Warrior Or Raider Squads? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overall which do you find the most effective? I must admit that Raider Squads go nicely with the army's character

but a warrior squad can Punish Space Marine squads so well... 2 Dark Lances and 2 Blasters then once the suvivors charge your supperior Initiative and well equiped Syberite finish them off.

However a Raider squad is excelent at capturing and re-enforcing objectives and planting web way portals.

“Someone I know calls a Sphinx a Sphincter I really don’t have the heart to correct them?
    “So you want to be made feel like a small boy and dominated do you? How about you dress up as Micky Mouse and I‘ll hit you with a baseball bat until you pass out or die??

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

They serve entirely different purposes. There are two typical layouts for warrior squads:

10 Warriors including two lances
    This type, often called a sniper squad, is supposed to stay on the back of the battlefield and to limit the movement options of the enemy's vehicles. Blasters are useless in this type of squad, because it won't ever see an opponent within 12" - it will be ignored, or shot with long range weaponry. However, a blaster could only be used if the opponent comes within 12" of that squad, if he moves within 18" then you theoretically could shoot the blasters too, but then you lose the lance shots and you find yourself within the opponent's rapid fire/charge range next turn - therefore the use of a blaster is very limited in such a squad. I'd spend the points elsewhere.

13/17 warriors, two splinter cannons, two blasters, eventually a sybarithe with agonizer.
    These are supposed to provide some moving firepower at medium range. With their numbers, they're quite resilient against morale, and they can provide enormous firepower against poorly armoured targets, and they are a harm any vehicles within 18". They also have a decent close combat ability, due to the sybarithe.

For raider squads, there are four typical layouts:
    5/6 warriors, splinter cannon, blaster, raider, horrorfex/disintegrator.
    This configuration is a simple gunboat with either a decent blast weapon or pinning ability (never combine disintegrator and horrorfex, you'll rather kill a bunch of troops with the dis instead if pinning them). They also can be sacrificed in order to tie up a shooty squad in close combat for a while, or in order to block LOS with th raider (or the raider wreck).

10 warriors including sybarithe with agonizer, splinter cannon, blaster, raider, horrorfex/disintegrator
    This is a very versatile squad, it can provide decent firepower and with the sybarithe it's also not bad in close combat - of course, you should never fight on fair terms with DE, two of these squads can easily finish off a tac squad in close combat.

5 warriors, dark lance, raider with horrorfex/disintegrator
    This squad is supposed to deploy the warriors on a nice location, where they then act as a cheaper sniper squad. The raider operates indpendently, it screens other more valuable raiders and can cause some damage with its lance and pinning ability or with the disintegrator.

5 warriors, blaster, splinter cannon, raider, screaming jets
    This configuration is supposed to deepstrike near annoying indirect fire weapons, such as a whirlwind. It can set off two lance/blaster shots in that turn, and eventually harm the target's rear armour with the splinter cannon. If it fails (or succeeds), then the raider will probably be destroyed. In this case, place the surviving warriors behind the wreck (remember that raider crash casualites don't cause morale checks). Unless your opponent wants to sacrifice one of his indirect shots against the protected warriors, he probably won't be able to kill them - and they can move out of their cover next turn and try again to destroy their target with splinter cannon and blaster.

jwu

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool i see we have the same basic ideas

You see i have 70 Dark Eldar warriors and i was wondering what else to buy (atm i proxie Dark Lances with Splinter Cannons)

now heres a more tactical question how do you use grotesques? i have found them to be quite effective in clense missions when lead by a suitably equiped Dracon.
    “Someone I know calls a Sphinx a Sphincter I really don’t have the heart to correct them?
    “So you want to be made feel like a small boy and dominated do you? How about you dress up as Micky Mouse and I‘ll hit you with a baseball bat until you pass out or die??

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

I don't like grotesques that much. They were useful with the old assault rules, with the new ones they aren't anymore.

With the old rules, you could use some grotesqued who get joined by a strong Lord, including a raider of course. You charge an enemy unit with them, and due to the Lord they have a quite good chance to win that close combat - the opponent automatically falls back and gets annihilated by a crossfiring reaver squad or raider.

With the new assault rules, the only job that grotesques can do better than others is screening - but they're quite expensive for a screen, usually you could have the unit which you want to screen twice if you don't try to screen them.

jwu

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking about screeing Incubi and Wyches in paticular

i don't like my assult troops falling to small arms fire before they taste their first blood

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

That won't work.

First off, in order to screen you need quite a lot of grotesques, as there may be no gap between their bases through which someone can draw LOS to the target.

They also will be able to screen against only a single squad each time, so that's simply not worth the points. Grotesques are also very slow, your wyches and HQ should be raider mounted (otherwise you're screwed anyway). If you want to stay behind that screen of grotesques, then you basically don't need these valuable units at all - because they'll never see close combat since they're too slow.
    A raider is much more efficient at screening them. Just get tons of cheap raider squads and screen the valuable units, should this become necessary, with the raider. Even if your opponent can provide a lot of firepower, the wreck cannot be entirely destroyed and there is no way to shoot a hole into it, as he could do with a grotesque formation. A raider also is a lot cheaper than grotesques, and well armed.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe they should alter the Mandrakes and Grotesques - weapons and character options, maybe.

Still, my personal favorite is the 2nd warrior option pointed out by Archon Astaroth. (20 warriors, 2 Splinters, Blasters, kitted-out Sybarite).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favourite is:
    a Raider with 9 wyches (2 with blasters/shredders) and a succubus, the raider's got a torture amp, screaming yets and desintegrator....
    Just deepstrike behind the enemy's forces, shoot,(charge with raider) tankshock and disembark in the next turn^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Grand Mazter@May 13 2003, 08:57
    Just deepstrike behind the enemy's forces, shoot,(charge with raider) tankshock and disembark in the next turn
    Oh that is Cold man... Very Cold... But good (i think i'll use that..)
    A Promise to a dead man means nothing.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

That's not a good idea...because it doesn't work at all.

The raider cannot tank shock in the turn in which it arrived (it also cannot deepstrike into an enemy unit and call it a tank shock), and in order to tank shock and disembark the troops it may not move further than 12" - which means that that's the maximal distance between the just deepstroke raider and the enemy. The result will probably be a destroyed raider, nothing else.

jwu

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast