Jetbikes?...Hmm... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jetbikes?...Hmm...

I was curious how some people use jetbikes. Personally, I thought they were a bit expensive, but if anyone has any input on jetbikes, please enlighten me.

Also, what kind of tactics seem to work with them? (Try to be specific whether you're going against a horde army or whatever.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think everyoe finds them way too many points but their suppossed to be getting better in the next codex.

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x5)

I love them.

They are fast and can do a lot of damage to the proper targets. I follow a few of my own rules when using them...

-They are only for support-
    I use them to help another unit wipe out a target with the extra fire support or possibly in a charge. They won't kill anything by themselves, but the extra attacks and shots can really help in a pinch.

-Select your targets wisely-
    If you want them to go off on their own, make sure they are in a position so they can't get assaulted. They can go down quickly is someone gets a charge on them.

-Use them as they are outfitted-
    There are different ways to kit them and make sure you stick to their plan.

A) Tank Hunting
    -Use a Warlock or even a Farseer with a Singing Spear so they can pop tanks. Even though the 'spear doesn't have much range, on a jetbike, its even more effective.

Infantry Killers
    -I like to take 6x Jetbikes with 2x Shuriken Cannons and a Warlock with Destructor. It adds up to a Heavy Flamer, 6x S6 shots and 4x TL Shuriken Catapults. This is great to use when you have another unit ready to charge the unit you just shot at. Then use your extra 6" move to get them out of any harms way.

C) Bait
    -On some occassions I've used a squad of 3 just to annoy the enemy and to make them waste shots on them as other units move into position.

D) Theives
    -These guys are great at grabbing counters, objectives, and table quarters. I can't tell you how many games I won by zipping them forward, grabbing counters and just running away. Also, they are great for that last turn turbo boost into the enemy's deployment in Recon missions.

E) Trap Shooting
    - I swear by them but, they should only be used by more expirienced players. You need to learn how to take Godly advantage of their 6" move in the assault phase to put them behind cover or out of harms way. The Shuriken Catapults are short ranged, but if you move up to shoot, you can back up to stay out of assault range afterwards. They can use the same tactics as Warp Spiders as in popping out of cover, shooting and diving back behind the cover in the assault phase.

F) Ulthwe
    Since I play Ulthwe, I can use total effectiveness of the Jetbikes with some help from my Seer Council. Combine Guide and Augment so you can use it on the Jetbikes up to 12" (18" if the Council moves) then move the Jetbikes a further 12" into position to strike however needed. Using this tactic has pissed off plenty of IG players since you can destroy a Leman Russ first turn (under certain circumstances). Rerolling all those shots can decimate a medium/light unit leaving a gap in your enemy's lines.

If you are having trouble using them, make sure to reflect on how they died or how they were ineffective. They are the fastest bikes in the game so make sure you use it.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. You never fail to help. Is there anything about Eldar you DON'T know?...lol

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

112 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by VinEldar
    Thanks. You never fail to help. Is there anything about Eldar you DON'T know?...lol
    :shifty: I know a lot, but not everything. There are some units I've still have yet to use.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

124 (x4)

Quite a common set-up but relatively good for about 200pts:

3 Jetbikes: Shuriken Cannon
    1 Warlock: Singing Spear, Destructor

The unit functions nicely as a harrasment unit that is able to knock down tanks and deal with infantry. While normally the squad is incapable of dishing out enough damage to payback their points a Warlock effectively enhances their offensive potential. Combined with Turbo Boost ability and their unique Hit and Run rules (Main important rule you use when playing with these guys) they can effectively avoid LoS to opposing unit the following turn, not to mention they are a very reliable quick response team should anything unexpected happen during the game.

A singing spear enables you to deal with tanks from 12" away and destructor and the shruiken weaponary enables you to deal with infantry. Note that these weapons do bring you relatively close to the opposing army but you should be safe if you're careful with movement. Should you choose to use the destructor make sure it's done in a location to your advantage (ie, a place you're sure that reinforcements arn't immidete) since you really should charge the unit you're shooting to increase potential damage, as well as prevent shooting and being charged since you'll be too close to escape this. Note, it's also advised you do this late in the game where the squadron can get support themselves since prolonged engagements arn't in their best interests.

So:
    Primary function - Harrasement using speed
    Secondary function - Support for the rest of the army

I wouldn't say it's an effective front line killer though in comparison with other Eldar units. (ie I wouldn't expose them to as much danger as I would say...a seer council or striking scorpions)
    Last edited by Heiromyo; August 17th, 2006 at 02:10.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having just recently placed a Farseer with Singing Spear on a Jetbike, I must say that I'm still learning how to use him -

But he is, without a doubt, a killer unit, provided I use him sensibly.

With the Singing Spear, I zoom him in, toss it at a vehicle (so far, two Dreadnaughts) and then zip away.

Or I zip within 18", Mind War a model, and zip back out.

I'm also considering upping his cost 60-some points and giving him Spirit Stones and Fortune so he can bolster squads at the front line that are DEFINITELY going to be attacked and need that defensive boost - it probably would have saved my Guardians last night if I'd've done it.

Because he's an Independant Character, he can use that 6" move to duck near a friendly squad (I'm favoring my Striking Scorpions at the moment) and make sure he doesn't get shot at.

Things are looking even rosier for him in the new edition - provided the Shining Spears are reasonably priced, I'll pick up a full squad + Exarch and join him to them. Dooming the squad they're about to charge, Fortuning the Shining Spears, nailing them with S5 power weapon attacks on the charge, and then Withdrawing at the end of their Assault Phase... tasty. :ninja:

Oh, and here's my Farseer.

Still trying to figure out how much of my army I should post up on here, and where I should do it in this forum... it's pretty mixed up, but looks like a lot of fun!
    Last edited by iamfanboy; August 19th, 2006 at 20:16.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that farseer looks mighty nice. Gongrats on the conversion/painting!
    The Morbidos Fleet will reclaim the Eldar empire. This time there shall be no mercy. Let them choke in their own blood!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

You may want to dig out the tactica post Victor assembled, I put a lot of info in there about Saim Hann, half of which is jetbikes
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Very good jetbike there mate, I'm gonna have to do mine up soon.
    Gareth is the person I try to impress when I convert and paint.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast