Conceal VS Embolden - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conceal VS Embolden

I have now played 10 games with me Ulthwe army and have come to the conclusion that unless you are planning to Fortune your ConcealedBlack guardian squad. Conceal is a waste of points because as soon as you take 25% casulties you only have a 50% chance of staying around and not fleeing.

I have found EMBOLEN to be a lot more effective in keeping the squad on the field of battle. You do have to become more creative in finding ways to keep your Guardians alive, but the simple fact that they stay in the battle longer makes up for this.

Any comments?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Yup. First even at below 50% you only need a 7 on 2d6. The odds of that happening are 21/36 which is better than 1/2. Second since you only need to make a moral check when you take 25% casualties conceal should cause you to make fewer tests and to not go below 50% that fast if at all.

There are a number of factors that may be throwing off your personal experience.

1. Putting conceal on too small of a guardian squad. If your squad consists of less than ten models I wouldn't use conceal. You'll still dip below 50% too soon and make to many checks. Also you aren't protecting as many points.

2. Sending them out like a suicide squad. Our guardians biggest advantage, uniqe in basic infantry, is that they can move and fire solid long range weaponry. That means they can play a devilish game of keep away, and at the least should get in a round with shurican catapaults before enemy contact. If the guardians ever take the full brunt of a rapid fire weapon squad you should think back through the battle afterwards and think about if you could have done things differently.

If your experience is something else post the details.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Ulthwe strike force player here *waves*, and I must admit Embolden has saved my neck a few times just because my Gaurdians refused to run away. Even more so for USF since the Gaurdians are subject to tactical withdrawal. But same goes for other armies, once your opponent starts to shoot at them above a certain point conceal isn't going to do much in the means of helping.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

I still like Conceal the most, it effectively saves 1/3 of the guardains who would otherwise have been shot to death. Sure you can ask "what is the point with the guardians living if they flee the battle"... but if you have conceal, you can run around without cover.

If you plan to keep your Guardians in cover to give... covering fire, Embolden is the way to go.

But I like rather big squads without heavy weapons, and they need conceal to survive.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I like rather big squads without heavy weapons, and they need conceal to survive.
    I agree whole heartedly with this, if you are going to stay out in the open then you will need to have Conceal and NO heavy weapons so you can fleet.

You can stay in cover and supply covering fire as you correctly stated. But a non concealed Guardian squad doesn't have to stay there. When for 75 pts you buy a Mobile Shield (Wraithlord). 1 Wraithlord can effectivly cover 2 Guardian Squads simply by walking in front of them. Then when anything big enough pops out to shot at the Wraithlord, the Heavy Weapons platforms blow the S@$T out of it. I currently play with at least 1 Wraithlord in my 1500pt army and equip it with a Starcannon then have him block for 2 Guardians Squads equiped with Missile Launchers and Embolden. This has worked wonders against Marines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

You'll need to edit out the points cost of a wraithlord. Also he must take his compulsory heavy weapon so hes actually as costly as a dreadnought (and far less firepower).

How do you plan to block LoS to that many guardians? you just can't do it. I only use wraithlords like that to block LoS to my avatar (very effective).

Guardians giving covering fire? thats impossible with such short range. 5 man squads with a starcannon shouldn't have a warlock.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

As a dark eldar player, my shooty warriors use cover a lot and I must say, I don't quite get the point of conceal, if they are being grav platform delivery systems, why not just drop them in real cover and then let the warlock take another power like embolden or just not take a power, or in an USF, most of them a coming in through the webway anyway so they won't get shot at untill their already in range or at least alot less than before. Obviously, its great for a new player who uses their eldar like space marines straight up the field, they get a save against bolters, but for a player who uses cover how does conceal actually help?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Ok USF and Craft Ulthwe are pretty different.

But one thing about the concealed squad is that I often want to fan my army out of avoid losing too much in CC. So a couple squads go in cover, but usually at least one big concealed squad is running around in the open.

Also remeber the targeting rules. They have to check to ignore the concealed unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LordLink
    You'll need to edit out the points cost of a wraithlord. Also he must take his compulsory heavy weapon so hes actually as costly as a dreadnought (and far less firepower).
    Where does it state that the Heavy Weapon is a complusory purchase? The Codex states that you "MAY" purchase a Heavy weapon not "MUST".

You are correct that the Wraithlord can't block LOS for so many Guardians, but it does force your opponent to make take a Target priority test if he wants to shoot at them. Which can be just as useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King cheese
    Where does it state that the Heavy Weapon is a complusory purchase? The Codex states that you "MAY" purchase a Heavy weapon not "MUST".

i belive this is what is stated in the new codex. but by no means is it necessary to take a heavy weapon in this edition. this is just a confusing situation on his behalf.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast