Starting Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Starting Tau

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    2 (x1)

    Starting Tau

    Alright well for the last few days I've been thinking about starting tau and today i decided to go for it. So when i got to my local hobby store I was lucky to find a guy selling his tau so for $140 I was able to get the following stuff and wanted some advice on how to play and group from you guys.thanks.

    -24 fire warriors
    -3 stealth suits
    -6 path finders
    -3 path finders with rail rifles
    -3 battlesuits
    -1 drone sniper team
    -1 devilfish
    -1 Tau ethernal caste
    Also i ordered the codex which i'll have in a week or less.


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

  3. #2
    The deep down truth Rikimaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    York
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,714
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by X-law
    Alright well for the last few days I've been thinking about starting tau and today i decided to go for it. So when i got to my local hobby store I was lucky to find a guy selling his tau so for $140 I was able to get the following stuff and wanted some advice on how to play and group from you guys.thanks.

    -24 fire warriors
    -3 stealth suits
    -6 path finders
    -3 path finders with rail rifles
    -3 battlesuits
    -1 drone sniper team
    -1 devilfish
    -1 Tau ethernal caste
    Also i ordered the codex which i'll have in a week or less.
    You have the basis for a decent 1000pt force.

    I would use the battlesuits as:
    (A) A shas,Ui commander for your +1 HQ, you do not say what the XV's are equipped with, let us know and we can advise you if its any good (the best fits are Plasma/Fusion/Targetting array and HW mutli, or the same but the fusion replaced with a Missile Pod).

    ( A lone 'Monat' XV8 equiped as above (team leader).

    (C) Stealth battlesuits, I would advise buying 3 more suits and making a full unit (its definately worthe the financial outlay and should be your priority).

    Troops

    You have 2 full FW squads, use these on foot for now but be casreful how you deploy them, keep them at a distance and use the pulse rifles range to best effect (6" more than most basic infantry) and utilise cover as a must if its avalable.

    Fast attack

    The Pathfinders, I would proxy the railrifle models as normal pathfinders until you get 2 more ML equipped models, the Makerlights are more valuable and a full squad of 8 ML equipped PF is a much more valuable asset than 2 railrifles. Obviously the Devilfish goes with these as its compulsory for PF.

    Heavy
    Drone squads are not the easiest to use, make sure you pick a good deployment with good line of sight and decent cover, the problem with these is they are deployed 1st so the opponent can deploy to counter them with his forces.

    The main problem you have with the models you have bought is a severe lack of anti Armour, you need to make a Hammerhead a major purchasing priority, and heres a tip go on the web and search independent GW stockist and buy a Skyray, you get all the parts to build a Hammerhead with railgun or Ion cannon or a Skyray, the turrets ae interchangable so you get the choice of 3 vehicles for the price of 1.
    I got mine for £20 including postage.
    The HH will give you some valuable anti armour and anti infantry (with submunnition), they are quite forgiving to use and with multi equipped they ae a powerful unit able to move 12" and stil shoot and downgrading any hit the HH takes to glancing.
    Some will recommend Braodsides but I would steer away from these until you have more experience as they are harder to use effectively for Tau beginners. I am not saying do not use them just wait till you have more experience as they are not cheap to buy (£45 for a unit of 3).

    Lose the ethereal for now, in fact throw it in the bin they suck :yes: .

    So with the addition of 3 Stealth and a Hammerhead you would have a very effective basic 1000 pointish list, that forms a decent core force to build on and should be able to give you some good games, you do need some anti armour so get a HH and give the XV8's fusion/plasma or MP/Plasma.

    You have done the right thing getting the Codex as your st purchase and with an extra £30 pounds spent on some extra models (hardly over the top) you will have a nice force.

    As time goes on I would advise a couple of Devilfishes, another HH and some Kroot.

    Hope that helped a little.

