A new Dark Eldar player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

A new Dark Eldar player

Hello everyone!
    i am here because i bought my friends dark eldar this very day. i haven't played with them at all but i really like their fluff and models. and i got them at a very, very nice price. anyway, this is what i got:

Troops:
    49 warriors - 10 splinter cannons, 4 dark lances
    1 raider

Elites:
    7 Wyches
    1 Wych Succubus
    9 Mandrakes
    9 Grotesques

HQ:
    1 Haemonculus
    2 Incubi
    1 Incubi Master

Heavy Support:
    2 Talos
    1 Ravager

Fast Attack:
    6 Reaver Jetbikes
    5 Hellions

now, do you think i can make anything out of these? could i make a reasonable army?
    i'm definitely going to buy at least one more raider. the ravager i have can easily be used as a raider if i'd like.
    please comment, i will need as much help as i could possibly get. i will probably be meeting alot of necrons and tau. maybe some space marines.
    thanks for your time.

it seems i won't be able to use my Incubi, as i don't have an Archon, oh well. i suppose i'll have to buy an Archon then.

Last edited by Necrontyr; September 2nd, 2006 at 21:47.
    "I have seen you humans, trying to forge an Empire in the name of a corpse"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

Yeah, definately get a dark eldar lord. Here's a very, very basic rundown on our units.

REALLY good: Lord, Wyches, Warriors, Raiders.
    Really good: Incubi, Ravagers.
    Good: Haemonculi, Reaver Jetbikes... Talos....
    Fairly bad: Mandrakes, Grotesques, Scourges, Hellions.

With that said i'm including a squad of mandrakes and scourges in my army so they aren't prohibitively bad, some people theme their armies around grotesques or mandrakes, sure, they might not win alot, but it can be fun. The worst unit in our codex I think might be hellions, scourges are pretty darn bad too.

Umm... NEVER field wyches or incubi or anything like that without a raider, they NEED it. Always field a ravager with 3 disintegrators or if thats not possible, with 2 disintegrators and 1 dark lance. Always field enough dark lances, you can take heaps of them. Warriors are really good, make sure you have enough of them, you can make a working (albiet a bit boring) army using nothing but warriors if you really want to.

Don't use incubi in a squad of more than 6 or so, and never use an incubi master, just use him as a normal incubus, incubi master upgrade is a complete waste. Just consider the lord in the squad the squad leader. When fielding incubi, only use a dracon in that squad, a minimal dracon without shadow field or combat drugs, this way, your squad isn't complete overkill and is efficient, and it means if you want to, you can have an archon with shadowfield in some other place. I don't use talos at all myself, I think their too slow to be in the army, but if you use them, do keep them in the webway portal.

Do NOT field grotesques without a character attached, whether its the archon or just a haemonculus doesn't matter, but they need a character to be any form of reliable. Don't expect your mandrakes to kill anything much, their use isn't through being powerful, but by their tactical use.

Don't mix weapons on ANYTHING. If you have warriors, its either 2 splinter cannons or 2 dark lances, NOT a mix, if you mix, you are always wasting potential, when you want to shoot a tank, your splinter rounds will just bounce off and when you want to shoot a mob of orks, that dark lance isn't going to do much at all. Its ok to have a couple of blasters and a couple of splinter cannons in a squad, but only really because shredders suck. With ravagers, its important that they have disintegrators, as with them, they can move over 6" taking advantage of the skimmer moving fast rule, while still being able to fire all its weapons, one of which can be on maximum fire, whereas with a dark lance, it would only be able to shoot one. Don't put night shields on your raiders, their ok on ravagers though. All the vehicle upgrades are horrible so don't use them, with the exception of horrofexes which are useful for some cheap pinning, night shields on ravagers if you have the points lying around and screaming jets in an army of shadows, but ONLY in an army of shadows.

I might post again later.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

thanks alot for your answer. i'll definitely buy a DE lord. and probably a raider squad so i get a few more warriors. i'm also thinking about a few more wyches and incubi.
    do you have any advice on taking on necrons?
    the monolith is a problem, but with dark lances i should be able to take it out. i'm more afraid of their really strong shooting and high toughness.

what's the best retinue for the lord? warriors with a sybarite, so they all can fleet. or incubi, for that extra cc madness?

oh, and how does the web way portal work? i've heard people talking about it but i can't find anything about it in the codex or on the internet. just where can i read about it?

EDIT: i found the WWP but how should i properly use it? i'd want to give WWPs to at least 2 characters. i'm guessing i'll put them on my archon in the raider. or my wych succubus in another raider?
    and how do they work? can i assault in the same turn as i place a WWP? i assume so as i can't find anything that states otherwise in the codex.
    Last edited by Necrontyr; September 3rd, 2006 at 10:48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I'm not an advanced DE palyer, I guess I know the basic traits of all DE units. I'd advise you to buy another Lord too and maybe 2 more Wyches to get a full squad on your raider.

Personally, I like to go with a strong Lord and a fine ~6 Inccubi Retinue, even in 1000 points games. This is often considered as an overkill, but there's nothing more usefull to slay marines or other heavily armoured enemys (like necrons).
    Advanced player claim that you'd best ignore the monolith and only hit units that can cause the necrons to phase out. Others say Haywire Grenades work best. The Dark Lances definitely have a hard time to destroy a monilith, because the monolith ignores the DL special feature to negate armor >12. With a 6 for a glancing hit it's hard to take down.

Although I dont posses any of them and was never able to try them out, I don't agree with what was said about Grotesques. I guess you can use them on a raider with a Haemuculus to support your Wyches. Charge into the enemy with your Wyches, charge with only one or two grots. Hope to kill more enemys than your opponents (you shall not attack with all your grots, because they'll get killed too fast). Then sweep over your auto-fleeing enemy. As I said, I never tried it out, but I guess it could work.
    btw: Wyches are much more effective against masses of weak opponents (Toughness 3 with an save that's not better than their own), while your Inccubi can hit the heavy things.

Further: Sniper Squads with 10 Warriors incl. 2 Dark Lances are very popular. Mandrakes are a rather bad choice what doing damage concerns, but they may be usefull to claim mission markers or something like this. Hellions and Scourges aren't worth their points, I guess. Jetbikes with blaster may be effectively used as Tank Hunters and seem to be very usefull, just like the Ravagar (against Necron maybe I'd use DL, against Tau Desintegrators, but I'm not absolutely sure).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

thanks for your answer.
    i just realised that my incubi master was actually a lord i had no idea they came in 2 totally different models. that means i only have 2 incubi though. i'll definitely have to get a few more of them if i want to be able to kill some heavily armored stuff, like necrons.

i don't think i'll ever get the chance of only charging with one or two of my grots, if the possibliity ever reveals itself though, i might try it. but is it really worth it? i suppose it's a good idea to try and get as few of your models as possible in base2base, but as many as possible locked in combat. but hopefully, with the help of an haemonculus they'll be able to win most of their combats straight away. i'll just have to pick my targets carefully.

so, on the buy-list:
    1 raider
    at least 2 probably 3 incubi
    3 wyches

i'll get more eventually, but these are the most urgently needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -41 (x0)

how much did you pay for this pretty fine DE army may i ask... it seems you have got quite the bargain there

anyway... as tenozuma has said basically stated pretty much all there is to know about the ol' DE i'll just add to it.

are you thinking of utilising a WWP in your army... because if you do some units become more useful. i use a WWP in my 1500pts army... and thats the sole reason i use 3 taloi in it... talos just won't make it to combat in a normal list.

its also why my archon and drachite don't have any transports or retinues since that 12" charge combat drug thingys there. with the 6" move and the FOF D" move thats one pretty large charge range. also you have to roll seperatly for your HQs and your troops to arrive via the web... which obviously muddles your transport plans up.

i agree with ol' tenozumy about mandrakes being sub-par... but i still use them... for 'tactical reasons' kinda. btw tenozuma you missed out warp beastys... which should be with the incubi in that list of yours

anyway... keep rocking with the dark eldario's
    -SONS of RUSS member-

Exiled until 5thED redo...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

i paid 350 swedish kronor for the army, which is about 50$ or 25£, quite a bargain, yes :shifty:

in larger battles i do think i'll be utilizing the WWP, and i'll have to ask once again. what's the best way to get the WWP out there? a unit with grots and a haemonculus in a raider seems like a good way.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Hi, upon looking at your list I would firstly obtain 2 more Wyches to take the squad with the succbus to 10 and place these into the raider as these are your more combat useful troops you have (ie they MUST get into combat to be of any use at all). Succbus has Agoniser and the rest of the squad has Wych weapons.
    Reduce the Mandrake squad to 5 and use these to slow down any enemy that gets too close for comfort, these are a sacrificial squad in this case or use them to claim a table quarter and take them right out of the battle.
    As stated before the Grots need the leadership of a character and can be combined well the Dark Lord to break Necrons in close combat as they cause fear.
    With the warriors form 2 sniper squads of ten men each and a squad of 14 and 15 on foot with 2 splinter cannons each. The snipers have 2 dark lances in each squad and will camp in cover and proceed to pick of armour and vehicles and the foot squads will carry a web portal into position/act as a fire base, providing a solid core for you. The actual portal carrying models will be the Haemonculus and an upgraded warrior Sybarite.
    Out of the portal can come the 2 Talos and the Ravager, the wych raider, the Lord and the Grots (you will need a second Raider for the Lord and the Grots).
    The Reavers start on the board and target any heavy weapon squads by turbo boosting straight towards the target ( these will need blasters for this to work and a Succubus with a power weapon for added punch in close comat). You can use 2 squads with 2 blasters each or combinations of the above.
    The Incubi I personally don't like as they are too expensive and slow and the Hellions I think are again too expensive and lack punch.
    Hope that helps.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

First off, nice force you have there, you can make 1000 points without any changes if you had to. I wouldn't take mandrakes at all in a 1000 pt game though (maybe Cities of Death). I only field incubi in 2000 point games and only if I need to fill points, just for a different perspective, but maybe that's why my win/loss ratio is only 17/11.
    Anyway to answer your questions, yes you can make something out of it and yes it will be a reasonable army provided you play low-mid level point games.
    Since you will be playing Marines and Necrons you want lots of AP 3 or better, DE were designed as anti-MEQ so that isn't a problem. Definately get another Ravager for games over 1000 points. If cost is an issue then get a Raider, model on some generic side plates and convert 2 of your splinter cannons (you have way more cannons than you would reasonably field).

There are a couple of different lists that could be made from your models but you would have to be familiar with each unit tactic, which has been touched on but not explained by other replies.
    Grotesques, thier special rule forces the enemy who loses close combat to fall back (no Ld check allowed). And if you have an Archon in the combat then you will have I7 +1d6 to sweep them (and take them as slaves). The archon is critical because he is likely the one who will cause the winning casualties and is also the one whose initiative will overrun the enemy.
    Reaver Bikes, work best as anti tank units with 2 blasters. Secondary roles are CC support units. They won't survive most CC on thier own, even with an Archon attached. 4 models is usualy strictly for tank hunting while a 5 model unit usually includes a Succubus to go support CC after the tank has been killed.
    War Record Since Sept 2005
    Old Codex 48-20-9 Dark Eldar
    New Codex 1-0-0 Dark Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

ok, i went to my local store today, they didn't have very much but i decided on buying 4 incubi and 1 sybarite.

i also ordered 3 wyches and 1 raider + 8 warriors from the net. i should be ready for some serious combat once i get that shipment.

thanks for your answer medic_4077.
    i might be using grotesques and archons in some games, it does seem like quite a nice combo. especially nice against large necron squads or some such.

anyway, i still need some information on the WWPS. the codex states that i can use the WWP in the shooting instead of moving or shooting. that does mean that i can put a WWP on my wych succubus, transport her and her group of wyches 12'' with a raider, disembark, deploy the WWP in the shooting phase, assault 6'' in the assault phase, leaving the WWP for reserves in my next round, right? (was that a long sentence or what? :rolleyes

my friend with the necrons really want to play a 1700pts battle, so i made a possible army-list. it's not finished though, as i'm sure i'll have to do alot of fine tuning.
    the list is taken from armybuilder so the points cost may seem a bit strange. it all sums up as it should though

PHP Code:
    1700 Pts  -   Dark Eldar Army

1 Dracon 
    (HQ) @ 360 Pts
         Agoniser 
    (x1); Splinter Pistol (x1)

Shadow Field [25]

Tormentor Helm [5]

Combat Drugs [25]

Plasma Grenades [2]

6 Incubi Retinue @ [247Pts
              Torm
    Hl. & Punisher (x6); Plasma Grenades

3 Additional Warriors 
    @ [30Pts
                   Splinter Rifle 
    (x3); Plasma Grenades

1 Raider 
    @ [55Pts
                   Dark Lance

10 Warriors 
    (Troops) @ 100 Pts
         Splinter Rifle 
    (x8); Dark Lance (x2)

10 Warriors (Troops) @ 100 Pts
         Splinter Rifle 
    (x8); Dark Lance (x2)

16 Warriors (Troops) @ 212 Pts
         Splinter Rifle 
    (x14); Splinter Cannon (x2)

1 Sybarite @ [64Pts
              Splinter Rifle
              Webway Portal 
    [50]

17 Warriors (Troops) @ 156 Pts
         Splinter Rifle 
    (x15); Splinter Cannon (x2)

9 Wyches (Elites) @ 278 Pts
         Splinter P
    . & CCW (x9); Plasma GrenadesWych Weapons

1 Succubus 
    @ [97Pts
              Splinter P
    . & CCWPlasma GrenadesWych Weapons
              Combat Drugs 
    [25]

Webway Portal [50]

1 Raider @ [55Pts
              Dark Lance

1 Ravager 
    (Heavy Support) @ 145 Pts
         Disintegrator 
    (x3)

Night Shield [20]

Horrorfex [5]

1 Talos (Heavy Support) @ 100 Pts

1 Talos 
    (Heavy Support) @ 100 Pts

5 Reaver Jetbikes 
    (Fast Attack) @ 145 Pts
         Splinter Pistol
    Splinter Rifle (x3); Blaster (x2)

Models in Army84

Total Army Cost
    i think you get the basic idea with this list,

a dracon with incubi/warrior retinue mounted in a raider, to eat things in CC.

2 sniper squads with warriors and 2 slightly bigger warrior squads with splinter cannons, footslogging. one of the splinter cannon groups have a sybarite with a WWP, to place strategically.

9 wyches with a succubus mounted in a raider, all with wych weapons except the succubus who fields agoniser/splinter pistol, she also carries a WWP and combat drugs. everyone with plasma grenades.

2 taloses in reserve waiting to enter through the WWPS

1 ravager to get some heavy fire upon my enemy

5 reaver jetbikes where 2 are equipped with blasters, to hunt any tank/heavy unit or support in CC if necessary.

any comments welcome.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast