'stealer list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'stealer list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'stealer list

i've just started 'nids, because i just love stealers, and as result i am trying a stealer list. firstly do they work? i think the general idea is that if you get into assault, you've won.

anyway, i have
    40-50 stealer's,
    14 spine gaunts,
    3 rippers,
    9 spore mines
    and a broodlord.

is this a good basis for a 1000pt army? (sorry typo, meant 1000 not 100)

any tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Last edited by drumbum8000; August 5th, 2006 at 23:29.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by drumbum8000
    i've just started 'nids, because i just love stealers, and as result i am trying a stealer list. firstly do they work? i think the general idea is that if you get into assault, you've won.

anyway, i have
    40-50 stealer's,
    14 spine gaunts,
    3 rippers,
    9 spore mines
    and a broodlord.

is this a good basis for a 100 pt army?

thanks
    You must mean a 1000 pt army... 40 stealers is over 600 points, without any upgrades. But yes, I would say that you have a pretty big pile of bugs there. I don't play an all-stealer list, but a guy at my GW does and he seems pretty happy with it. Scuttlers is going to be important for you, and I would think carapace would be halpful, although my all-stealer friend doesn't use it....

The only problem with an all-stealer army is that anyone with half a brain is going to load up on heavy bolters and toast them all. I would recommend getting a tyrant with carapace or warp field, and maybe some zoan's, just to draw fire away and force your opponent to bring along some lascannons.

I'm actually building a very similar army, except I'm using hormogaunts as well. It helps to have some lower-points bugs on the table, just so you don't get overwhelmed.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

anyway, i have
    40-50 stealer's,
    14 spine gaunts,
    3 rippers,
    9 spore mines
    and a broodlord.

is this a good basis for a 100 pt army?

thanks
    Well 100pts is a damn small list:shifty:, but seriously your models are not the best selection.
    Stealers need to have some distraction elements in the rest of the list and in a 1000pt list you should not be aiming for more than 2 units, I use Scuttle and ext car for 23pts a model so 2 units of 12 is gonna cost 552 pts.
    That is expensive but if you want effective stealers it is in my opinion the minimum pts per model. the scuttle allows you to get closer and to react to things like infiltrators etc and the ext carapice gives you a save against most infantry weapons (important).
    So that leaves you with 448 pts, I would go for 2 untis of 10 hormies for 200pts they will support the stealers by getting into CC fast and blocking LOS etc.
    Synapse is a problem the Broodlord has to use a retinue which limits the Stealers you can take as seperate units and he is slow, me I would lose him and take a unit of Warriors with leaping and rending / STalons / Ext cara / Tox sacks for 38 pts a model thats 114 for the unit.
    I would also recomend a basic Carnifex with barbed strangler and twin linked devourers and enhanced senses for 123 pts.
    With this lot you have HQ and synpase with the warriors, you have 2 units of Stealers, 2 units of Hormies and a gunfex for ranged cover.
    You could swap out a unit of Hormies to take your spineguants if you want to take them.

The models I recomended would total 989 pts, this is only advice and you could down grade the Stealers to make them cheaper for instance (some swear by cheap stealers, I don't).

Anyway hope that helps, but remember one thing you need Synapse and a stealer army is very CC orientated and quite fast, the Broodlord is quite slow (even with infiltrate) and can leave your Nids with no synapse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse is a problem the Broodlord has to use a retinue which limits the Stealers you can take as seperate units and he is slow,
    this is why he can infiltrate, for me he's a giant distraction while the rest of my army moves up, but hafe the time my gaunt, hormies,stealers end up cacthing up to him going out of synapse for an inch and then reentering it because of the broodlord. since your a stealer army broodlord was a good choice. warriors can be takn as elite choice.

now for the stealers make them small squad fill up all troop choices with stealers, well 5 cause u have that gaunt squad, sure they might be shot down but a sqaud would waste their shooting phase on small squad making it so not all get to shoot, i have done this with 4 sqauds of 8 gaunts and they didn't get as many in as stealers would but they can't get everything stealers can.

give the stealer flesh hooks. that way even thoe u assault through cover you'll at least attack at the same time. give a squad or 2 scything talons along with the rending claws they slaughter.

yeh as a 2nd HQ get the hive tyrant but give him wings so he can keep up with every 1 and 2 sets of scything talons since he wants to get in assault, and a shooty fex... yeh it's worth it, some fire support is always good:yes: .
    Last edited by Shriker; August 5th, 2006 at 17:01.
    hive fleet of tyranids-2000pts
    bad moonz orks-1500ptz
    Orcs clan Red 'Eads-1000pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okay here'swhat i have come up with

HQ
    Broodlord E'carapace
    8 stealer ret. all with e'carapace

Troops

3 x 10 stealers
    e'carapace
    scuttlers
    230 each

690 total

14 spine gaunts

1000 pts total

what do you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my humble opinion, I would drop the spinegaunts. 70 points of gaunts, most especially spine gaunts, is not going to get you much. I would either add some biomorphs somewhere if you could, do some tweaking like that, or add some more stealers.

I'm building a CC list as well, but im going to retool it to let my genestealers scuttle. its just too good to pass up....a free 6'' move, pretty much. Maybe extended carapace too. My list is mostly hormies...if you don't target the hormies, you've got like 90 attacks on your boys, and if you target them, you end up with 20+ canopeners on your doorstep. not a good thing. then you add a flyrant/some flying warriors for forward synapse, perhaps a ravener or two, and you've got a mobile list that will tear some **** up. i'm thinking of adding a lictor too, to support the hormagaunts with that preferred enemy rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes drop the spinegaunts those 70pts can be used for scything talons for those stealers. you'll want the extra attack for more rending attacks.
    hive fleet of tyranids-2000pts
    bad moonz orks-1500ptz
    Orcs clan Red 'Eads-1000pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i'm a bit sceptical of the scything talons. i read in another post about it, heres why.

its your turn, you assault your stealers into a squad of say 10 marines. without the talons, you probably won't wipe them all out. then its your opponents turn, they can't shoot you because your in combat, all they can do is assault. assuming nothing assaults the stealers, they finish off the last of the marines. now its your turn, 12" wherever you want.

now say you did have the talons. you assault, wipe out the sqaud, and are now sitting around. now its your opponents turn. every gun is pointed right at you and that squad is wiped.

see my point?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

yeah i'm a bit sceptical of the scything talons. i read in another post about it, heres why.

its your turn, you assault your stealers into a squad of say 10 marines. without the talons, you probably won't wipe them all out. then its your opponents turn, they can't shoot you because your in combat, all they can do is assault. assuming nothing assaults the stealers, they finish off the last of the marines. now its your turn, 12" wherever you want.

now say you did have the talons. you assault, wipe out the sqaud, and are now sitting around. now its your opponents turn. every gun is pointed right at you and that squad is wiped.

see my point?
    Exactly why I dont use talons on stealers or big squads of Hormies, keep em in CC and your safe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Shriker
    you'll want the extra attack for more rending attacks.
    I think the attacks gained by Scything Talons isn't rending. Don't quote me on it though.

-Doom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast