Just starting, help appreciated. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    pen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just starting, help appreciated.

Hello everyone, I'm just about to start my first 40k army, and of course I've chosen the awesome 'nids, but before I go completely bat**** insane with my models I'd love to get some good advice from experienced players.
    I've bought the 50£/750SEK starter box, for reference, but will buy more soon... =)

What I'd like to do with the army (~800-1000p) is to have lots and lots of gaunts up close really fast, and advance with genestealers to the best of my ability, which makes my army sort of focused on close combat... My basic idea of a list would be something like:

--

HQ: Tyrant or Bloodlord w/ genestealers

ELITE: Warriors capable of leaping (synape to the gaunts) and shooty weapons. By staying out of CC I hope to keep them a while

TROOPS: Lots of CC gaunts, and some genestealers (2:1 ratio?)

FAST ATTACK: none (?)

HEAVY SUPPORT: A 'Gunfex', capable of taking out big stuff/stuff I don't like, and probably/hopefully 1-2 CC carnifexes which will slowly advance.

--

I would love it if you critique the basic concept of the list, but the list itself is not the only reason I'm here (hence why this is not in the army list sub forum), I was also wondering if my shooty termagaunts (not yet assembled!) are... well... a good supplement, or if I should buy a conversion kit or something (with lots and lots of scything talons :3) and turn them into hormagaunts. What should I do with them?

A third thing I was wondering is if you would be so kind as to suggest suitable upgrades for my units (preferably without too many abbreviations, I've yet to buy the actual codex *embarrassed* or remember all the upgrades available.

On a slightly unrelated note I've decided to go with a fairly dark theme, brown/beige, and will try to upload a few photos of some hormagaunts (I've so far only painted 8 of them (but in one day!), and begun on my gunfex - possibly a bad move, seeing as how it might or might not be a good choice to have one in my little army)

Ah, I almost forgot, this is an army I'm going to play against my friends with... (And they are playing marines, tau, orks, witch hunters.... Well, basically they all have different armies, which mean I'd like a balanced, adaptable (edit: and fun!) list (sorry if I'm asking for too much here ). They are currently playing 40min/400p games - but that'll probably change in a while - , so any thoughts on what to put on the table in the smaller battles would be of great help too)

I'd love to hear your views on "my" concept, lots of CCgaunts getting into battle fast, stealers advancing to the best of their abilities, a gunfex and/or biovore squad (???) to stop the big stuff, warriors staying close to the front, but with ranged weapons (synapse+surviveability?) and a PHAT tyrant or bloodlord - and of course CC fexes - to make mincemeat out of even the strongest of opponents.

Thank you for reading /pen.

Last edited by pen; August 5th, 2006 at 12:46.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ELITE: Warriors capable of leaping (synape to the gaunts) and shooty weapons. By staying out of CC I hope to keep them a while
    ok shooty warriors are alright but CC 1s with wings or leaping rock even more with scything talons and rending claws.

for HQ get both. make hive tyant winged with 2 sets of scything talons with toxin sacs, warp field. brood lord will want extended carapace and flesh hooks, all ur stealers should get flesh hooks just for the reason of assaulting through terrain.

if u want CC gaunts then why are u getting shooty 1s? it's okay you can just make alot of hormagaunts the squads, 3 Troops as 32 hormies each, and 1 squad of shooty gaunts fleshborers are fine and the last 2 troops as those stealers.

gunfexes are quite good either with barb strangler/venom cannon or venom cannon/venom cannon. CC fexes are good to to make them cost to much thoe keep it at no more than 200pts each.

i don't have much to say for upgrades since my codex isn't with me.

marines, tau, orks, witch hnters... hmm i've given some choices as to want you might want. marines you'll want to get into CC ASAP and keep ur strong guys from getting the most or least shot at. same with tau but as soon u get in assault with tau their pretty much dead. orks... swarm vs swarm eh i don't have much advise there and those witch hunters are going to be pretty close to the same stratagy with marines.

for those low pt games make the HQ warriors about 100pts. 2 sqauds of hormagaunts 'bout 300 or less depending on what you want u give them and how many there will be in the 2 squads. there may be something elase u might wanna use such as stealers depending on what ur fighting.

im not that great at giving battle advice srry .
    Last edited by Shriker; August 5th, 2006 at 17:43.
    hive fleet of tyranids-2000pts
    bad moonz orks-1500ptz
    Orcs clan Red 'Eads-1000pts

pen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay, finally a reply ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Shriker
    ok shooty warriors are alright but CC 1s with wings or leaping rock even more with scything talons and rending claws.
    I thought one (or possibly two) gunfexes might not be enough firepower, but if the warriors manage to stay alive 1-2 turns in CC I guess the rest of the force (read: stealers & bloodlord :3 ) would probably be in range, thus getting the whole synapse issure

for HQ get both. make hive tyant winged with 2 sets of scything talons with toxin sacs, warp field. brood lord will want extended carapace and flesh hooks, all ur stealers should get flesh hooks just for the reason of assaulting through terrain.
    I don't think I can afford both at this stage (pointwise, most opponents in the 'group' don't have enough for epic battles just yet ;P), but I will - of course - get them both

if u want CC gaunts then why are u getting shooty 1s? it's okay you can just make alot of hormagaunts the squads, 3 Troops as 32 hormies each, and 1 squad of shooty gaunts fleshborers are fine and the last 2 troops as those stealers.
    I was merely questioning if the shooties were worth their points or if I should buy spare parts and turn them into hormagaunts . I might keep them as they are - maybe a tad modified - to be able to use them as spineagaunts in lowpoint battles (5p/model? ).

gunfexes are quite good either with barb strangler/venom cannon or venom cannon/venom cannon. CC fexes are good to to make them cost to much thoe keep it at no more than 200pts each.

i don't have much to say for upgrades since my codex isn't with me.
    I've already glued the 'fex in the set together => turning him into a Gunfex, but yes, I will try to keep the points down. One of the main reasons I wanted warriors with ranged weapons was to possibly take out annoying things the gunfex(es?) didn't, thus giving me a little more firepower - already lacking in that area with a CC army containing only a gunfex or two, which felt insufficient...

marines, tau, orks, witch hnters... hmm i've given some choices as to want you might want. marines you'll want to get into CC ASAP and keep ur strong guys from getting the most or least shot at. same with tau but as soon u get in assault with tau their pretty much dead. orks... swarm vs swarm eh i don't have much advise there and those witch hunters are going to be pretty close to the same stratagy with marines.
    Yeah, that's the core tactic of Tyranids, from what I can tell (been looking at some of the nifty threads on this page), lots of gaunts getting into CC, followed by bigger and meaner things to finish the foes off

for those low pt games make the HQ warriors about 100pts. 2 sqauds of hormagaunts 'bout 300 or less depending on what you want u give them and how many there will be in the 2 squads. there may be something elase u might wanna use such as stealers depending on what ur fighting.
    Yeah, that's one build that could work... But I wonder, could something like this work also (for 400p):

----

HQ
    Bloodlord, toxic sacs&extended carpace 90p
    6 genestealers 96p

TROOPS:
    12 spineagaunts 60p
    8 Hormagaunts, AG +I 88p

HS:
    Zoanthrope, mind blast & hive mind (bah! names!?) 65p

TOTAL: 399p

Basically cover everyone/thing with spineagaunts, and with hormagaunts behind them to charge on turn 2, hopefully without big losses, and let the zoanthrope aid with synapse (that AND Bloodlord, which will move in for the CC kill ) *note* I've never played 40k, lol, is this even a working list? */note*

edit: Of course the zoanthrope is also there to wipe out some marine butts ;P My buddy who in the end managed to get me to play will get his royal ARSE kicked I hope ;D

---

im not that great at giving battle advice srry .
    Hey, it's always nice to get some feedback and advice, thanks alot :3
    Last edited by pen; August 5th, 2006 at 19:08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you want more fire power then you could make the warriors shooty but they can only use 1 weapon a turn when u do so it makes u get close combat weapons anyway. u could give the shooty weapons and be on the mov and give support in assault with rending claws.

HQ
    6 genestealers 96p

TROOPS:
    12 spineagaunts 60p
    8 Hormagaunts, AG +I 88p

HS:

hmm... yeh it'll work but the broodlord can have 5-11 so take out a stealer and bring in some more hormaguants, so they won't die before they get in assault, ur spinegaunts my want to assault just to keep the enemy from shootin' at them (it's a tactic some1 used on me that kept me from gettin' at his bigger stuff for a while).
    bad moonz orks-1500ptz

pen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you want more fire power then you could make the warriors shooty but they can only use 1 weapon a turn when u do so it makes u get close combat weapons anyway. u could give the shooty weapons and be on the mov and give support in assault with rending claws.
    :o
    Wow! I didn't know they could only have only one ranged (/only shoot with one), thanks for the GREAT advice ;D Now I'll be able to make them even more efficient ^_^

hmm... yeh it'll work but the broodlord can have 5-11 so take out a stealer and bring in some more hormaguants, so they won't die before they get in assault, ur spinegaunts my want to assault just to keep the enemy from shootin' at them (it's a tactic some1 used on me that kept me from gettin' at his bigger stuff for a while).
    Yeah, the purpose of the spinegaunts are just there to take... well... ALL the hits (I hope) since they are closest to the enemy, and when the hormagaunts (behind the spinegaunts) are in range they will charge the enemy ;3

I don't know about taking one less stealer... I was hoping that the gaunts would keep the enemy busy until they could get close (I'll charge with both spines AND horma as soon as they are in range), and that the zoanthrope's mindblast would teach the human scum a lesson ;p

I might drop one though, you've got a very valid point ('nids are swarmers after all.. ;D )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pen
    HQ
    6 genestealers 96p

TROOPS:
    12 spineagaunts 60p
    8 Hormagaunts, AG +I 88p

HS:

Basically cover everyone/thing with spineagaunts, and with hormagaunts behind them to charge on turn 2, hopefully without big losses, and let the zoanthrope aid with synapse (that AND Bloodlord, which will move in for the CC kill ) *note* I've never played 40k, lol, is this even a working list? */note*

edit: Of course the zoanthrope is also there to wipe out some marine butts ;P My buddy who in the end managed to get me to play will get his royal ARSE kicked I hope ;D
    hate to burst your buble, but 2 wounds per model max and no 2+ saves in CP. making both the zoanthrope and broodlord illegal. anoying or what?

pen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wakopanda
    hate to burst your buble, but 2 wounds per model max and no 2+ saves in CP. making both the zoanthrope and broodlord illegal. anoying or what?
    D;

That's pretty annoying, yes :/

Hopefully, since I'll play with friends, it might be ok, but I'll probably just switch the bloodlord with warriors (set up sort of like Shriker suggested) and I dunno... a ravenger or more gaunts or something... That list was kind of badass though, at least in my head *sob*

It sort of excludes my 'fex too... My wallet will probably feel this :cry:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's only for combat patrol games, otherwise u can use 2+ saves and stuff with more than 2 wounds.
    bad moonz orks-1500ptz

pen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's only for combat patrol games, otherwise u can use 2+ saves and stuff with more than 2 wounds.
    Sadly it is 40k in 40min (=combat patrol) >_>

*NEWS* I've bougt one more starter box ( á 50£) and will use something like this:

--

HQ: 3warriors, 2x deathsplitter, 1x venomcannon, 3xschything talons, 3x +1 BS, leaping.

ELITE: 3warrirs, 3x schything talons, 3x rending claws, 3x leaping, ????(upgrades, maybe +1S, or EC?)

TROOPS:

10-16 Spinegaunts

8-10 Hormagaunts (+1I)

X-X Genestealers (Will try to make sure I can afford at least the minimum amount of stealers, and will cut down on other troops/upgrades on warriors to make it happen)

--

(pasted from my thread in the 'nid army lists subforum)

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

IMO your warriors should have EC everytime as this up their survivabilty by ton (yay we get an armor save against bolters now). Also your shooty warriors deffinatly don't need leaping as they will be shooting mainly so this wil free up a bit of points for your warriors. I generally don't like spinegaunts but in this small of a battle you probally will need all the points you can get but if you have any lying around you may want to upgrade em to termagaunts (though this of course is my personal opinion).
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast