Ideas for Close-Combat Army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideas for Close-Combat Army?

So Far I have just the basics.

Guardian Squard x15

Rangers x3

Farseer x1

Striking Scorpions x4

Jetbike x1

I hope to get a grav tank and maybe get a set of storm guardians, but I have heard both good and bad things about the Storm sqaud.

Any thoughts on a Close-Combat Army for me?? :wacko:

Last edited by Suk It tarbek 33; September 20th, 2006 at 01:09.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Well I use a lot of storm guardians in my army, and I mean a lot. This past weekend I took a very, very combat orientated eldar army to a 750 tournament, I did pretty well with 2 massacres for me and 1 massacre against me.

Storm guardians are good if you invest in them properly, take a large squad of them with a warlock with conceal, or enhance if you play with a lot of cover. You can also give them a transport to get them up real quick, although you can't charge when you disembark so this could be tricky.

Here is my 750 point Ulthwe army I used at the tournament so you can see a combat orientated eldar army, although this army is far from ordinary so be wary.

1 Seer Council @ 335 Pts
    1 Farseer
    Ghost Helm; Runes of Witnessing; Fortune; Witch Blade; Shuriken Pistol
    1 Farseer
    1 Farseer
    1 Warlock
    Close Combat Weapon; Embolden; Shuriken Pistol
    1 Warlock
    Close Combat Weapon; Enhance; Shuriken Pistol
    1 Warlock
    Augment; Close Combat Weapon; Shuriken Pistol
    1 Warlock
    Augment; Close Combat Weapon; Shuriken Pistol
    1 Warlock
    Close Combat Weapon; Shuriken Pistol

19 Storm Guardians @ 205 Pts
    Black Guardian; Flamer (x2)
    1 Warlock
    Witch Blade; Shuriken Pistol; Conceal

19 Storm Guardians @ 205 Pts
    Black Guardians; Flamer (x2);
    1 Warlock
    Witch Blade; Shuriken Pistol; Conceal

Total Roster Cost: 745

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Close Combat

Im sorry I am new at Eldar and don't know a lot yet, and im still almost finished with codex, but On your Storm Guardians you wrote out that they have Black Guardian, what exactly is that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I was also thinking about getting not just a grav tank but a wraithlord as well, Thoughts about the wraithlord anyone? Yes? No?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bustacaps, do you use enhance against marines on your warlocks in your strom squads?
    give positive rep, spread the love.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

Black guardians are an upgraded, more skillful version of the guardians that eldar of the Ulthwe craftworld have acess to, if they are defenders, they get +1 BS and if they are storms, they get +1 WS. The wraithlord is a powerful model, and its good and well worth the points, but it isn't a good idea in all armies, for example, if you play mech biel tan with lots of transports and close combat aspect warriors like striking scorpions and howling banshees, then your wraithlord won't be very useful as it will get left behind because its too slow to keep up with the rest of the army whereas it would be wonderful in an alaitoc army because the army is mostly static anyway so you can use it as a counter charge unit, also because alaitoc have weak anti tank, the wraithlord with a brightlance can help fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings young Seer/Autarch I am glad to see that another one is so eagerly willing in restoring our ancient Empire, remember we are old and proud race and the upstart mon-keigh have no right to claim our galaxy…

Now let's begin:
    1. New codex is about to come out so I would advice you to hold with any major purchases.
    2. The Black guardians/Seer council are Ulthwe craftworld special units the rules for this particular craftworld can be found in Codex: Craftworld Eldar (as well wraith nobles of Iyanden, Wild riders of Saimm-Hann, the unseen rangers of Alaitoc and of course the warlike Beil-Tan). The rules will sadly soon be absolute so I wouldn't buy it unless you want to know what rules/units we had.
    3. Our Guardians are civilians called upon where there is the lack of aspects so don't mass them and footslog them it isn't our way to meaninglessly sacrifice our comrades lives… the dark kin may do that but we don't.
    Storm Guardians aren't exactly the best killing machines out there but in a unit of then with added warlock (enchance/destructor, witchblade& s. pistol and two flamers) can be mediocre against the 'average' human/aliens, sadly no good against the marines so used them to support the elites (either scorpions, spiders/spears in the new codex, swooping hawks, banshees) but armed with haywire grenades they can blow up any tank that should stupid enough to come in range (except the Monolith).
    Since all eldar armies are fast (except the Wraith-guardian) armies I would suggest that you give them a wave serpent so they will be able to keep with your army.

Now you should know that the new codex will favour the so called 'guardian fist tactic' (Eldar started this tactic but the upstart naive Tau perfected it… but now it's the time to show these naive fools the folly of their actions).
    Basically it follows the close combat shooting since all eldar shuriken weapons aren't exactly long ranged and the tactic is simple:
    You take your basic shooting unit (Dire Avengers will work extremely well) in a wave serpent drive them in front of you enemy (but use cover to limit your LOS we don't exactly respond well to fire) and unleash extremely high rate of fire backed with any other support unit (spears,spiders, dragons, hawks) would meant that no or little retaliation back… ah, I am writing about tactic that isn't so effective now and rather mutter about something that 'will' be… medic, where are my pills and get me my restraining jacket.

Heavy support is very subjective everybody loves (hates) wraithlord/Falcon… a Falcon is a very good buy not only it gives you a high rate of fire it can also transport troops combining his equipment is holo-field spirit stones and he should souk quite a lot of fire. While big mr. W is also very good at providing support with his close combat attacks but he's to slow for my taste (selecting an eldar army depends about 7/10 of your personal taste) and the rumour has it that he will be gaining wraithsight, bugger.

So a quick summary of what to buy if you can't restrain yourself until the new codex:
    - Wave serpent (doesn't matter ¾ ed. this is a basic transport unit a most if you want)
    - Falcon (like I said a personal taste)
    - More scorpions (but the new ones look weary sweet)
    - A quick fast attack unit: Hawks or spiders/ a single vyper (vyper is there because every eldar should at leat paint it).

+ Reply to Thread