Winged Hive tyrant (6 pics) Help please. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

Winged Hive tyrant (6 pics) Help please.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE will people let me know what you think, and more importantly leave feedback on how to improve him! Ive purposely left him unvarnished for this so i can make improvements.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

He looks pretty good. I like his teeth. A few things you could improve would be:

1. Where his wings meet his back. Maybe some greenstuff could make it look more like he has holes in his carapce, through which the wings have sprouted. Rather than the seam where the two peices meet.

2. I'm not sure about the yellow/green (darn, I forgot already) on his chest. It looks like you're using that color for his organs/tubes and whatnot, while his chestplate is actually a piece of carapace. Maybe you should paint it like the rest of his carapace?

3. Maybe point both of his devourers forward, so he's not shooting one straight up in the air. That way you could also lower his sythes, so rather than waving them up in the air, he's pointing them forward?

just some brainstorming, you dont actually have to do any of it. Oh, I just thought of something else: are the new tyrants on bigger bases? I think that this might mean you should put yours on a big base, too, so he up-to-date with the rules and all. He looks kind of crowded on his little base anyways.
    Last edited by Abraham Lincoln; September 30th, 2006 at 17:51.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

Thanks for that. In response in not too good with greenstuff, but i might just give it a go!

All his weapons are not actually glued in place, ive fitted magnets into the model and weapon arms so i can change his weapons on the fly, and so pose them any way i like as well! (looks close at the lower right arm of pic 2 and you can sorta see the magnets!)

The green ribs are part of my color scheme, I didnt like having them wrapped in just the one colour and found the ribs were a great way to make a more diverse looking creature, especially on the smaller models. Ive used the same colour on the weapons just to match things up but thanks for your opinion anyway!

As for the base, im not sure, i bought this one from ebay as i wanted a cheap model to convert. (no point spending £25 on a model i could potentially screw up with my inexpertise!) But im going to buy a new model for my standard hive tyrant and if this proves true ill swap bases!

Thanks for replying anyway and i look forward to more feddback!

p.s. im drunk, ignore spelling mistakes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

69 (x1)

it's great stuff mate. I LOVE your colour scheme. very exotic and makes him look very venomous.

Great job. I would concur with the above suggestions but overall, you got a well-above-table-standard painted miniature there.

Nice

Q
    Was this post helpful? Please click the Thumbs Up button to the left if it was. Cheers!

Quannum, funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

Magnets.... dude, I am so jealous. I've always wanted to plant magnets in my bigger models. Have you painted his optional limbs yet? I think the two best ways to arm a flying HT are either 1) all sything talons, or 2) all TL devourers, or a mixture of those two like you have in the pics. Of course now somebody's going to maim me for saying that...
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

pen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, but could you post some specs on those magnets? I'm thinking of getting a tyrant pretty soon and seeing as I have some money to spare some of those magnets would be pretty nice to have...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x7)

sure thing. The ones that fit a tyrant or fex are 6mm across and 0.75mm thick. They fit perfectly and are so strong youll never have to worry about your arm falling off or drooping mid battle. Next size down for the warriors are 4mm across and 1mm thick, and finally you can get really tiny ones that are just 2mm across and fit gaunts perfectly! You can buy them on ebay, just search for RARE EARTH MAGNETS or Neodymium magnets. They are the same thing and are the strongest you can get. I buy from a guy on ebay called silveralexcd he sells packs of 20-40 for about £3. Hope this helps you guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x7)

Heres some pics of the magnets from largest to smallest from silvralexcd 's own auctions to give you more of an idea of size. and a link to a current listing. If you cant find the size you want, email him and im sure he'll help, just tell him you were sent by me!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/40-forty-Tiny-...QQcmdZViewItem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x7)

ive just seen hive tyrant and fex fitters been put on ebay

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

If I haven't said this already in another forum, I think the detail on the Hive tyrant could really be brought out with a watered down ink wash and some highlighting after it's dry. Some more shading and highlighting on the carapace would also help, not too much just a little bit.

I forgot. those wings could do with some work. Try doing a pattern onto them, subtle if you like. Drybrush it carefully applying several layers to form your pattern and then drybrush the whole wing very lightly with white. Once this is done give it an ink wash. The ink will help to blend the colours together and the white if it was applied lightly will act as a highlight.
    Last edited by Leech; October 13th, 2006 at 21:39. Reason: I FORGOT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast