. His eyes sort of glazed over and a puzzled look came over his face.

"Shining What...?"

"Eldar Shining Spears, the one's on Jetbikes."

"Oh, you want bikes, ya we have lots of bikes, did you look over in the 40K section?"

He must've been puzzled by the look of hilarity on my face as I walked out the door.

Moral of the Story:

Don't go into a Baltimore Games-Workshop and buy anything except Space Marines.
    Last edited by Astantia; July 11th, 2006 at 03:42.
    Gareth is the person I try to impress when I convert and paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, that made me laugh, well i guesse as others said, it all depends on the persons point of view.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast