War walkers.. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: War walkers..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

War walkers..

Well, I really like the new war walker models, and I'd really like to be able to use one or two. However, they don't look like the kind of unit which is easy to use. The only times I've ever seen them used in a game they've been annihilated in the first turn.

Anyway, I was thinking about fielding one armed with twin Eldar Missile Launchers.. With the long range, it could sit right back, hopefully avoiding some of the pain. Plus the multi template goodness.

Basically.. I was going to ask, do you guys use war walkers? If so, what kind of tactics do you use to keep them viable? What do you think of my plan, or is it best to go with something cheap like twin scatter lasers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

War Walkers

I have never used them, but with BS 3 I would suggest a weapon taht would get off mroe than one shot, like a starcannon, but for 65 points you are better off with a heavy weapons platform with some guardians. I just do not see how the War Walkers are justefied for their point cost, maybe they will change it in the next codex.
    Last edited by Kalypso; September 3rd, 2006 at 07:03.
    -Do not regret what you cannot change

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis
    Well, I really like the new war walker models, and I'd really like to be able to use one or two. However, they don't look like the kind of unit which is easy to use. The only times I've ever seen them used in a game they've been annihilated in the first turn.

Anyway, I was thinking about fielding one armed with twin Eldar Missile Launchers.. With the long range, it could sit right back, hopefully avoiding some of the pain. Plus the multi template goodness.

Basically.. I was going to ask, do you guys use war walkers? If so, what kind of tactics do you use to keep them viable? What do you think of my plan, or is it best to go with something cheap like twin scatter lasers?

i have heard (just a rumour) that when you will mount two of the same weapons on a war walker it will become twin linked, instead of two seperate weapons. so no two blast templates

the rumour of geeting the scout rule, could be very nice when combined with missle launchers/bright lances. we could get into a perfect firing spot before battle.

i personally might are deffinently going to play test them once and then i will see if i continue to use them

hope it helps
    "Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and terrifying to know"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

I use warwalkers

Quote Originally Posted by elfwarden
    i have heard (just a rumour) that when you will mount two of the same weapons on a war walker it will become twin linked, instead of two seperate weapons. so no two blast templates
    I highly doubt the twin-linked thing, this original idea was the warwalker to be a light firebase, this would mess up the concept. But this rumour has also been refered to the wraithlords, so you may of mistaken them for this unit here.

However I do use an Ulthwe Strike Force as well. They tend to be deployed inside the wraithgate so in the turn they arrive they unleash a deadly volley of shooting in support with the close combaters. This way I'm garenteed they deal their share of damage before they take return hits.

On an open regular battle though it's a case of being reserve. Anyways, at the begining of each game I would deploy them behind terrain, in a place where they meet no LoS to start of with. When they finally walk out of terrain make sure that they are not too exposed. In other words, stick them in areas where there are single firing paths. Kind of the same tactics one would use for small Heavy weapons squads (Devastators/ Retributors etc) except that your unit can move anf fire, thus gaining the advantages of avoiding being shot.

With movement sorted I move onto the weapons. Ideally you want weapons which have a high chance of killing whatever you expose your walker to. Also outrange advantage helps a lot. So for example, I want to kill a small squad of marines...in this case a load out of starcannons would help, If i was fighting tau then maybe an array of missle launchers to deal with their hammerheads and basic firewarriros. The main idea is that you kill as much as possible to reduce the amount of returns shots. Obviously warwalker squadrons can only shoot a single target which is why limited LoS towards them from the opposing army is important, not to mention support from the rest of your army.
    Last edited by Heiromyo; September 3rd, 2006 at 16:18.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ha.. no more ulthwe stike force after the release of eldar... your boned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Heiromyo
    I highly doubt the twin-linked thing, this original idea was the warwalker to be a light firebase, this would mess up the concept. But this rumour has also been refered to the wraithlords, so you may of mistaken them for this unit here.
    It is a very strong rumour. And besides, War walkers was made to be a scout-unit which could give light support to advancing infantry, not heavy weapon-machines. Like Eldar Sentinels really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Reflex
    ha.. no more ulthwe stike force after the release of eldar... your boned.
    Completely unnecessary comment tbh :/

Anyways, while rules for individual craftworlds may not exist in the new codex wraithgates can still as wargear (Dark Eldar codex for example). Remember the idea of the new codex is meant to be very adaptable so you can build different craftworld from the rules (kind of like what they've done with space marines or imperial gaurd though obviously not with their respective systems).
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Thanks for the replies..

A twin linked missile launcher walker could be fun, provided that twin linking rumour was true. Otherwise, another part of the plan (which I missed out) was to have a farseer with guide who might be able to provide an accuracy boost some of the time. I guess I just like the EML, it seems like a good 'all comers' choice, and the idea of two effectively twin linked blast templates seemed nice, even if it does cost a fair bit.

Anyway, I can't actually get anything until the new stuff comes out anyway, so when it does I might see what can be done with pins. Interchangable weapons would be handy.

On the tactics, thanks Heiromyo.. I'll definately keep those in mind. Most of the time when I've seen war walkers they weren't deployed in cover, which might explain their early graves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Or you could give it a Brightlance and a Missile Launcher nad guide it. Will be a nice AT-walker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bit OT but I wouldn't dismiss Ulthwe Strike Force just yet… there are some people that claim that the author of USF and codex: Eldar personally said that USF will be playable.

Oh, and I believe that there will be no wraithgates as wargear in the new codex… it would be nice thought.

+ Reply to Thread