Blood angels ouch. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blood angels ouch.

Played a pickup game last week and I am still embarassed by my performance. Fought Blood Angels for the first time. Got tooled.....BAD. SO bad that I shook hands, thanked the dude for the lesson, and went home.
    I had brought 2000 pts but we settled on 1850. I dropped the Lith and just let everything else alone. I have played around 20 games this list and lost twice (darn Imperial Fists).

It goes something like this
    Lord w/orb and phylactery

14 warriors
    14 warriors
    14 warriors

3 destroyers
    4 destroyers
    10 scarabs

3 heavies
    2 spiders
    I might have been 100 pts shy but I "thought" no big deal....I ROCK!

He had
    Chaps w/6 DC
    3 squads 6-8 Marines one with razorback las cannon
    2 squads of 8 scouts
    3 baal's
    2 speeders as separate units.
    Furioso dread in pod

DC ended up at eleven after the rolls.

Now. I have played some assaulting armies before. I have always been able to shoot my way out. Not this time.
    He had scouts on one end of the table and jump pack DC on the other. Baals in the middle. They met in the middle about turn four while I was phasing.

So, I know we are necrons but jeez. Tooled. C'tan could not have saved me. Lith may have killed some infantry but, not enough.

Only thing I can think of is a lord with res and a warscythe and some immortals. I just finished a unit of 10 but even with a toughness of five, I don't think we could have withstood a charge more that one round.
    Pariah's could have worked as a stopper.

I don't even know what I'm asking...maybe it was inevitable.

I killed one speeder, three DC, and one SM. That is it. All that gauss....for nothing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Ouch man. That is a beating. I think any kind of CC unit could have helped a large squad of scarabs to hold them up. I've never used wraiths or flayed ones so im not sure about how effective they would have been. The undying army feels ur pain...
    2500pts Emperors Children
    1000pts Dark Eldar Cabal of Agony Eternal
    3000pts Tyranids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O_O Posts in triplicate O_O

I agree with you, Davesnothereman, the only word for that is OUCH. Laughing God is right, right, right- scarabs would have been a good fix to keep any of those big nasty CC units tied up and stop his pincer strategy. It is an age old tactical maneuver, and the best way to stop one is to break it up. Make sure his units do not all meet correctly in the middle, especially not at the same time. Without the other parts of his force, any one bit is left unsupported, and so they rely on getting back together (on top of you) very fast.

That's where your strategy comes in. Break up one of the weaker arms of his assault, say the scouts. Or you could focus all of your fire on the DC to stop them from crashing into you. Regardless, you needed concentrated fire to eliminate one of the "side ar,s" of his assault, allowing you somewhere to go to run fron the other half.

as for the vehicles- how did you not kill 3 baals (short range) in 4 turns with 3 HD's and 7 regular Destroyers!? :wacko: I would have ignored the speeders- dangerous, I know, but they're just a nuisance, hence the seperate units.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Against such an army your best counter is the following:
    Veil of darkness and the monolith. The ability to pull your guys out of a really bad situation is your best friend. The monolith wouldn't have been touched with what he had, except maybe the single lascannon(but those would have been a lucky shot/attack) and furiouso , but it should die the turn it comes in.

That BA list is pretty nasty, but it can be beat by sitting back and getting a few turns to really pound him.

scarabs to tie up the DC or scouts right away, because the Assault cannons will wipe them off the board, and fast. your destroyers concentrating on anti-speeder first off and then the baals.
    Baals are nice but they only have a 24'' range with those assault cannons. If he drives them right up the middle the first turn, that should be one or two dead baals right off. if you're assaulted, use the lord/monolith to blip them out of the combat ASAP and PARTICLE WHIP that squad that didn't get to consolidate, no armor, no feel no pain, just POOF. Its so nasty, it makes me shudder. Instead of the spiders, I would have been inclined to take a second lord with resorb and VoD to get your guys out of combat and to blast em. The key is, don't join the lord up with the squad, put him in the middle of the squad so he can't be attacked.
    Just my take on it, it sucks when you get the game handed to you like that, this helps.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

not to say that you are a bad player, but i dont know what you could have done wrong..
    Baals should have been dissapeared so quickly if just for 3 points per base, you gave your scarabs disruption fields and attacked with them. 30 attacks needing a 6? difficult, but not impossible. plus, how did destroyers and heavies not mangle them? did you have the laughing god of bad rolls? If so.. i cry for you... but since i am metal and have no tear ducts... i just... grimace... and since my face doesnt move as its made of metal... you wont notice...

My one comment on your list is that you look like a damn shooty army. Maybe a good idea for tau but necrons... not sure. Shooty armies need something that is really shooty.... the monolith would have been essential. D6 shots on all units in range, meaning you dont need to target a single squad and making it good for overcrowding... particle whips with huge strength, the ability to move necrons and retake WBB rolls... its a godsend. It was a large enough battle, and really
    i myself would have had one spider, one heavy, two squads of two destroyers and added the monolith.

Next time... dont shake his hand, glare at him, and declare your hatred of his kind, and all life existing within the universe... and then you'll find you will feel more in character.

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

I'm not all that veteran to 40k yet, but I operate a Necron force and have had the opportunity (or misfortune) to have played a large number of games primarily against my buddy who got me back into 40k - and he plays Blood Angels.

He uses a lot of Baals, is a DC + mega-chaplain w/ jump packs *****, and overloads on assault (probably too much for his own good).

I've found that he's most effective when he deploys his DC front and center, not on the flank as it seems was done in the report you gave. When the DC is on a flank, I basically just avoid it ... I use the 'lith when needed and the VoD to shift my guys the heck away from his DC as it charges, and if necessary assault them as suggested w/ scarabs or anything expendable to tie them up and slow them down. I tend to go a little heavy destroyer "heavy" as even though they are expensive and kill-able, they're very good at killing off vehicles and marines (IMO, maybe I just roll well, as I see a lot of heavy-destroyer hate out there) and even terms.

The problem w/ the DC IMO is that they suck up too much fire. A good opponent will deploy it right in your face and make you deal. Save up a nasty 'lith ordnance shot for them when they get in range, and blow up all his VP-granting units quickly first. I've found that when I waste too much fire on the DC of the sort that they can stand back up from, it's equivalent to throwing firepower at other necrons, and can be really frustrating.

Anyway I'm rambling ... I haven't actually lost to my buddy yet (maybe he sucks), but there've been a ton of close calls, so I feel your pain. My best advice is to use your teleport-related mobility to stay the heck out of close combat, and gun down as many of his "soft" (not that this applies to marines that much) units first, so that you limit his options to something like the DC only. Also, BA's don't have all that much anti-monolith unless they gimp a lot of their high quality melee'esque abilities to snag it seems like. Either way they go, take out their anti-monolith abilities ASAP and retain your mobility, and it's a game of bounce-around with the DC until the end of the game once you down the rest of his easier-to-kill crap.

Gah, what a rambling post. Long story short - don't get caught up by the things that need to heavily engage you to smash you up. Kill off his heavy weapons fast, then outmaneuver his attempts to tie you up in CC using the 'lith's and lord's teleport abilities. Until forced to teleport, use the 'liths ordnance on the DC the moment they're in range.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by theyak
    Against such an army your best counter is the following:
    Veil of darkness and the monolith. The ability to pull your guys out of a really bad situation is your best friend. The monolith wouldn't have been touched with what he had, except maybe the single lascannon(but those would have been a lucky shot/attack) and furiouso , but it should die the turn it comes in.

That BA list is pretty nasty, but it can be beat by sitting back and getting a few turns to really pound him.

scarabs to tie up the DC or scouts right away, because the Assault cannons will wipe them off the board, and fast. your destroyers concentrating on anti-speeder first off and then the baals.
    Baals are nice but they only have a 24'' range with those assault cannons. If he drives them right up the middle the first turn, that should be one or two dead baals right off. if you're assaulted, use the lord/monolith to blip them out of the combat ASAP and PARTICLE WHIP that squad that didn't get to consolidate, no armor, no feel no pain, just POOF. Its so nasty, it makes me shudder. Instead of the spiders, I would have been inclined to take a second lord with resorb and VoD to get your guys out of combat and to blast em. The key is, don't join the lord up with the squad, put him in the middle of the squad so he can't be attacked.
    Just my take on it, it sucks when you get the game handed to you like that, this helps.

This advice is all perfect and spot on. This is why I hate the Necron army, and why my BA successors often get swatted by them. Follow this advice; it's good.

+ Reply to Thread