harlequins nowadays? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x1)

harlequins nowadays?

How do they play using the rules from cit journal 44?

I have some miniatures in abox somewhere but have not played with them since 2nd ed. (Looted LandRaider!!!) I'm thinking about reviving them especially since I saw the new death jester mini.

But while were waitng for new rules that might never come(?), I'm wondering how they play using the existing dated rules.

Thanks.

Ikterus

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

From what I can gather, they are very unbalanced, in both directions.

If you completely surprise the enemy with them, and they don't really know what they're facing.. then you can probably rip your enemy's army to shreds if you can get into CC.

If the enemy knows you're bringing them, or has played them several times before, you're going ot have a huge disadvantage. You'll see flame templates, high volumes of shots, etc.

Basically, the way to look at it is like this - the current official 40k armies are pretty much balanced. The Harlequins are incredibly unbalanced, both positively and negatively.

Really, if you want them just for a fun army to paint/convert and use, then I'd recommend them. If you want a competitive army, to win with and for tourneys and stuff, pick something else. :yes:

Random note - there are supposed to be rumours about Harlequin rules being somehow involved with the new Codex.. but for some reason, I find that incredibly distasteful..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis
    From what I can gather, they are very unbalanced, in both directions.

If you completely surprise the enemy with them, and they don't really know what they're facing.. then you can probably rip your enemy's army to shreds if you can get into CC.

If the enemy knows you're bringing them, or has played them several times before, you're going ot have a huge disadvantage. You'll see flame templates, high volumes of shots, etc.

Basically, the way to look at it is like this - the current official 40k armies are pretty much balanced. The Harlequins are incredibly unbalanced, both positively and negatively.

Really, if you want them just for a fun army to paint/convert and use, then I'd recommend them. If you want a competitive army, to win with and for tourneys and stuff, pick something else. :yes:

Random note - there are supposed to be rumours about Harlequin rules being somehow involved with the new Codex.. but for some reason, I find that incredibly distasteful..
    Thanks for the info.

Why dont you want the harlequins in the eldar codex?

When you mention it... The only reason that they release a new death jester must be that at least that troop choice is somewhere in the codex...
    Ikterus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ikterus
    Thanks for the info.

Why dont you want the harlequins in the eldar codex?

When you mention it... The only reason that they release a new death jester must be that at least that troop choice is somewhere in the codex...
    Honestly? They will just become another part of the Eldar list. Like Striking Scorpions, or the Wraithlord. I think that takes so much away from the character of the army, especially because Harlequins are sort of the "in-between" of the two main factions - they can ally with Craftworld, or with Dark, and they are a part of neither. Cramming them in with the new Eldar takes away so much character and coolness, in my book. They should get their own codex, in my opinion.. I would play them in a heartbeat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis
    Honestly? They will just become another part of the Eldar list. Like Striking Scorpions, or the Wraithlord. I think that takes so much away from the character of the army, especially because Harlequins are sort of the "in-between" of the two main factions - they can ally with Craftworld, or with Dark, and they are a part of neither. Cramming them in with the new Eldar takes away so much character and coolness, in my book. They should get their own codex, in my opinion.. I would play them in a heartbeat.

You do not know how much I agree with you....
    ...finally, someone who thinks the same way as me...:cry: ...

-The God of all Machines
    W/D/L
    -Imperial:50/2/10
    -Non-Imperial:10/1/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well the harlies dont jsut fight by themselves, infact what the harlies do is travel the webway and fight along side eldar craftowrlds, telling stories, performing dance. i think its great that we can take harlies in the new dex.

the reason why harlies dont have there own dex is because, as it has been said preveously, they are un balanced. and it will be hard to give them shooty units seeing as though they are nothing but close combat seekers. i do expect that they will be in the dark eldar codex when or if it comes out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Reflex
    well the harlies dont jsut fight by themselves, infact what the harlies do is travel the webway and fight along side eldar craftowrlds, telling stories, performing dance. i think its great that we can take harlies in the new dex.
    They can just fight by themselves, and they don't just use the Craftworld Eldar as their allies.. they just as readily ally themselves with Dark Eldar.

So, putting them in the new Craftworld Eldar codex, and as a max one unit thing, really kills... well, everything cool about them except the basic concept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

>> DEvils's advocate <<

So how would you feel if they were in the new Dark Eldar Codex as an Elites choice or something?
    IF, there is ever a new DE Codex, and pigs fly and all that.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

The rumor is that they will be an Elites choice for Dark Eldar as well.

I don't know, I think that maybe including the Harlies as Elites choices will introduce people to a whole section of Eldar fluff that goes ignored and that many people don't know about.

Besides, who doesn't want insane, killing machine clowns on the loose? Anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian_MalSeraph
    Besides, who doesn't want insane, killing machine clowns on the loose? Anyone?
    I think taking advantage of my childhood phobia is unfair and mean.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast