All-Assault Based Nid Army: Viable? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All-Assault Based Nid Army: Viable?

Hi everyone, sorry for the bad introduction to the forums, but this is kinda "bugging" me.

Does anyone think a list compromising of mostly Hormagaunts and Genestealers have any chance? The goal would be to have a blitz of uber-choppy bugs, preferably lots of them, on the enemies doormat around turn 2. Overwhelming the enemy by sheer speed and number, before they can get shot to pieces. Would gargoyles be advisable? I would have raveners as well, but I have two problems:

1. Do I take Flyrant or Broodlord for such a quick army? and
    2. What kind of synapse could keep up, besides a flyrant?

Ideally, about 80ish hormagaunts would be on the table at around 1500 points. Is this too many? The gaunts would rush forward and lock up vital enemy units, perhaps killing them wth their 50+ attacks on the charge. Genestealers would be there soon to clean up. Would deepstrikers like Raveners be worthy to deep strike to tie up heavy bolters and other threats to the swarm? Or would you rather normally deploy them?

What sizes of broods would you use in such an army? I would think large ones would be preferable to smaller ones, because it would be easier to keep synapse on thembut who knows. Would winged warriors be able to keep synapse on such a fast force, though they are hellishly expensive?

I was also going to throw in some zoanthropes, perhaps 1 or 2, for back up synapse and tank busting. Though they are slow, the army, besides the genestealers and raveners, has very little heavy-armor peircing, and even less synapse.

Things of that nature. Has anyone run a pure-assault nid army like this to any success? If the general consensus is that this kind of army would be worth a try, i'll toss up an army list, but I want to make sure its not a complete disaster. I've found a nice way to convert termagaunts into hormies too

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st, there's no such thing as too many gaunts. If you think there is... then you aren't a true nid player.

2nd, Go with the flyrant. I love my broodlord, but he keeps on letting me down by 1) being too slow 2)Not managing to wound enemies for some strange reason. Not to mention Flyrants (when done properly), look so much cooler and don't need a retinue of things that are way too easy to kill. Oh, and don't forget the 2+ armor and the 6+ invuln .

3rd, All assault nid armies tend to work VERY well against most armies.. but if around IG and Tau.. or anything that drops pie plates... make sure you can spread out enough to minimize casualties. Also make sure your opponent isn't a tool who likes to rig terrain as one giant firing lane.

4th, Go raveners go

5th, Zoans also make GREAT fire support against space marines. Str5 AP3 all the way baby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

I think if you are in cities of death it could be an amazing force to be reconed with. If I were going to use it in a normal game I would drop most of the hormies and add lictors and ravenors. Ravenor are just as fast as hormies, but are less damaged by being out of synapse range, which is key in a fast action game. (I know they are four times the price, but I don't think there is anyone who is intimidated by 8 hormies, but two ravenors can scare some people...10 rending attacks on the charge just seems better then 24 normal attacks.

I always prefere the flying tyrant to the brood lord, the broodlord just doesn't have the speed to get to where he needs to be.

Taking out vehicles will be a problem, but if you play objective based games you should be able to tackle most things without being completely decimated by vehicles; just pray you don't run into the armored company.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I figure CoD will be a blowover for an all-assault nid force, though in CoD I think a few CC-Fexes at key objectives could be vital.

Anyway, what amount of broods and what size do you think that amount of hormagaunts should be put into? Obviously, there needs to be room for manueverability, but having more bugs into combat isnt bad. More wounds for hte first turn, too. I'm thinking pretty sizeable broods, perhaps 20-30 range.

Do you guys think winged warriors would be a good back up to the Flyrant? I've already got an awesome custom flyrant model anyway, and i dont think 2 broods of three winged cc-warriors wouldn't be TOO costly. I'll be putting up a list in the lists section here real quick.

Would you guys take any biomorphs on your hormies or not? I would prefer to leave them barebones, as you can get more of them that way.

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Flying warriors in a fast assualt army are very important as your going to need the extra synapse support for all your hormagaunts. So it probally would be a good idea just to have those zoans around for a back up synapse and a little anti tank support (don't relly on them for this though).

Biomorphs on hormagaunts is really a matter of opinion and what you have in your army as well. As for example in my army I have one brood of hormagaunts so I give em AG(WS and I) so that they can make up a little for the smaller numbers while if you have a crap load to begin with it isn't as big of a problem. Though if you were to take one biomorph I would have to say AG(I) as attacking an enemy first is very important for a unit with only 3T and 6+ IMO.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input you guys. I put an army list up in that forum if you would like to check it out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

Wow, you are completely doing the same thing that I am! :cry:

What I'm doing that you haven't mentioned is: 1) The broodlord, because infiltrating is good. Plus, it intimidates your opponent and fewer hormies will get shot at 2) Gaunts, I know it's cheating because they have guns, but they are really cheap... And despite everything people tell you, Tyranids are NOT cheap! Besides gaunts anyways 3) Rippers - just because they're so freakishly cool. :shifty:
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My advice: Even if you want an "all assault" nid army you should think about throwing in some spinegaunts. They can be very effective even without shooting, cause you just fleet instead.

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

a buddy of mine is building such an army, his 2000pt list will have a flying tyrant, maybe a lictor or 2 for harrasment, 64 hormagaunts, gargoyles, raveners, gunfexes, plenty of leaping warriors, and a few zoanthropes for tank busting. it seems very viable.
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Yes, it's viable...in the same way a short ranged nuclear-shell armed artillery tank is viable. :w00t:

And lots of people have tried all-assault lists, the genestealer lists.

All-assault lists (that aren't godzilla lists) are good against casual players simply because it's extremely hard to deal with all those numbers. However, a smart player will know what to do (kill your winged stuff and watch you whither).

Basically, combined arms will be much more useful than trying to roll over everything with hormagaunts and genestealers.

However, all-assault lists should consider deep striking spore mines to help with the inevitable monstrous (no pun intended) amount of tanks you'll face.

Also, if you're going for something as crazy as an all assault list, consider a walking, assault tyrant with three tyrand guard! ^^
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast