Alaitoc, succesful with other units? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alaitoc, succesful with other units?

Greetings board members. I'm as new to this game as it gets. Introduction aside, I'm very curious about the Alaotic Eldar force. I've read Victor's guide to starting Eldar. I like the idea of using infiltrating ranger squads, but I would also like to use other types of squads (the Warp Spiders sounds interesting). So my question is, would an Alaitoc force still be succesful if I swapped some of the ranger/pathfinders squads for other types of squads?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes and no - variety equals flexibility, and for an Eldar player there's lots of variety available. There are forces that an all-ranger army cannot, or will have a great deal of trouble trying to beat (read: AV14 tanks, highly mobile close combat or swarm armies, grobblies immune to pinning). With pathfinders and rangers you can put out good AP shots with high accuracy, but not enough of them.

On the other hand, the great strength of the Alaitoc list: the force disruption roll, is directly linked to the number of ranger squads you field. Also, there are mandatory ranger squads to take.

I'd take plenty of 3 man ranger squads, one pathfinder squad, and retain two squads of elites for those lovely aspects. All in all though, it really depends what you're facing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hiya. Well what you should understand is that you are just choosing a certain model to build upon so to speak. By going Alatoic you are saying "hey I like Rangers and I want to model my force after them". So now you know that the majority of your TROOPS are going to be Ranger squads. So in a 1000 point game for instance, you would be fielding something like 4 squads of Rangers for almost 400 points. With the left over 600, you can pick whatever you like. Spiders would be good for that because they can move quickly, getting in range to support your Rangers in a turn or two tops. Scorpions are another good unit as they can infiltrate as well, providing cc support for your Rangers. You will most likely want some heavy support as well for those tanks you will invariably run up against. Hope that helps you out a bit and good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Hi dude, Im the guy who wrote the Alaitoc part of the eldar newbie guide, and I´ll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

For your question about using warp spiders, go ahead. Alaitoc eldar needs at least a few mobile close range/cc elements to be successful, and warp spiders fills that role quite good, although they will struggle against marine armies. AFAIK, I suggested to have two units of pathfinders and one unit of either scorpions or spiders as your elites in the guide and I still stand by that, but I advise you not to take anything but rangers for troops.. it is simply not worth it.

Also, remember that the entire eldar codex will be redone this fall, and that stocking up on models that might get nerfed,changed in ways that make them less useful in conjunction with other units, or outperformed by another unit that gets boosted is unwise. For example, I imagine that the new shining spears will be able to outperform scorps and spiders as the mobile punch of your army, and updated troop elements such as the improved DAs might become a worthwile addition to your ranger force, which will possibly be rendered less effective by the loss of their disruption roll. So hold your horses dude, now is not a great time for starting an eldar army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies so far. A new codex sounds like a good thing for me and from what you tell me it sounds like Alaitoc will become a little more mixed once it is out. I am in no real hurry to start an army as I need to research my local 40k community some more first. I will "hold my horses" as you say and settle with learning to paint my space marines for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

A wise descision, welcome to the board. :yes:
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

That is a good decision Is it the Smurfs in the 40K boxed set? Thats what I practice painted on before hitting up my Eldar with the pot'n'brush. Better to work it out on the less important things before moving up to an army of honor and value:shifty:

Just kiddin' ya! Pay me no mind, I've turned into a hard-core Eldar player from getting so much grief around my gaming club. Only one other full-time Eldar player there besides me and boy was he happy when I showed up. Both of us play Ulthwe regularly, and both of us are the only smokers. That has nothing to do with anything, but I thought it funny.

Remember, you must play Eldar with pride, and be confident that you are superior to all non-Eldar players! :w00t:
    Arvan'drynn Craftworld - 15,000pts (deceased)
    Tau - 2,000 points (atomized while on patrol)

+ Reply to Thread