    P.S post us your XV8 fits so we can give you some tactical advice regarding these, becuase how these are outfitted has a big impact on how the list will work
    1984

  4. #3
    Senior Member Lucy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    28
    Posts
    283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

    There's not much I can add to that, it covers most of the basics.
    The one thing I can Add is that I cannot stress the deploment enough. your deploment will quiet often either win or lose the game for you. As a beginer I suggest just finding out what works as a fire base before looking at moving tactics. Don't misunderstand, movement is an immportant part useing Tau to their full, but Tau are easiest to use in static formation.

    And one other thing, pulse carbines are good but don't over do it, if half your squad can't shoot beyond the enemy range then quiet often your squad is half gone by the time you begin doing any dammage (I play against SM mostly).
    I make a point of never laughing at stupid people. They can't help that they're stupid, just as I can't help hitting them.- Aun'Vre

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    2 (x1)

    Ok without my codex i'm not sure on the names of weapons yet but one suit has a chaingun on each arm and the other two have a shield and a barrel like weapon. Also Would it be wise to invest in the new Tau army box? It has another devilfish so then I would have two it also has a hammer head which was suggested plus the 3 more stealth suits and 2 battle suits. As a bonus I would also get more fire warrios plus the pirhanna and i'm assuming the pirhanna is the new tau version of a bike. Lastley I would like to know how good are the Sky rays because I wouldnt mind fielding one or two of those.

  6. #5
    The deep down truth Rikimaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    York
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,714
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by X-law
    Ok without my codex i'm not sure on the names of weapons yet but one suit has a chaingun on each arm and the other two have a shield and a barrel like weapon. Also Would it be wise to invest in the new Tau army box? It has another devilfish so then I would have two it also has a hammer head which was suggested plus the 3 more stealth suits and 2 battle suits. As a bonus I would also get more fire warrios plus the pirhanna and i'm assuming the pirhanna is the new tau version of a bike. Lastley I would like to know how good are the Sky rays because I wouldnt mind fielding one or two of those.
    The chain guns are burst cannons, remove them pronto and replace them with plasma (the barrel like weapon).
    The Tau army box is a decent deal and it would be the ideal thing to bulk out you force, the Pirahnas are not so good, if you like them fair enough but they are very fragile and have very bad weapons (to short ranged so they have to get to close to the enemy which coupled with bad armour means they are very vulnerable). You could sell them on E-bay or something though.
    Skyrays are very good, though I would only advise buying one when your more experienced.
    They are good in lists of 1500pts and over where you have the points to take the full 3 heavy slots (fill the other 2 slots with HH). You do not want more than one though.
    The main strength of the skyray is its markerlights give it targeting array and multi and you have an ultra mobile ML platform with 2 ML hits per turn that can target 2 seperate units a turn at BS4, it can see over most cover, they are brilliant.
    1984

  7. #6
    Senior Member Lucy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    28
    Posts
    283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru
    The chain guns are burst cannons, remove them pronto and replace them with plasma (the barrel like weapon).
    The Tau army box is a decent deal and it would be the ideal thing to bulk out you force, the Pirahnas are not so good, if you like them fair enough but they are very fragile and have very bad weapons (to short ranged so they have to get to close to the enemy which coupled with bad armour means they are very vulnerable). You could sell them on E-bay or something though.
    Skyrays are very good, though I would only advise buying one when your more experienced.
    They are good in lists of 1500pts and over where you have the points to take the full 3 heavy slots (fill the other 2 slots with HH). You do not want more than one though.
    The main strength of the skyray is its markerlights give it targeting array and multi and you have an ultra mobile ML platform with 2 ML hits per turn that can target 2 seperate units a turn at BS4, it can see over most cover, they are brilliant.
    Just to post here; I fully agree with everything ricki just said apart from the Pirhana. Pirahna's are just like everything else, weak with a use. However as that is nothing that a Devil fish can't do, forget about them (Hard to use).
    I make a point of never laughing at stupid people. They can't help that they're stupid, just as I can't help hitting them.- Aun'Vre

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts