Want To Start A Wych Cult Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I want to start a wych armie and was wondering how many wych squads (2 or 4), and if mandrakes are worth taking? Also any other helpful thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

take at the least, 4 squads. otherwise its pointless to take a wych army. and there are so many reasons why not to use mandrakes, and at the most 1 good reason to take them, for further explanation on why to not use mandrakes, look in the DE forum, im sure its full of reasons. If you CAN find a good way to use em, please tell me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Vindicare@Jan 11 2004, 23:10
    take at the least, 4 squads. otherwise its pointless to take a wych army. and there are so many reasons why not to use mandrakes, and at the most 1 good reason to take them, for further explanation on why to not use mandrakes, look in the DE forum, im sure its full of reasons. If you CAN find a good way to use em, please tell me
    Well, Vindicare, let me give it a go: you take Mandrakes because on the third turn you have 30 close combat attacks exactly where you need them, delivered in such a way that your opponent can't do a thing about it. In one recent game, they took out a Firewarrior squad that had been sitting in my opponent's deployment zone with good lines of fire which had been keeping me from moving my Raiders forward. With the Firewarriors busy, and with the close combat blocking LOS to the other squad of Firewarriors and Crisis Suits behind them, I was able to move out with my Wych Raiders and get them into HTH without the Raiders being shot down.

Mandrakes are never a mainstay of an army, be it Kabal or Cult. However, in a game large enough (1500 pts or better) to justify their cost, they can fill a key supporting role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, but by turn 3 the most you could have moved the mandrakes would be 18 inches, which on most boards woudl leave them right out in the open with their pants down around their ankles. Sure it might work well if you play an opponent who might actually leave their deployment zone to come fight you, but all my friends know that its more wise to sit back and shoot at the incoming raiders than to intercept them.

I AM interested to know how you got your mandrakes all the way to the Tau front line by turn three though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help i have just bought my first unit of wyches and i do not think i will use mandrakes, because i saw some one use them in a game at the shop i play in and they did not seem to do him aany good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Vindicare@Jan 12 2004, 16:32
    I AM interested to know how you got your mandrakes all the way to the Tau front line by turn three though.
    Easy: First 2 turns: move 12". Third turn: reveal mandrakes w/in 4" of the lead model, then move another 6". That's 24" so far. Now, fleet of foot for up to another 6". Assault 6". That's a total of from 31" to 36" from where you start. Unless your opponent set up very unusually, that should always get you into HTH by the third turn.

It goes without saying that you do NOT reveal mandrakes where you're not reasonably sure that they're going to get into HTH, or at least into good cover. (Remember that you get +1 to your cover save w/shadow skinned).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do you get them to move twelve in the first two turns?? i thought they only moved six.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I should proof-read my posts before I send them. 12" from the first two turns, 4" from the reveal, and 6" from the move equals 22", not 24". My bad. The point made is still valid, though.

Xorac: the 12" is from moving 6" each time in the first two turns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

still though, thats less than 2 feet, if you play on a standard 4x4 board, then you're out in the open...unless your opponent is dumb enough to stick around near your mandrake models...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, after your third turn fleet of foot and assault moves, its up to 34". (2 turns moving 6" each = 12". Add 4" for the reveal = 16". Move another 6" for your regular move = 22". Roll for fleet of foot = 23" to 28". Assault another 6" = 29" to 34".) Typically, this is plenty to get into assault, or at the very least into good cover to move/fleet of foot/assault the next turn.

Sure, a particularly nervious opponent will run away from the mandrake counter thats threatening. You've got three of them, though, and in a large points game, there's going to be a lot of models on the table, and usually *someone* will be in assault range of at least one of the counters.

Don't get me wrong. I don't always take Mandrakes -- only when I've got the points to spare. And they don't always pull through at the right time. But used correctly, they can more than make up their points.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast