Thoughts on Cities of Death - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on Cities of Death

I originally posted this into a couple of groups that I'm subscribed to on LiveJournal. A couple of people said that they found it a little insightful, so I thought that I'd re-post it here and see what you guys thought about it:

This post is primarily for players of Necron armies... as that's my gig at the moment. These are just some thoughts that I had after the Omega-level Megabattle w/ Cities of Death rules this past weekend. Take them with a grain of salt. Then again, you might actually find some redemption in what I have to say... so who knows.
    • I'm torn on the Monolith. On the one hand, it's a skimmer that can Deep Strike into a city, and that in and of itself makes it a BMF. The firepower aspect of the Monolith is definitely a factor, as is the template weaponry. I can certainly see the reasons why it would be used, but at the same time, in a cityfight and under the new rules, it seems to me to be a lot of points taken up that could have been used for troops. It makes a fantastic firebase, especially if yo can nestle it safely wihin a cloister of ruins and just use it to teleport troops to and fro across the city blocks. I don't know. I haven't completely made up my mind.
    • You need to have Wraiths... but you're only going to get three Fast Attack choices. You need Destroyers for their hard-hitting firepower and multiple shots. A five-Destroyer unit is going to lay down a MASSIVE attack on a given unit and can clear out a ruin as fast as any flamer if the dice are with you. Scarabs are a necessity for close combat - the more the better, in fact - so take at least one unit of ten bases for your thirty attacks. You may want to put disruption fields on them just in case you want to tie up the occassional tank that might meander down the street... but they're EXCELLENT for tying up Terminator squads in a cityfight long enough for you to bring in reinforcements to take them down (Pariahs, Immortals, Flayed Ones). Wraiths are great, and their benefits are obvious, but they're expensive for the three that you'll get for a single unit... and I guess my attitude is that those points are better spent on Destroyers and Scarabs.
    • Don't bother with Heavy Destroyers. One shot, one kill heavies that aren't equipped with template weapons or barrage weapons just aren't worth it in Cities of Death. You'll spend way too much for too little. If you're going to take Heavies aside from the Monolith, stick to Tomb Spyders.
    • Why Tomb Spyders? They're monsterous, and you'll be able to equip them with the Wreckers strategem from the Cities of Death Rules. They're the ONLY monsterous creatures that the Necrons field, and if you're wanting to clear terrain and rubble out of the way of your warriors and elites, you'll need them. Also, with the Artificer special ability, they'll poop out Scarabs that will work to shield them from assaults. They'll be able to be targeted in the shooting phase since they're so large... but they're pretty tough hombres, and if your opponent knows a Pariah from a Flayed One, he's probably not going to bother wasting too many shots on the Tomb Spyders when he can take down Warriors instead. Tomb Spyders also serve to help your We'll Be Back rolls when your Lord(s) happen to wander off a little too far from an isolated unit of Warriors or precious Elites.
    • If you have the chance, take the Combat Engineers strategem for your Necrons. Necrons, with the exception of Wraiths who get them by technicality only, don't have grenades. The Combat Engineers strategem will equip your infantry with Breaching Charges that will, essentially, count as grenades when they're attacking a fortified ruin, i.e., when they're going after a fortified enemy ammo dump, power generator or medicae facility. It gives them initiative 10. Also, they'll get wire cutters (cuts razor wire on 4+), smoke grenades (works just like a smoke popper on a vehicle, but for troops out in the open moving from one ruin to another) and Jammers that can set off ENEMY booby traps on a roll of 6. It might not sound like a whole lot, but it doesn't cost you a single point and it makes your Necrons a little more suited to urban warfare.
    • I don't normally roll with C'Tan. I watched a Chaos player field a Daemon Prince, and he just wasn't able to do a whole lot at all. Now, perhaps a Bloodthirster, Eldar Avatar or C'Tan would have been in a better disposition to do something a little more profound... but for the most part, the Prince and his exceptionally bad-assed retinue did little more than stand around and watch for the majority of the game. I think that a Deceiver might actually be a little more useful in Cities of Death, if for no other reason than he could afford the chance, however slight it might be, to re-deploy your enemies all over the city AFTER they've chosen their strategems... and the idea of that, while evil to the core, rocks out with its **** out.

So that's that. Just some thoughts, for whatever they might be worth.

I hope that they help.

All the best.

SWH

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you are underselling wraiths and overselling destroyers. Wraiths mobility in CoD is second to none, and destroyers have greatly dimished fire lines and dont get the nice benefits infantry since they wont be inside buildings.

Also, C'Tan are monstrous, so not just the tomb spyders.

As for my thoughts on CoD, I find that it allows Necrons to field some lists that wouldnt normally be very competitive. I have been running an 1850 list based around Pariahs' LD altering efects along the lines of:

C'Tan Deciever
    Destroyerlord with warscythe, destroyer body, lightning field,Nightmare shroud, Gaze of flame
    pariahs x 4
    flayed ones x 10
    flayed ones x 10
    warriors x 10
    warriors x 10
    wraiths x 3
    wraiths x 3
    scarabs x 10
    tomb spyders x 2

So far this has been a really nasty suprise for my opponents. Move the ctan and pariahs into the center of the board to project their leadership anti-bubble on as much as possible, then sweep in with the flayed ones, wraiths, and scarabs. With smart planning on your charges, you will almost always win the first round of combat, then the enemy has a 50/50 chance of failing their leadership or worse if you count modifiers like gaze of flame, outnumbering, etc. If you take infiltrate and wreckers with this, your flayed start in good position and the tomb spyders and ctan can go around knocking down any entrenched enemy buildings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

People have overlooked Scarab Swarms. Sure they're vulnerable to the increased number of flamethrowers but against anything else their cover save is insane. Plus they retain their full movement as they can fly like jetbikes. Remember they still take dangerous terrain tests if you land in cover.

Some building strategems like the Medicae that confer our models the Feel No Pain rule make our already tough warriors virtually indestructable
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

+ Reply to Thread