broadsides or hammerhead? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

broadsides or hammerhead?

While trying to make my new army list i came uppon a dilemma...
    on the one hand, i have read that for new players like me the hammerhead is a safer choice wihthe railgun and the SMS

but on the other hand, you can get 2 broadsides each with multi-trackers for less points, and have 2 units who can support eachother, the main enemys for my games would be chaos and ultramarines

which do you prefer?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

First of, welcome to LO pal. Please read the LO rules.

Secondly, Please also use the search topic function This topic been done a lot already, so you should be able to find your answer, but no worries, your new to the boards, so I'm not going to jump up and down on you. XD

Thirdly, I believe most of the Tau lads (And lasses if we have any) here on LO will tell you to take Hammerheads.

Personally, if its for Railguns, I take XV-88 Broadsides because they are cheaper. However I'm a fan of the Ion cannon, and so since hammerheads are the only thing that can take those...well...I also take a Hammerhead.

Again, welcome to LO Iskate, I hope you enjoy your time here!

Toastee
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok cool thank you very much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Hammerhead! :shifty:

*like toastee says*
    Anima Tactics - try it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both!:w00t:

Ion Cannon supported by a squad of Three XV88's can be quite nasty methinks... Though on my Hammerhead Im' gonna still take the railgun so i can use its submunitions... even if it is against chaos/marines!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Mystweaver

Ion Cannon supported by a squad of Three XV88's can be quite nasty methinks... Though on my Hammerhead Im' gonna still take the railgun so i can use its submunitions... even if it is against chaos/marines!
    Hey! Sub munition can hurt SM just like anything else, heavy blast markers are good for Assualties.
    My advice, revisit the Idea of 88's with RH support later, broadsides are good for armies that use a lot of vehicles or just have a couple of thing's you're worried about. for flexibility hammer head is good. More than one:yes:
    I make a point of never laughing at stupid people. They can't help that they're stupid, just as I can't help hitting them.- Aun'Vre

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm fond of two Hammerheads and two Broadsides in a squad. I never really take the Ion Cannon, even though it's so cheap now, unless I'm targetting specific llists (marines) which seems wrong.

Please note that properly equipped, two Broadsides will be slightly more expensive than a Hammerhead. You really need either shield generators or shield drones, I reccomend shield drones. For a lousy 5 pts, a target lock is awesome, cuz if you can see two tanks, you'll want to shoot both. Advanced stabilizers are good, but their applicatin is a little more tricky, to start out you might want to do without and treat the BS's as turrets, effectively. Note that getting them will mean you have to get a team leader (5pts) to hardwirre some of the other stuff.

My two BS's usually work out 200 pts, even, with all the gear above.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mystweaver

Hammerheads are a pretty amazing basically because of the submunniton round, the fact it is a non scatter large ordnance weapon means it deadly against a lot more than just infantry.

For one it is a template weapon which means against any open topped vehicle any hit counts as two, so try hitting a Dark Eldar Raider with the STR6 template you get 2 hits and +1 to the damage result = dead raider or any other open topped vehicle (Orks anyone).
    I also like the way it can hit more than one vehilcle which is handy against things like bike squads and eldar jetbike squads.

Also because it is not ordnance the rule for halving strength if the center hole is not on the vehicle does not apply.

To me this is just as good as the Ion cannon.

They destroy swarms, necron scarabs fall nicely as do any Nid ripper swarms, each hit on a base counts as two wounds.

As for MEQ's I find the subs as good if not better than the Ion cannon, if you hit with it (I usually use it with ML guidence against MEQ's just to be sure) you know your going to wound at least 4 to 5 sometimes more if you roll well (4+) for the models only partially covered by the template, you wound on 2+ and on average the MEQ'S will fail 2 saves which is the same average as an Ion, but the Ion fails in comparison to the subs when your targeting hoard lists like Orcs or nids, any hit means lots of dead models for anything with a 4,5,or 6+ save.
    The railgun also has the solid shot option which hits on average about the same amount as the XV88 with its re-roll and with ML help is practically guaranteed a hit.

Hammerheads are very hard to stop if you keep in mind the range of the railgun
    you can hug the edge of the field and outrange just about any weapon the opponent has, the 12" move means you can avoid just about anything but you can still fire with multi. I take 2 Hammerheads with a Skyray as ML support and along with my Shas'Els they are quite simply the most vital part of my list, the HH anchor my force by targeting infantry which allows my Shas'Els to hunt armour and means I do not have to rely on FW to stop infantry.
    I find Broasides to restrictive they are basically restricted to anti vehicle and this means the rest of my list is limited, with HH I get so much more versitallity tactically

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru
    Hammerheads are a pretty amazing basically because of the submunniton round, the fact it is a non scatter large ordnance weapon means it deadly against a lot more than just infantry.

For one it is a template weapon which means against any open topped vehicle any hit counts as two, so try hitting a Dark Eldar Raider with the STR6 template you get 2 hits and +1 to the damage result = dead raider or any other open topped vehicle (Orks anyone).
    I also like the way it can hit more than one vehilcle which is handy against things like bike squads and eldar jetbike squads.

Also because it is not ordnance the rule for halving strength if the center hole is not on the vehicle does not apply.

To me this is just as good as the Ion cannon.

They destroy swarms, necron scarabs fall nicely as do any Nid ripper swarms, each hit on a base counts as two wounds.

As for MEQ's I find the subs as good if not better than the Ion cannon, if you hit with it (I usually use it with ML guidence against MEQ's just to be sure) you know your going to wound at least 4 to 5 sometimes more if you roll well (4+) for the models only partially covered by the template, you wound on 2+ and on average the MEQ'S will fail 2 saves which is the same average as an Ion, but the Ion fails in comparison to the subs when your targeting hoard lists like Orcs or nids, any hit means lots of dead models for anything with a 4,5,or 6+ save.
    The railgun also has the solid shot option which hits on average about the same amount as the XV88 with its re-roll and with ML help is practically guaranteed a hit.

Hammerheads are very hard to stop if you keep in mind the range of the railgun
    you can hug the edge of the field and outrange just about any weapon the opponent has, the 12" move means you can avoid just about anything but you can still fire with multi. I take 2 Hammerheads with a Skyray as ML support and along with my Shas'Els they are quite simply the most vital part of my list, the HH anchor my force by targeting infantry which allows my Shas'Els to hunt armour and means I do not have to rely on FW to stop infantry.
    I find Broasides to restrictive they are basically restricted to anti vehicle and this means the rest of my list is limited, with HH I get so much more versitallity tactically
    Yup that pretty much sums it up. I cant find anything to object about in his post, so for anyone new or wondering ... this is the truth right here. Rep for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately for me, my hammerhead got infiltrated and ripped to pieces by a Chaos Lord in the first turn.

My Broadsides (two of them) proceeded to kill 2 raiders, 1 predator and a dreadnaught. This was in a 5000pts battle (of which I had 2.5k pts)...

Twas nuts and due to the first turn, I have not been able to evaluate the effectiveness of the HH's... I think Riki is still spot on with his evaluation though - however, I shall still take BS's as I feel their 2+ save makes them much more survivable vs tanks and the like than a HH (with a couple of shield drones or even shield gen, the 4+ save makes them even harder to kill if the enemy is pumping AP 2 or less weapons into you!)....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast