Grand Assault - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Grand Assault

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to be defending in a Cityfight Grand Assault this coming weekend. I'll be getting 1000 points to my Necron opponent's 2000! Ick. He'll be fielding his Monolith and Nightbringer for sure.

Any suggestions or comments? I've got a feeling I don't have much of a chance on this one.

Now, per this particular Mission's Special Rules, it says Preliminary Bombardment is in effect. But does that mean the attacker gets it for free? And only him? We've yet to play with this rule so I'm confused as to exactly what to expect.

Also, is it worth it to spend a few of my precious few points on Defenses? I'm assuming, when it says I can spend 4d6x10 points on them, those points come out of my army's 1000 points, right? They aren't extra? That's how we read it anyway. Since I rolled a total of 13, I can spend up to 130 points on Defenses and the other 870 on my army?

Any and all help greatly appreciated,

Scorching Dawn

<span style='color:orange'>And the lands shall burn from horizon to horizon.
    Just as the sun cannot be prevented from rising,
    Neither can the inevitable be halted or avoided.
    Hive Fleet Infernus shall scorch all worlds in its path.
    </span>

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Preliminary Bombardment is on main rulebook page 135, check there. It says clearly who uses it. And no, they do not need to pay points for it.

As for the equipment, the way I read the Cityfight rules is that You MAY spend that many points on equipment. If You choose to buy extra stuff, the points are taken from Your army total, but You do not HAVE to buy extra gadgets.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

The best idea would be to get a guard army and tie the nightbringer down with Mike the guardsman from the &#39;lost in space&#39; forum near the bottom of the forum list. You&#39;ll have a hard time otherwise, just take plenty of genestealers and some zoanthropes with warp blasts, they just love killing marines and necrons. I&#39;m not sure on the rules but I don&#39;t think they can get up if they aren&#39;t allowed a save.
    --Monsieur

"Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours"
    -Zen proverb
    Have you been touched?
    Pirate's Haven

USE TEH REP BUTTON

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AFAIK, Necrons can&#39;t get back up if...

- You used Rending Claws or a power weapon in close combat
    - Your attack is twice their toughness
    - You can isolate them, so there&#39;s no other Necron with 6"
    - Their deaths cause the phase out.

Not sure about the last one, but I think it&#39;s also true.

My advice for this scenario is to take 3 Zoanthropes, 3 Biovores and 1 Carnifex as your heavy support choice. Hopefully you can whittle down the Necron numbers before they get in shooting range. Then just max out on Genestealers and take a squad or two of Gargoyles, plus the Winged HT + Guard squad. If you&#39;re playing by the old Assault Rules then you should be able to sweeping advance through the bulk of his army, and just go for the phase out. If the Monolith tries to get your attention, don&#39;t bat an eyelid. Necron Warriors are easily the weakest Necrons that count towards the phase out rule, so you should be able to scythe through them in no time at all.

But I haven&#39;t played Cityfight before, so don&#39;t trust everything I say.

-=Count Jasper=-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x7)

- You used Rending Claws or a power weapon in close combat
    --- RenClws only do this when they hit on a 6. A RC that hits on some other result, and thus doesn&#39;t ignore the save, the Necrons can get back up from.

- Their deaths cause the phase out.

Not sure about the last one, but I think it&#39;s also true.
    --- Wrong. Phase out is calculated only after the WBB-rolls are made.

I really wouldn&#39;t take a Winged HT in a Cityfight scenario. Walking Tyrant, Guards, and Flesh Hooks on them all.

Also, rather Leaping Gaunts than Gargoyles. One brood of Gargoyles can be useful, but not two. Any decent Cityfight table should have enough difficult terrain to make Winged Tyranids much less potent.

For Hvy Support I agree with CountJasper, max out &#39;Thropes and &#39;Vores, one Carnifex. I prefer &#39;Fexes with ranged capability, but in Cityfight that might not be essential. FlsHks a must.

I&#39;d probably take FH on everything that could have it. If You don&#39;t want to model it, ask Your opponents permission to field ALL applicable creatures with FH, paying the points and keeping in mind the biomorph limits, but not actually modeling them.

Edit:
    Forgot that Tyranids are the defender, d&#39;oh&#33; In that case, FH aren&#39;t necessary on everything, though I&#39;d still take them on the Tyrant, Guards and larger creatures which should be used to counterassault the Necrons.

2000pts of Necrons as attackers against 1000pts of &#39;Nids seems rather unbalanced... Hope You do good. Crush those Annoying-shell-with-no-flesh-creatures&#33;
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bhah. Lost. Though it was a close game. It came to the last round and his Lord was able to kill my &#39;Fex and take all the buildings. Stoopid Necrons.

The thing I don&#39;t like about this senario is that it is designed for the defender to sit there and take a pounding throughout the game. If he can manage to survive (even barely) he wins. The problem is that this is very frustrating. I hate sitting there taking hit after hit from an overwhelming force just trying not to die too quickly. No fun in that.

Even if I had won, it was a frustrating and spychologically annoying scenario and I hope to not have to ever play it again. At least not as a defender...
    <span style='color:orange'>And the lands shall burn from horizon to horizon.
    Just as the sun cannot be prevented from rising,
    Neither can the inevitable be halted or avoided.
    Hive Fleet Infernus shall scorch all worlds in its path.
    </span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x7)

Even if I had won, it was a frustrating and spychologically annoying scenario and I hope to not have to ever play it again. At least not as a defender...
    --- Yes, much more fun with 2xpoints of Tyranids attacking the poor defender...

Maybe if I were playing SM or some shootier army, I could imagine playing Grand Assault as the defender, but as a Tyranid player I abhor the thought...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, as far as i can see, a monolith wouldnt really fit well in a street, so keep on bugging him to make difficult terrain tests if it cant. also, field mainly small bugs, with random synapse creatures...

Closed Thread