Welcome to Librarium Online!
Hi everyone! This is my first post!
I'm a Nid player but recently I've become interested in starting a new army. I had the idea of making an Eldar army, but I wanted something different than just a craftworld defense company. Something with more charecter...
I've read about exiled pirate Eldar and the idea came to me to make an Eldar pirate army. I have some concerns and thought I should take them to the experts:
1) An exiled Eldar is more at risk from Chaos. How might this affect my army?
2) Exiled, pirate Eldar shouldn't have access to Wraithguards or Wraithlords (and possibly Seer Council and Farseer's), right?
3) A pirate army would probably be mostly fast attack and melee fighters. Any ideas that would fit into the 40K rules?
4) Is the idea even feasible?
I also turned this idea over with a Tau army...one that was against the Greater Good.
I appreciate your help!
Eldar who are potentially more exposed to chaos, excellent melee fighters and pirates to boot....
Dark Eldar surely?
LO RulesOriginally Posted by AnonymousOriginally Posted by Cyric
Rangers are outcasts so use them as troops. Maybe go Alaitoc to grab some pathfinders too, use as Elites. Use stats/rules for Kroot Mercenaries and convert Eldar (using some dark eldar bits) models to act as pirates. Instead of eating the dead they loot them; the Kroot Shaper is a pirate captain (2nd edition pirate squads were always led by a character) etc.
As to your questions..
1) They become even more fickle and pychopathic. Sometimes caring and generous, sometimes as bad as an Archon. Craftworld Eldar become far more murderous when the Avatar is summoned aswell so I dont think you need anything new to worry about gamewise.
3) Kroot Mercs rules with Eldar Models. Infiltrating Scorpions representing exiled Dragon Knights (put a dragon prince on a cold one, replace lance with a splinter/shuri pistol. Use pistol to represent mandiblaster and cold one the extra strength attacks). Stuff like that.
4) Hell yeah its feasable. That what I have planed for my soon to be old stuff when the codex is out.
Believe it or not I am doing exactly the same thingâ€¦
I have drawn a quick sketch of units that I will be using (I posted this on 40k and got good replays), since new codex isn't far I would suggest using vanilla army:
Here's my unit selection:
Eldar Pirates (I call my pirates â€˜Star ridersâ€™):
(Autarch)- count heâ€™s stats as one of the Phoenix Lords for the time being
Aspect warriors (no exarch powers may only opt to exchange his weapon)
Harlequins (momentarily as per CJ/40k fan rules)
(note a Venom isnâ€™t considered as â€˜heavyâ€™ vehicle)
(Jetbikes: 1+); (momentarily count as Fast attack)
0-1 Heavy Vehicle (Fire Prism or Falcon)**
Heavy weapon platform (D-cannon, Shadow Weaver, Vibro cannon)
Organization: â€™Leader of the raidâ€™
A Pirate commander will always be the army general even if there is a Farseer present if there is more than a single commander than the player must nominate which pirate leader is the general before the mission starts (he may not nominate Farseer).
- Most of the pirate strike force moves within the webway to ensure surprise and sudden tactical retreat should resistance prove too hard for them. Hence most of the â€˜heavyâ€™ vehicles (Fire prism and Falcon) must be deployed with the good â€˜ol fashion way this increases the chance for pirates to be detected so 0-1 restriction (a Wave serpent doesnâ€™t have 0-1 restriction)
*For our Ancestors:
Wraithlords/wraithguard are usually grumpy spirits of the â€˜deadâ€™ pirates who canâ€™t except that they are dead, however they canâ€™t refuse another option to go on a raid once more however this is a very desperate situation since pirates still view this as a grave robbing.
Now answers to your questions:
1. Well, every Eldar starships has infinity circuit so I don't see much problems with that but the base where the pirates are leaving their 'liberated' goods probabbly wouldn't have it â€¦
2. See above an Eldar starship has spirit stones but the pirates are probabby-lacking materials to build the proper body to house the spirit stone but nevertheless they will probably have one or two 'dead' skippers around.
The army itself would probably have some kind of psycher to act as counselor (but not the Seer council this can be found only on craftworlds) how and why is he there I leave it up to youâ€¦
3. It is.
a wave serpant is the same size as a falcon, just with increased carrying capability...how can one be in the webway and one not?
i thought pirate eldar were more the harleqins...
What about Saim Hann? I figured they would fit in more with a roving pirate band, esp. with the lean towards fast attack. Is the Wild Rider Chief still good to go? Or maybe just Exodites.Originally Posted by Gallowglacht
The mod's on a shining spear would be awesome. I had counted them out but a mod like you described would be a perfect way to add them in
Marcus Piraticus' army idea is pretty cool too, but I want to stay away from Wraithguards and Wraithlords more from a RP aspect than from a gaming one. I'd rather take a loss in charecter than a win out of charecter. I would probably utilize the War Walkers in place of a Wraithlord. I also like the pirate captain ideas and I would like one or two secondary units as a First Mate and Bosun.
Other than that I would like to add some Wave Serpents for transport but I wouldn't want more than two and I think Saim Hann would restrict this more. I've got an image of a small strike force that uses hit and run tactics (which makes the idea of converted shining spears great.)
Thanks for the ideas, guys!
Last edited by Hideyoshi; September 3rd, 2006 at 05:24.
Yes this craftworld would fit nicely and would give your army more of a raider look (just don't buy/use to many vypers since it would be vise to take the coming codex in the account)...What about Saim Hann? I figured they would fit in more with a roving pirate band, esp. with the lean towards fast attack. Is the Wild Rider Chief still good to go? Or maybe just Exodites.
If you want to use exodites in your army (I've been toying with that idea as well) you'll have to convert them and find the right rules for them so far you can use 'creature feature' idea that was published in WD. Alternately you could use the carnsour with Eldar rider and somehow give him a heavy weapon and count his rules as wraithlord...Most of the heavy vehicles have to be deployed with the use of starships... since the delicate nature of the webway doesn't allow to muve vith anything bigger than Vyper.a wave serpant is the same size as a falcon, just with increased carrying capability...how can one be in the webway and one not?As will I the 0-1 restrictions only shows that they are there only very rarely seen/used. Alternately this could show the aid of the craftworld (think of a prince Yeril and his Eldritch raiders)â€¦I would probably utilize the War Walkers in place of a Wraithlord.
I hope the new dex is out before I get back from the sandbox. I'd like to buy the bulk of my army in the states instead of ordering/buying it in Japan.Originally Posted by Marcus Piraticus
Otherwise I'll just sit around and paint leftover Nids, wistfully waiting for the new dex.