Backup Weapons on Broadsides - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

Backup Weapons on Broadsides

I did a quick search and read the stickies and didn't find anything so if this has already been posted at some point, I apologize in advance.

Well, they come with a (TL) railgun and a smart missile system right, but is it better to keep the missile system or upgrade to plasma rifles?

Smart missile systems make broadsides good at killing swarms too which is good, but their heavy weapons so they can't move and shoot. Though, they don't need LOS so you can see but not be seen which is awesome. Plasma rifles take full advantage of the broadsides ability to move but not count as having moved which is awesome, and pretty much you can choose whether to shoot the railguns, or if he doesn't have any tanks just use them as another crisis suit. I'm thinking I might have 4 in my army (redoing list) and I gave them plasma rifles becuase I don't have any crisis suits in the army with them. (2 commanders have them, without bodyguards and they only other crisis suit is super anti horde with ion blaster and the big blast thingo) I think it clearly depends on what other weapons are in the list, since I have 12 stealth suits and 24 fire warriors in fishes + the crowd control suit and the railhead if need be I probably already have a good ammount of anti horde yet since I have very litte anti meq, the plasma rifles seem better.

What do you put on your broadsides (or what would you put in my situation)?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

I would leave it as it is (Smart Missiles) because the upgrade of its guns to grant an extra kill or two (at rapid fire range) is not worth the 15 points cost. :ninja:
    Anima Tactics - try it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The plasma is good against MEQs, it really tears them to pieces. If you are going against an army that doesnt spew out 3+ saves, stick to the smart missiles, mainly since you can fire over terrain. Also, the points saved can buy you some more troops, instead of getting a redundant weapon, which is very useful agianst horde-type enemys.
    I play my 40k with friendly fire.
    Finally fixed the link!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester
    The plasma is good against MEQs, it really tears them to pieces. If you are going against an army that doesnt spew out 3+ saves, stick to the smart missiles, mainly since you can fire over terrain. Also, the points saved can buy you some more troops, instead of getting a redundant weapon, which is very useful agianst horde-type enemys.
    I would not waste the points on plasma, if a unit is close to broadsides you can either fire the railguns at them or the support weapon, even with plasma you are not going to stop enough to get charged next turn, if you MUST take XV88's just take the standard weapons load out and save points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

I dunno, I've seen some impressive stuff by broadsides with plasma rifles, but then again, those were packing multi-trackers, so it was basically three twin-linked shots with good strength and ap. Tore up some chaos marines rather nicely and considering the upgrade costs as much as a firewarrior, I think you can splurge and dump the points without suffering too much.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mastershake
    I dunno, I've seen some impressive stuff by broadsides with plasma rifles, but then again, those were packing multi-trackers, so it was basically three twin-linked shots with good strength and ap. Tore up some chaos marines rather nicely and considering the upgrade costs as much as a firewarrior, I think you can splurge and dump the points without suffering too much.
    Well the multi and plasma upgrade costs 15pts, but it also stops you taking other support options, so no drones, shield gens, ASS for instance, the ASS can only be taken by all the team members, SG are non HW, drones are a support slot only choice unless your team leader or above.
    Really for the limited use it will get a plasma is not really worth the extra points, your getting two shots max at BS3 (even 3 XV88's only means 6) with a 25% miss rate for twinlinked, so your not going to kill enough to stop being fired on or assaulted next turn, and really if a unit is within rapid fire range your Broadsides are going to rendered pretty much useless, because after all the role of an XV88 is armour killing, if its firing its plasma's its not firing its railguns is it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

I'm giving them targetting arrays as their support weapon (its just a thing I like to do) and not giving them multi trackers either because I save the points and I figure that a plasma rifle isn't going to do much damage to a tank and a railgun will be of little help against infantry.

If my army in total only has 2 plasma rifles, no rail rifles etc... then shouldn't it be a good idea to plasma up the broadsides?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would stick with the SMS for two reasons.

-cost extra points
    -Railgun is a heavy weapon too so if u move, u cant use railguns

SMS is good for all races. it has high rate of fire, medium strength, and can shoot without LOS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    58 (x1)

But you can make broadsides slow and purposeful, right? This is what my friend does so he can move and shoot his missles and railguns. To fire both he also has the, what, multitracker? The missles are ok against my CSMs and his railguns are just about the only thing he has for anti-oblit firepower. He also brings crisis suits with plasma, fusion and a missle pod. Although, in the 4 games we've played, I don't think he's gotten to use the fusions once (12" and he stays as far back as possible).

4 twinlinked missle shots that don't require line of sight are pretty nasty at times. Of course, saves really determine their effectiveness.
    R.I.P. Iron Warriors, you will be missed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoal07
    But you can make broadsides slow and purposeful, right? This is what my friend does so he can move and shoot his missles and railguns. To fire both he also has the, what, multitracker? The missles are ok against my CSMs and his railguns are just about the only thing he has for anti-oblit firepower. He also brings crisis suits with plasma, fusion and a missle pod. Although, in the 4 games we've played, I don't think he's gotten to use the fusions once (12" and he stays as far back as possible).

4 twinlinked missle shots that don't require line of sight are pretty nasty at times. Of course, saves really determine their effectiveness.
    I hope he has upgraded his XV88 to a team leader or his suit is illegal, you can make XV88's slow and purp (advanced stabalisation system) but its not really worth the points and it stops Shas'Ui XV88's from taking other support systems.
    Best advice all round is take Hammerheads for the railguns, Warfish for the SMS and XV8's for the Plasma, makes more sense to me.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast