Airbursting Fragmentation Projector & Cyclic Ion Blaster - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Airbursting Fragmentation Projector & Cyclic Ion Blaster

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru
    1 HQ, do not buy the XV8 commander box. this is +1 army choice so you have no choice with this but get a normal XV8 box equip it with either Plasma / MP / multi or Plasma / fusion / multi , you can build these from a normal XV8 kit as the weapons in the commander box are crap anyway.
    So both 18" range -

I think the Airbursting Fragmentation Projector is great! Large Blast weapon sounds good to me and has worked quite well so far.

What are the weaknesses you see with this weapon?

With regards to the Cyclic Ion Blaster - Low Str Average AP and a wounding hit of 6 = AP 1. And its 5 shots - Stick it on a Shas'o and thats hitting on 2's.

I know the Str is pretty bad, but even with that, the 5 shots means generally you are going to kill at least 1 marine a turn or multiple light troopers.

I can see that you might think that the Ion Blaster is a higher rate of fire, less str burst cannon... but it has it swings and roundabouts right?

Equip both these weapons and attack light troopers and they are going to get minced surely!

I have cut up a unit with this combo and it has worked great for me. Why do you not rate them?

Last edited by Mystweaver; August 22nd, 2006 at 13:09.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Just to pre-empt somewhat, while that set-up is pretty effective, you shouldn't be equipping XV8's to deal with massed infantry.
    The whole troops section of your army (plus stealths, HH submunitions etc) is all geared towards taking down basic infantry.
    What the Tau lack is a reliable way to take down 3+ saves.
    XV8's provide that, with thier options to take plasma and fusion weapons.

Thus completes the circle of the tau army.

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

With Oden On Our Side... The Doctor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

I used to use the AFP and CIB on my Shas'O (along with some other stuff).
    I have since switched the AFP to a Plasma Rifle. It works much better at what the Shas'O is good at, which is removing tough opponents. The AFP might work well on a regular XV8, but only to replace a Burst Cannon, which shouldn't be on an XV8 to begin with.

Just like Minus_T said, our Troops and a few other units are for taking down massed infantry. Crisis Suits are for tough AP2 and 3 buggers. The CIB can fit for that, due to it's special rule giving it AP1. Combine it with a Plasma Rifle and you have a low AP killer.
    Half Gods are worshiped with Wine and Flowers. Real Gods are worshiped in Blood.

Blood for the Blood God! Beer for the Bronze Keg!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The CIB has been discussed thoroughly. You can find the thread here:

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...n-blaster.html

As for the AFP, obviously keep it off your commander as it would be a waste of his high BS score. Other than that, the main points have already been made, i.e. Tau already have plenty of other options for dealing with mass infantry, and using a slot on a crisis suit seems a waste when the list is low on AP 3 (or better) weapons. IT is not a weapon to equip a suit with when going into a game or tournament unsure of what you will be facing. If, however, you know you will only see 'nids, orks, IG etc, then by all means, slap the AFP onto a Shas'Vre, as it shines against those armies.
    Last edited by Durandal; August 22nd, 2006 at 16:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that link, noticed it at the bottom of the page too...

Good arguements... im sticking with using both... though I agree, the AFP will not be going on my commander any more! (The CIB will stay there though)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

The only trouble with the CIB is against MEQ.

It averages out to about 1 dead marine a turn. At 18" range.

Most people choose either helios or fireknife patterns. The helois gives you 3 sots to 12" that hit on a 2+, wound on a 2+ and allow no save. it also give punching power against T6/7/8 monsters.

As stated before, your firewarriors and stealth suits can deal with low armour infantry. Tau need help in the low Ap range and medium str weapons against AV12 vehicle.

All the configurations, I suppose, depend on what you play against. If you don't come across too many light-med vehicles, your laughing.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The AFB is essentially a better flamer. I often field a lone suit with just flamers and a burst cannon (just 39pts) to deep strike and cost havok. I can see the AFB working into that role, though the suit would be a lot more expensive, so I'd have to be a lot more careful with it.

I wouldn't ever get the CIB. Tau tend to slaughter 5+ swarms anyway, we don't need help in that dept. Even if it statistically kills MEQs better than a Fusion blaster, it won't do all the other things a FB can do, and I'd find the lack wounding just personally frustrating.

Haven't actually tried either.

+ Reply to Thread