Next Question - Destroyer/HD move/shoot rules - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Next Question - Destroyer/HD move/shoot rules

So I was pondering the effect of moving and shooting on the rules, and had another newb question.

I recognize that Destroyers/HD's cannot move and shoot, then move 6" in the assault phase a la Crystal Targetting Matrices/Eldar Jetbikes, but what I was wondering is how you determine LOS when firing d's/hd's.

What the question is, is - When determining LOS, can you determine it from any point along the Destroyer's path, as though he genuinely was firing while moving, or must it be determined from the *end* of his path, as though he moved, then stopped targeted and fired?

Graphically w/ text

Enemy unit

COVER ...... Destroyer

Destroyer moves so that you have

Enemy unit

COVER
    Destroyer

Can he fire at the enemy unit from his original non-covered los as though firing while moving, or does his los function only from where he ends up?

Naturally the result is tactically meaningful. If you can fire from along your path's los, you would only have to spend 50% of the game-time targettable, as you could move out of cover, fire in turn 1, then fire as you move back into cover on turn 2, only opening yourself to enemy fire for the one turn that you end out of los, but being able to fire in both turns.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

Additional question to minimze # of new posts - while turbo boosting prevents you from assaulting or shooting a weapon, what about using wargear?

Could you - for instance - turbo boost a destroyer lord 24" toward the line of a unit with questionable morale in turn 1/whatever, then pop off the Nightmare Shroud ... it is used instead of firing a weapon in the shooting phase, but it isn't really "shooting" anything. Obviously you could have a lot of fun against anybody with semi-tight-packed units by turbo boosting say a wing of destroyers/hd's/wraiths/scarabs with a d-lord up to their flank on turn 1, then popping off a shroud to break 'em apart and minimize the fire you take on their turn before you assault and blow 'em to pieces on turn 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the exception of a certain Eldar upgrade, the movement phase end before you may shoot. Thus, if you are shooting, your destroyer has already stopped moving, and the position where it is (physically) is where you determine LoS from.

EDIT: Argh! Too fast! Since Nightmare Shroud is an 'instead of shooting' ability, treat it as shooting, and therefore denied by Turbo Boost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MVBrandt
    So I was pondering the effect of moving and shooting on the rules, and had another newb question.

I recognize that Destroyers/HD's cannot move and shoot, then move 6" in the assault phase a la Crystal Targetting Matrices/Eldar Jetbikes, but what I was wondering is how you determine LOS when firing d's/hd's.

I beg to differ... both Destroyer types are counted as Jetbikes, they may indeed fire their heavy weapons and still assault normally. (this tactic may have its uses, to wipe out enemy units that have already taken losses by your Destroyers` Gauss fire)

You cannot shoot during the movement phase like those pesky eldar, like Orkrontyr said.
    Not in my game you won't!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

Let me clarify that I do not believe you can shoot in the movement phase. What I'm asking is "do you determine los from anywhere on your flight path *as though* you were firing on the move (logic) vs. determining los from end-path (rules?)?"

I think, though, that's still been answered with "from the end-location." Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah! No. You do indeed measure from the end position. Sorry if I was a bit unclear. And you have a good point there:

Rules do not equal Logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

Being a law student, this puts me in a catch 22 situation.

I'm supposed to trust in logic AND the "rules," yet they are at odds here

Thanks for the info. WTB petition to GW ... though I suppose it would make any jetbike unit mega-overpowered.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

remember the order of turn. MOVE then shoot. All movement must be complete before shooting.
    Eldar jetbikes get to move again in the assault phase, as such destroyers do not follow this rule.

Any time a piece of wargear or ability states that it is used INSTEAD of shooting means that if you are denied shooting for any reason you can NOT use said ability/wargear, since your oportunity for shooting is lost. Turbo boosting gives up your ability to shoot, or assault. As such they can no longer activate anything that requires action during those phases.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theyak
    remember the order of turn. MOVE then shoot. All movement must be complete before shooting.
    Eldar jetbikes get to move again in the assault phase, as such destroyers do not follow this rule.
    I was referring to the normal rules for jetbikes as stated in the main rulebook.
    Which is not what MVBrandt wanted to know, as I now realize. Forget I ever said anything.
    Not in my game you won't!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Erehwon Morf
    I was referring to the normal rules for jetbikes as stated in the main rulebook.
    Which is not what MVBrandt wanted to know, as I now realize. Forget I ever said anything.
    Done and done. Wait, what did you say?
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast