Spinegaunts Conversion Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spinegaunts Conversion Question

If you attach spinefists to the Hormagaunts from the Gaunt sprues, do they count as spinegaunts? It's a question which has been slowly gnawing away at my mind for a while.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Gaunts... with Spinefists... equals Spinegaunts, right? Meaning... yes.

As long as they adhere to WYSIWYG, then it's all good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Doesn't matter if you use hormagaunst bodies or gaunst bodies, just attach the spinefist to whatever bodie you prefer and it's a spinegaunt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Yeah. I use the gaunt bodies to make hormies, which is kind of the reverse of what you're saying. Nobody objects when they notice half of my hormies don't have spikeys on their backs. Just means the swarm has a little more genetic variation
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

To clarify, since you can no longer give leaping to any gaunts except hormagaunts and since only hormagaunts can have scything talons, what type of gaunt is really decided by the bioweapons.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

69 (x1)

on a purely economic level, I find its much more cost-efficient to buy a single box of Gaunts (typically, 8 Hormagaunts, 8 Terma/Spinegaunts) and give each one, a single spinefist arm, and a single scything talon arm. That way, you can create 16 Gaunts that can be used as either Horms or Spines.

None of my opponents ever mind. I just explain to them what each unit is. If I am using Spines and Horms, then I split up the units according to their bodies, i.e. leaping/non-leaping.

Q
    Was this post helpful? Please click the Thumbs Up button to the left if it was. Cheers!

Quannum, funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior47 View Post
    To clarify, since you can no longer give leaping to any gaunts except hormagaunts and since only hormagaunts can have scything talons, what type of gaunt is really decided by the bioweapons.
    I seem to remember a time where you couldnt use regular bodies for hormagaunts and vice versa, because the hormagaunt bodies clearly represented the leaping ability.
    Saying that the bioweapons define it, seems silly, the bodies define it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Quannum View Post
    on a purely economic level, I find its much more cost-efficient to buy a single box of Gaunts (typically, 8 Hormagaunts, 8 Terma/Spinegaunts) and give each one, a single spinefist arm, and a single scything talon arm. That way, you can create 16 Gaunts that can be used as either Horms or Spines.

None of my opponents ever mind. I just explain to them what each unit is. If I am using Spines and Horms, then I split up the units according to their bodies, i.e. leaping/non-leaping.

Q
    Now that, I would object to.
    Imagine a unit of ork boyz, all armed with a shoota and a choppa, so they can be counted as both shoota boyz and slugga boyz.
    Imagine a unit of marines, all armed with a bolter and a chainsword, so they can be counted as having bolters, true grit or bolt pistols and ccw's.

I'm all for saving money, but that kinda thing ticks me off, you might as well be using legos...

Darn, I go so angry I forgot to answer the original question:
    As far as I know, the hormagaunt bodies represent the leaping ability, since regular gaunts cant have leaping and hormagaunts cant have spinefists, sticking spinefists to hormagaunt bodies wouldnt be legal/playable.
    Last edited by Gorbass; October 1st, 2006 at 14:01.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbass View Post
    I seem to remember a time where you couldnt use regular bodies for hormagaunts and vice versa, because the hormagaunt bodies clearly represented the leaping ability.
    Saying that the bioweapons define it, seems silly, the bodies define it too.
    Yes, in 3rd edition, normal gaunts could get the leaping ability so if you wanted regualar spine gaunts they couldn't have leaping bodies. Also, nonleaping gaunts were allowed to have scything talons. Since this is no longer the case and only hormagaunts have scything talons and only normal gaunts can have guns, you don't really need the leaping bodies for people to know what they are. I personally still use them because they look cooler. In a tounament though, someone may have a problem with it if they are a WYSIWYG nazi.

Also I don't really like the idea of using half and half although I guess it works if you are playing friendly games.
    Last edited by Warrior47; October 1st, 2006 at 19:27.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that legal and playable are very different things in friendly games. If a games workshop employee isn't looking over your shoulder, the rules really depend on you and the friends you're playing with.
    Thanks guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

69 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbass View Post
    I'm all for saving money, but that kinda thing ticks me off, you might as well be using legos...

Darn, I go so angry I forgot to answer the original question:
    As far as I know, the hormagaunt bodies represent the leaping ability, since regular gaunts cant have leaping and hormagaunts cant have spinefists, sticking spinefists to hormagaunt bodies wouldnt be legal/playable.
    EDIT: No flame intended! Thanks for the apology. Please accept mine too. And yes, you are older than me it seems! Respect your elders and all that....

Q
    Last edited by Quannum; October 1st, 2006 at 23:12.
    Was this post helpful? Please click the Thumbs Up button to the left if it was. Cheers!

Quannum, funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.

+ Reply to Thread