Beat the necron with IG - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beat the necron with IG

Hello there !

I need help, I need suggestion how to beat the necron with an IG army. My friend and I have played 3 games and I never came closer enough to say it was funny. It was always a massacre and he agree , with all is knowledge to build strong army, he don't understand what I can do to beat necron with IG.

What are your suggestion, regardless of the senario....

Many Thank

BTW: I have enough of everything to build the IG army I want to play.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

Lots of lemun russes, they own necrons, they have huge blasts that ignore their save and their will be back, basilisks would do it too, don't try to lasgun them to death, it will never work, battle cannons are the way, the only way in my opinion, you can hardly beat them in combat and certainally not outshoot them without heaps of tanks, though necrons are really good at killing tanks too, so try to keep them out of range or line of sight, consider russes with indirect fire plus basilisks. Armoured company is the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be wary of loading up too much on tanks, though- Necron Gauss weaponry will eat them for lunch if your opponent can get range on you. Specifically watch out for destroyers. The minimum 3 destroyers will statistically get one glance per turn, which stops your pretty little battle cannons from doing anything on anything but a 5 (and then you're immobilized). Solution: hide at the back of the table. The longest range Necron weapon is 36", meaning your tanks have the advantage. Also don't ever let Necron Warriors get within 24" of your tanks. At that point, they're dead.

As far as army comp., the combined-arms lists gave me the most trouble when I fought guard. Not just russes, but also basilisks and sentinels. Not just heaps of lasguns, but rough riders and ratlings. The more kinds of weird crap you can dish out, the harder it will be for the Necron player to do what he does best- walk across the field, get back up, and flay you in the face.

And as a side note to Tenozuma- if the necron player is playing with any kind of intelligence, the lord with res. orb will be at the center of everything, so the difference between S7 and S9 is really nonexistant.

EDIT: and I almost forgot. BEWARE THE SCARAB SWARMS! Seriously! In my last game vs. DE, one squad of six scarab swarms ran a squadron of jetbikers and a squad of DE warriors off the table, and killed half of another squad before they died! Scarabs never fail to dissapoint me, so my advice to the guardsman is to kill scarabs before they hit your lines, ie. turn 1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Be wary, that as Destroyers have a movement of 12", and a 36" firing range, their effective shooting range amounts to 48", usually more than enough to cover a standard sized board from the first turn.
    minimalism is the key.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree with Orkrontyr. Scarabs are devestating to face. If your friend is playing them good then they will be at your front lines assaulting round 2. and if he uses a number of 5 then it means around 20 attacks that will wipe out a squad of guards or a tank if its close enough. So focus your troop fire on these round 1-2.

And as Orkrontyr pointed out. Never be within 24 of necrons. once they can fire at your tanks then its goodbye...

The only good tatctik I can think off is wise deployment and focusing fire on the right squad.
    Wipe out the swarms with troops, use the tanks superior range to blast the squads and always shoot at the closest target.... since he will be advancing on you.

If he uses Immortals they should be a first pick with tanks (or maybe destroyers), since they can move and fire 24''.

good luck

On an Island that nobody can find except for those who already know where it is.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

everything said is VERY good advise. all necron fast attack are really nasty and should be priority targets. that means wraiths destroyers and scarabs.

scarabs are deadly but a hellhound will slaughter them ten times over. the downside to a hellhound is that it'll probably die to the warriors afterwards, but if scarabs don't get taken down by shooting they almost always make their points back (and more)

wraiths, in essense, as warriors as far as lasguns care. except theres a maximum of 3 wraiths, and if they all die they dont get we'll be back. These things are as fast as scarabs but with str 6, so you'll want to kill these things too. probably the only thing your guard will be good at taking down via infantry platoon firing.

Destroyers are the most nasty and the most expensive and, due to the fact that they don't like it up close and personal, the hardest to kill. heavy firepower should be turned to these things to kill them. numbering 3-5, you should focus fire on a squad of destroyers so they can't get we'll be back. (unless the bum took heaps of them)

now, one last thing: the monolith. this is the biggest, baddest thing you can find (excluding forgeworld). if you think he's gonna take one of these, stock up on lascannons cause there the only thing that can hurt it apart from ordnance (not battle cannons though). melta can't hurt it so dont try to get any stormtrooper squad with a few melta guns.

... There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well... melta could hurt that 'lith, but you'd need a 6 to glance. And considering that monoliths can use their power Matrix even when stunned/shaken and that Weapon Destroyed results really don't do much... Sadly enough I've had my 'lith get killed by one inquisitorial stormtrooper with a meltagun. Grr.

Don't forget though- the FAQ clarified that Ordnance weapons still get their 2d6 AP. With the guardsman's BS of 3, regular 'ole ordnance is much worse, especially since it is really hard to scatter off of the monolith.

What SpiritKnight is right: focus your fire on a squad you think you can take out in one turn. Isolated elements like a single squad of destroyers or immortals. If they all die before the start of the Necron Player's turn, they'll need another squad of the same type nearby or they won't be able to WBB. :yes:

And Asmodean, yes, you can move your destroyers forward 12" to get range on tanks, but then they'll be left open to enemy shooting and that's 150-250 points gone for just one round's fire. Quite the gamble...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Orkrontyr
    Well... melta could hurt that 'lith, but you'd need a 6 to glance. And considering that monoliths can use their power Matrix even when stunned/shaken and that Weapon Destroyed results really don't do much...
    1st of all ap1 still affects the monolith so you always penetrate it rather than glance. Monolith can't claim skimmers moving fast and if it does move then its big gun scatters a lot.

Basilisks are nasty, considering they are just as likely to survive as leman russ the armour issue isn't a problem. Give it indirect fire if you have the points and the necrons can't even see it to shoot back. If they use veil of darkness to get to it then they have to kill it that turn. If they don't the basilisk gets to shoot direct and wipe them off the board. Also if your basilisks is in the corner they risk scattering off to their death with veil of darkness. Never forget that if everyone comes into minimum range you can simply roll your bassie back into sight and start shooting direct again.

Allied Grey Knight terminators are nasty but odds are you don't own any. If you do then remember to never deep-strike them right next to every warrior in the army (bad memories of 60 gauus flayer shots hitting a vital squad of terminators ).

Next of all every single infantry squad should have a missile launcher and a plasma/meltagun. Plasma because it can kill off warriors and melta because it can both insta-kill and hurt a deep-striking monolith.

Odds are your command squads wont live very long, to immortals and destroyers. A lot of Veteran Sergeants will combat this and they can take the cheap IG power weapons/plasma pistols.

Sentinels with lascannons or multilasers are good, multilasers because they can devastate scarabs and lascannons because you need them to kill a monolith. They can also walk around and take objectives.

The idea to kill necrons is unless a player has the minimum 20 warriors then just ignore them. Take out all the elite/fast attack/heavy support units 1st as they are going to be doing the most damage. If you come up against a nasty squad of 5 destroyers then shooting 10 missiles into them ought to take them out and if you get the whole squad no WBB. Just take them out 1 piece at a time. Remeber that line in your codex? "concentrate all firepower on one target before choosing another. This is the way to achieve victory."
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't get extra AP dice rolls and and bonuses against the monolith. Shots that cause a penetrating hit whenever they cause a glacing hit still counts as a glancing hit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Necrons army
    W/L/D

0/2/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Living Metal only affects bonus strength and extra dice. Nowhere does it say it ignores ap1 as well. Railguns still penetrate it on a 4+ (to the relief of every tau player out there).

armour piercing of 1 and armour penetration are 2 very different things.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast