Piranha - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Piranha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Piranha

Ok, i was searching on here for a thread about the tau prianha's but i couldnt find one.

I guess im interested in people's opinions, thoughts, tactics and all the rest. I have noticed on the tau army lists section that a lot of people rarely use the piranha's especially those who are playing Mech lists, and i was interested as to why that was. It seems to me that Piranha's fit perfectly into a mech tau list. Fast mobile, good gun support.

So yeah, let me know what you think.

Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

And thats why I have 2 in my list with the option of fielding a third!

I like them, They help put the pressureon teh enemy quickly and with Fusion Blasters they pose a might threat to tanks.

Admitedly I have played much with them yet, but I do plan to more in the 2 months till my next tournament looms.

Also, I just like how they look!

Mike

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

I liked the sound of them when I first got the codex, and I proxied 3 in my 2000pt list. I equiped them with fusion and 2 seekers each.
    I wanted to use them as a fast flanking unit for taking out armour and they failed dismally.
    As soon as I got the Pirahnas close to armour they were knocked down by anything that shot at them, AV11 is ok but the fact is as soon as they get within 12" of the opponents forces the side armour was usually presented and even massed small arms fire hurt even with the glancing rule.
    I love the look of the models but they are simply to fragile, if they had a bit more weapons options it would be a bonus, I mean Lanspeeders get multi Meltas and assault cannons which extends their range and means they can stay out of harms way if needed.
    The fusion is to short ranged and the Burst cannon is pitiful for a vehicle at 60pts even with drones.
    If they had some weapons with a bit more oomph and range they would be worth it but I found them wanting and the points can be used more profitably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the last rtt i went to a tau guy came in second.
    he was using piranhas quite effectively

he hid them behind lines of fire warriors, when any cc troops got within the firwarriors RF range he would bring the piranhas out front and block off his troops. this way the enemy cc troops HAD to assault the piranhas.
    then on his next turn he would just unload on the enemy troop with the piranhas and rapid fire his FW squads. (you never count as being based with a vehicle in cc and skimmers dont block line of sight for infantry. so the enemy cc squad that had to assault the piranhas was wide open to be decimated.)
    he killed a LaTD horde army and a horde nid army this way. i dont remember who else he played, but he won that one too
    he also had 70 kroot on the board that he would always deploy on the side and just run it into the enemy flank to force the enemey into his firelanes.

guy had 162 models i think in a 1500 point game. was pretty sick.

pretty quick and easy way to defend your firelines. its nothing new though really, any skimmers in any army can do it.
    leave the moderating to the moderators

if pro is the opposite of con, does that mean progress is the opposite of congress?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by micah
    in the last rtt i went to a tau guy came in second.
    he was using piranhas quite effectively

he hid them behind lines of fire warriors, when any cc troops got within the firwarriors RF range he would bring the piranhas out front and block off his troops. this way the enemy cc troops HAD to assault the piranhas.
    then on his next turn he would just unload on the enemy troop with the piranhas and rapid fire his FW squads. (you never count as being based with a vehicle in cc and skimmers dont block line of sight for infantry. so the enemy cc squad that had to assault the piranhas was wide open to be decimated.)
    he killed a LaTD horde army and a horde nid army this way. i dont remember who else he played, but he won that one too
    he also had 70 kroot on the board that he would always deploy on the side and just run it into the enemy flank to force the enemey into his firelanes.

guy had 162 models i think in a 1500 point game. was pretty sick.

pretty quick and easy way to defend your firelines. its nothing new though really, any skimmers in any army can do it.
    The Tau players opponents seem a bit daft to me, why assault the pirahnas, why not just shoot them down, if I was in range of a pirahna squadron and FW I would pick the pirahanas anyway, The Tau player has to move the Pirahnas in his movement phase so the other player gets a movement phase to either circumvent the pirahhas or move to get better LOS to the side / rear armour or move away from them, I would like to see that tactic work against MEQ armies, this is a poor relation to the FOF and seems a poor use of the pirahna.
    I know for a fact that nids and LATD do not HAVE to assualt anybody, if you dont wanna assualt you dont have to, major flaw in the guys tactic right there.

The Pirahna only has AV11 max and that means its open to damage from a lot of weaponry especially the side armour which can be exploited by moving around the pirahnas.
    Nids especially should be able to get around this tactic with the speed of their list.
    The Kroot tactic is a bit suspect to, why let the kroot force movement I would just stand my ground and mow them down becasue concentrating fire on them is easier than taking down FW and accounts for a massive chunk of the opponents points.

I think this is less of a recommendsation for Pirahnas and more of a recommendation to fight decent opponents.

Also another flaw in this tactic the enemy can ignore the vehicle and shoot the FW anyway because as you said skimmers dont block LOS, which reduces the return fire taken.

Tell the Tau player that the best way to do this tactic is to disembark the Pirahnas drones behind the FW lines move the Pirahnas away and have the drones jump in front of the FW, they force target priority tests and block assualts and they dont cost 60pts. the Drones form a unit when disembarked all drones have to disembark at the same time and with 3 Pirahans you have a 6 strong drones squad doing the same job the pirahnas were doing but better and the pirahnas can go work some where else instead of being an expensive shield. Thats a tactic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well he came in second at an rtt with about 40 people. couldnt have been that bad

i meant they HAD to assault the piranhas because you cant assault around an enemy unit if you come within an inch of it. the typical 6" assault wont give you that kind of range.
    genestealers have nothing to shoot past piranhas intead the fw's. might as well try to pop a few with rending. even then they are still open to shooting since you get no conolidation off vehicles.
    the LaTD guy had a pf on his champ so figured hed try to pop the piranha. didnt work, and even if it did he still would have got shot to hell next turn.

maybe not the best tactics employed by his enemy, but i dont think they were expecting a shield of piranhas.
    the sheer number of kroot was what was forcing movement, he had almost 80 kroot/hounds that he deployed all together. thats alot. even after 3 rounds of ordnance from the LaTD guy, there was still a considerable amount of kroot left.
    none of his opponents really had the ability to mow down that many kroot.
    leave the moderating to the moderators

if pro is the opposite of con, does that mean progress is the opposite of congress?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Piranhas give you a cheap (70 pts with TA) high strengh, low AP weapon that can be used for high risk attacks on the enemy...

Oh no! a drop pod dreadnought!
    Look! A Iron warriors Deamon Prince that runs to you while the rest of the chaos army cowers in cover...

I find it gives me flexibility and I can use it in situations I would not expose my 2 Railheads.

Toss in one markerlight and voila! you're hitting at 2+

But it's still like anything else in our army... It simply can't "rambo" alone like a SM tactical squad... It must work in concert with the rest of our army.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by micah
    well he came in second at an rtt with about 40 people. couldnt have been that bad

i meant they HAD to assault the piranhas because you cant assault around an enemy unit if you come within an inch of it. the typical 6" assault wont give you that kind of range.
    genestealers have nothing to shoot past piranhas intead the fw's. might as well try to pop a few with rending. even then they are still open to shooting since you get no conolidation off vehicles.
    the LaTD guy had a pf on his champ so figured hed try to pop the piranha. didnt work, and even if it did he still would have got shot to hell next turn.

maybe not the best tactics employed by his enemy, but i dont think they were expecting a shield of piranhas.
    the sheer number of kroot was what was forcing movement, he had almost 80 kroot/hounds that he deployed all together. thats alot. even after 3 rounds of ordnance from the LaTD guy, there was still a considerable amount of kroot left.
    none of his opponents really had the ability to mow down that many kroot.
    Sorry but I am still a bit confused here, Genestealers get fleet so thats a 6" move D6 fleet and a 6" assault, now the Tau player moves the pirahna in his movement phase, so the nid player gets a his movement, the fleet and his assualt move to get around the Pirahnas, thats 13" minimum and 18" max.
    If I was far enough away that I would not make the assault around the pirahnas, I would simply not move towards them, like I said the opponents do not seem over competent.

*0 Kroot on one flank jesus I would love to see that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

I always take 1 Piranha (Piranha works best when it's alone..) w/ Fusion, Decoy, and Target Array .. 75 points. It's a 75 points gift box wrapped in red hot fusion power to your opponent's land raider, lemen russ, defiler, or even lone-HQ.

Use it to hug terrains along the table edge, always move them 24" whenever possible to hide behind another piece of terrain. Dont launch them until you have a clear shot (make sure you are in range for the melta shot) to any pest vehicle or HQs w/ toughness of 4.. One shot, one kill, that 75 points is redeemed. :shifty: Always disembark your drone before you take your shot.
    Anima Tactics - try it out!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by nekochen
    I always take 1 Piranha (Piranha works best when it's alone..) w/ Fusion, Decoy, and Target Array .. 75 points. It's a 75 points gift box wrapped in red hot fusion power to your opponent's land raider, lemen russ, defiler, or even lone-HQ.

Use it to hug terrains along the table edge, always move them 24" whenever possible to hide behind another piece of terrain. Dont launch them until you have a clear shot (make sure you are in range for the melta shot) to any pest vehicle or HQs w/ toughness of 4.. One shot, one kill, that 75 points is redeemed. :shifty: Always disembark your drone before you take your shot.
    The thing I dont like about the 24" move is you canot fire and then your stuck in the open very close to the opponent with AV11(max) armour, given the fact that your trying to get close (6") to destroy a vehicle (remember you cannot take multi on a pirahna so you have to within 12" so you cant stay out at 18" to avoid some shooting (12" move plus 6" range of weapon)).
    This means you have to end up within 12" of the vehicle to be able to move and still get the 2D6 bonus within 6").
    This means your within a foot of a vehicle with weaponry of its own, is this a good thing? well I know for one that is isn't after losing Pirahnas to heavy bolters, massed bolter fire, multilasers, and assualt cannons.
    80pts may not seem much and the pirahna can make its points back sometimes but I find them just way to fragile, like I said if they had equivalent weapons to landspeeders (assualt cannons, multi melta's range of 24" and 12" for the 2D6, heavy bolter type weapon) they would be wortwhile as they stand I just do not rate them, and to add further insult Landspeeders dont even rate as open topped because of the Marines armour, Tau have been screwed with the Pirahna, they are a 3rd rate landspeeder.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast