18 Stealth Suits in 2k: Bad Idea? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

18 Stealth Suits in 2k: Bad Idea?

Regardless of whether it's a Mech list or a Static one, I figure 18 Infiltrating Burst Cannons with JSJ tactics could be pretty mean. One thing though, what can 18 do that 12 can't? Would the 3rd squad just get in the way? Cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

While it may sound dangerous, the biggest reason why it's a bad idea is really quite simple.. without the aid of Crisis Suits, Tau have a serious lack of low AP firepower. Sure, a high abundance of high strength shots could do the trick, but wouldn't you rather that Space Marine not be able to roll his armour save?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

Yeeep. What can 18 do that 12 can't? I say, what can 12 do than 6 can't. Crisis suits are just too invaluable to a Tau army, I think.
    Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the idea of "What can 18 do that 12 can't?" was that 12 could be one unit holding each forward flank. Also, there's only so much cover to go around, so that 3rd unit could become more of a nuisance. Personally, I've always been a fan of quantity over quality (not that 35 points a pop is quantity, but in relative terms to a Crisis suit...). No armour save is great, but when you're shooting 3 or 4 times the amount of shots, from 3 or 4 times the amount of bodies that can die, quantity sounds better. That's my 2 cents anyway, but yeah, Crisis Suits are awesome.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

18 Stealths is a lot of points. Over a 1/4 of your army.

As the others have stated without the crisis suits you will be lacking low AP shooting and more importantly medium strength weapons for light - medium vehicles. A str 5 weapon is no good against AV 12.

I can't justify taking more than 6, but if it works for you then fill your boots.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am pretty much always in favor of taking Stealths over FW (10pts per Str5 shot), but yeah, the thing is you need some Crisis suits, prolly more than the 3 you can get from an HQ. (but I don't know you need six. Maybe you can get the Crisis you need through both HQ slots?)

Now......if we had some special rule, or list, where we could take Stealths as a troops choice, or a fast attack................(and why not? Seems every other army gets such cheeze @ss rules!)

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Prometheus
    every other army gets such cheeze @ss rules!
    *Coff Hammerhead railgun Coff Coff*
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WraithLords......*cough*......but then you can cheez out and take 6!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually in Cities of Death those 3 stealth squads could really shine... I think that volume of fire will be more important than a few high ST low AP shots because of all those cover saves. Keep hitting those marines!!!

That's all in theory of course...
    Those who live by the sword... Will be gunned down by those who don't!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamoio
    Actually in Cities of Death those 3 stealth squads could really shine... I think that volume of fire will be more important than a few high ST low AP shots because of all those cover saves. Keep hitting those marines!!!

That's all in theory of course...
    City of death is not a great place for stealths, basically because it forces the stealths where they do not want to be, close to the opponents forces and it restricts their movement, the stealth field only really works effectively at 24" range (the 18" range of the weapon + the 6" assault move).

While cover is a bonus this also works against them by giving there primary target(5+ save infantry) a save, all those cover saves are actually the problem, at least in a normal game the stealths can get to units hit them and do some damage.

I am not saying they are useless in CoD but I would not rely on them to perform that well, give me HH and Kroot anyday.

3 units of stealths is a hell of a lot of points and really (as has been said) restricts your elites, you cannot take a Tau list with compromised levels of low AP high strength weapons, there are simply to many tough units out there, try taking a Marine, Necron or Chaos force down with no low AP weapons.
    The stealths are brilliant as a part of a balanced elites force and one unit is more than enough, but many have success with 2, I actualy think the perfect balance is 1 full unit of stealths with the other 2 slots filled with anti armour/anti tough troops XV8 suits with XV8 HQ units.

I use stealths alongside the submunnition round to reduce infantry, because the Railgun has the range to support the stealths no matter how far up the flank the stealths are.
    I hit a unit with the subs and then use the stealth unit to wipe out the stragglers, and as an aside the submunniton is brilliant in city fight when supported by markerlights hit on 2+ wound on 2+ and reduced cover saves by the ML's.

Stealths are not a replacement for FW, they are to expensive and every loss is 3 shots down the tube, this is why so many points invested in 3 units a slightly dodgy proposition, much better going for 1 unit, some FW in devilfishes and some XV8's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast