Transports can't be shared? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transports can't be shared?

I was playing in a local league last week and an opponent objected when I tried to mount a squad on a Raider it had not started on at the beginning of the game. He argued that different squads could not use a single transport during the game. I did not believe this, and said so, but he was adamant and it was late, so I vowed to look into this further.

I could find NOWHERE in the rules where it is even hinted that a transport is limited to hauling the squad initially assigned to it. Nor could I find ANYWHERE that if I start grots on a raider, I cannot subsequently (after grots disembark) embark warriors or an independent character or other eligibles on the Raider.

While not everything in 40k is intuitive, I believe the transport rule is. The Raider's are the technicals of the future, after all!

Anyone else run into this kind of argument?

:wacko:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Page 62 Of the BGB

Under 'Who Can use a Transport Vehicle'

It seems pretty clear to me.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Realism

It's a silly rule because when a unit disembarks from its troop transport it can act freely, therefore, it should be allowed to pick up a new unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox
    Page 62 Of the BGB

Under 'Who Can use a Transport Vehicle'

It seems pretty clear to me.

Mike
    Yep, it is, on re-reading it (slower, with feeling).

My first read I understood it to mean 'type of squad'. So if I buy two Raider squads, the Raiders can be used interchangeably between the squads...after all, I did purchase both so there is no 'play balance' issue.

Now I am at a loss to figure why 40 millenia can pass and even races more advanced than Monkeigh are not willing or able to trade vehicles when it would be to their advantage. I guess I understand the SM may leave their personal belongings (teddy bears, whatever) and so be unwilling to jump on a different Rhino, but as piratical raiders, DE are opportunists and should behave as such.

I started playing with 3rd edition, so am probably missing some history on why this rule came about...

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdlwalker
    It's a silly rule because when a unit disembarks from its troop transport it can act freely, therefore, it should be allowed to pick up a new unit.
    I agree wholeheartedly. To me, it is an unnecessary complication. The access points, armor facings, not aassaulting on the move (typically) make more sense. As long as you don't overstuff a transport, anyone should be able to hop on. We do that today...so 40,000 yrs from now, I can easily imagine Monkeigh and more advanced races doing so...

+ Reply to Thread