Cities of Death (City Fighting) Tactica! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Cities of Death (City Fighting) Tactica!

Well, it doesn't look like theres one, so I'll start one!

This is basicallyfor posting the pros and cons of units and tactics for use in City Fighting. There may be some debate, lets just try to keep it civil, okay?

On with the tactics!

I don't have much to say, my last game was in March, and I've only leafed throught the Cities of Death book, but it just seems to me that a Skyray could actually be usefull, as it can deviler Seeker Missiles from anywhere on the board, keeping the Skyray safe from direct fire (indirect fire is still a threat thought) the only down fall is the need of markerlights, but I guess if you had the Markerlights in good cover....

Now get cracking and discuss, add and enjoy!

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox
    Well, it doesn't look like theres one, so I'll start one!

This is basicallyfor posting the pros and cons of units and tactics for use in City Fighting. There may be some debate, lets just try to keep it civil, okay?

On with the tactics!

I don't have much to say, my last game was in March, and I've only leafed throught the Cities of Death book, but it just seems to me that a Skyray could actually be usefull, as it can deviler Seeker Missiles from anywhere on the board, keeping the Skyray safe from direct fire (indirect fire is still a threat thought) the only down fall is the need of markerlights, but I guess if you had the Markerlights in good cover....

Now get cracking and discuss, add and enjoy!

Mike
    Well Kroot seem to be a good unit for city fight, they get the cover saves, can really hold their own in CC now with the Kroot hounds, if they take assaults while in cover they get INT10,and they can infiltrate which is really usefull in cityfight.
    Kroot are a good CF unit.
    Markerlights are a real help, simply becasue they can reduce an opponents cover saves and also allow for auto pass of target priority tests.
    I have used the Skyray and yes it is very usefull, though for CF, I would probaly go for the Submunnition round guided by ML's.
    The XV8 is a really good unit as well and Stealths because they have the JSJ move which means they can really use cover, plus the XV8 commanders get the move through cover rule which helps.
    I think the Key will be good use of ML's especially if FW teams are used, carbine equipped teams in a DF would really hurt, 24 STR5 shots guided by ML's will really hurt especially if the remaining ML hits are used to reduce LDS for pinning tests. 4 ML hits would allow for +1 BS, -1 cover save and -2 LDS nice combo, and the 4+ save of the Tau is not as much of a handicap in cover.
    Stealths are good becasue the range of the weapon is not so much of an issue, they have much better odds of surviving simply because they can utilise cover and have the spotting special rule and the Fusion is more of an option.
    I think Tau are quite well served by the new codex for cityfight purposes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x8)

What about FW squad sizes? Is it better to go with full squads as they last longer, or smaller squads as they are easier to move around? Same with Kroot, and what about Drones, do they fall in the same categorie(sp?) as the suits?

Quote Originally Posted by Rikimaru
    I have used the Skyray and yes it is very usefull, though for CF, I would probaly go for the Submunnition round guided by ML's.
    Well, the thing is that both are for different uses, no? Thus they can't really be compared. But as I see it, moving around heavy weapons in a city is a bad as you have the chance of being jumped before getting to shoot, thats Why I like the Skyray for CF, you aren't putting teh Missiles ar riskbecause the Skyray can simply Hide behind a building and take out a walker or other armor, plus the Hammerhead has to generally be in the city to get shots, so you could block potential movement with the large Hammerhead body, and it might not even fit in the streets for that matter.

But if it works for you, you must be doing something right!

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

To be honest, its been a long time since I've used and/or depended on markerlights in a Tau game.

That said, markerlight/seeker interaction can only be the cream or frosting on a sound battle plan using the other assets in the Tau arsenal.

While we've always seen the FW's Pulse Rifle as a great stand-off weapon with its long range it clearly isn't a slouch at point blank either. If you've got the terrain and follow the CoD terrain deployment scheme you're in for some close quarters combat and building-to-building battles.

I would think that FireWarrior and Kroot squads working in support of each other would be good. When battle is joined the FW will put out a greater volley of fire while the Kroot wait to charge into the left overs. Otherwise, if the FW get charged the Kroot can counter-charge in and hopefully wipe out the enemy to allow the FW to disengage.

This, combined with the JSJ capabilities of the various suit types should keep the enemy busy.

Sprinkle in some Piranha distracting in the backfield... yeah, it could be good.

Probably what we're looking for is how certain Strategems will be used against us and how we can use other Strategems to good use against the enemy.

Since Tau have some good units with Infiltrate capabilities, taking the Infiltrate Strategem could be put to good use. Better yet, use the Sewer Rats Strategem as a decoy and place your counters in really good places to "force" your opponent to waste resources on "defending" while you take the battle elsewere. While unfluffy, it would be interesting to hold one's Crisis suits back and threaten to have them pop up somewhere important.

Since Tau have Skimmer Tranports, one would think that Rappelling Lines would give some sort of advantage.

Whereas since Tau have no Monstrous Creatures or models with dreadnought CCWs the Wrecker strategem is clearly useless.

Later,
    Jon
    [COLOR=DarkRedI got my tournament t-shirts at mathhammer.net[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x8)

What about FW and Kroot squad sizes? Especally in small games when points get tight.

Mike

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

It really depends on what you want those squads to do though I would almost always go for 2 full FW squads at least then add in some kroot though that is me as I'm am thinking about doing a 72 FW list so I'm biased on FW .
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru
    plus the XV8 commanders get the move through cover rule which helps.
    Move through cover rule? please explain :w00t: it sounds good and maybe i've missed reading it on the codex.

Another question, can battlesuits take the extra 6" move during the assault phase once it pops out of the sewer? the CoF codex clearly says "Cannot launch an assault move" but Tau codex says Jet Pack allows the unit to make a free move during the assault phase which is not used to initiate an assault??
    Anima Tactics - try it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

Move through cover lets you roll 3d6 and pick the highest on difficult terrain. All independant characters have skilled riders/move through cover for free. The sewer thing looks like a writing mistake. It says you may not launch an assault but doesn't say that you can't make an assault move. I say that you can until GW erratas it.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Thanks Meph, another question.. haha.. If you have 3 squads sitting in the stinkin sewer waiting to see the sun light, do you roll 3D6 every turn and get to pick which lucky squad will breath the fresh air again? or do you *have* to roll each squad individually.. and upon the FIRST success roll of that particular squad, it will move out of the sewer forcefully (meaning you dont get to choose which one you want to deploy first)?
    Anima Tactics - try it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x8)

I'd treat it the same as DSing, and seeing as you can't assault after DSing, I'd say the same applies to teh Sewer thingy (as siad above, haven't read the CoD book yet)

I would think...

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast