Stingwings,,,, are they worth it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stingwings,,,, are they worth it?

I am thinking of starting a tau force and I am looking at having a single squad of stingwings to use as a shock troop against assaulting SM's......... has anyone tried this and how have they faired?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Stingwings don't work GW made them very ineffective however I suggest you use them.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wouldn't think an ap3 weapon could be inneffective??? I mean granted they hit on 4's but they wound on 3's ... and can't they be effected by markerlights???
    Last edited by gunslinger2005; September 11th, 2006 at 12:13.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

Well, not that their ineffective as such, more just that crisis suits and other tau things are just so much better at doing what they do, a plasma rifle and perhaps a fusion blaster will do far more than a vespid, far more resiliance and versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Sure I'll admit that vespids are pretty good SM killers... hit on 4+, wound on 3+ with no AS. however, I always look as SM as being even better vespid killers. They hit on a 3+ with no AS allowed.

They just seem too fragile for me to use. I'd prefer to take a unit of GDs or something. If you do use them, just be sure that you can kill the SMs that you are shooting at, because even one determined marine with a bolter can do a number on Vespids.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

"I told you, it's not Pink! It's Light Red!" Donut on his new power-armor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah the problem with vespids are the short range.
    sure you might destroy half a squad of marines, but to do so will put you in the marines assault / rapid fire range. that half a squad thats left will eat through those vespid.
    vespid only have a 5+ save which means virtually every single weapon in an sm army will negate there save.

they are useful, but highly situational and HAVE to be supproted. and yes they can use markerlights as long as the strain leader is alive.
    leave the moderating to the moderators

if pro is the opposite of con, does that mean progress is the opposite of congress?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Stingwings can function well in a networked army where your units support one another, but aren't very good as a stand alone unit.

As for the 5+, cry me a river, I'll take tough 4 and a 5+ over tough3 and a 4+ any day. Tough 4 is better protection then ppl give it credit for, just ask any Ork player.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Against SM or Necrons, Get'em

I think that Stingwings are great against SM, this is probably why GW made them. I wish that they functioned like having jetpacks though... :rolleyes:.

Against the Marines take a lot, and though they have only 12" range, they deny the AS! Same vs. Necron Warriors! Come to think of it, most warriors are harassed by Vespids. My major hate is that they're so expensive...

I say yes ,

Hex
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also, if your player knows the fagility of them the enemy they will soak up fire like a sponge, so you could also use them to distract the enemy from a potentialy more devistating unit, or bring them into the open for say a hammerhead to drop the submunition onto. I like them but its all preference, so try them! but dont go and just buy them outright just incase you dont like them becasue they are a might bit expencive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vespids are deadly, but you have to make sure that the SM you are gonna kill have something more important to shoot at. Dont know how you would make them shoot at something else, but, if you find a way to have the vespids be ignored, then they will destroy the SM.
    I play my 40k with friendly fire.
    Finally fixed the link!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast