40K in 40 minutes - What to do? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

40K in 40 minutes - What to do?

My group is looking at doing a Combat Patrol-based 40K in 40 minutes informal tourney, and I must admit I'm lost for how to approach putting together a Nid force for this.

The low points limit is not so much a problem - 20 carapaced stealers would do it - as that without effective ranged attacks, an opponent hugging his back edge and going slow on turns will limit the game to 2 turns in the 40 minutes and so make my attempts to get into cc useless. And as scoring for CP is done on VPs/kills, there's no reason for a shooty army to go anywhere near the pointy bits.

Has anyone taken Nids to a 40k/40min match? Any suggestions on an effective force makeup?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

I have done it before and made the mistake of using some very elite guys by using lictors, warriors and stealers. This works against many types of guys but against IG, you run into problems. They can take swarms and still have heavy weapons. What I would suggest is more of a median, you can't go for a heavy list so use a decent number of gaunts, spine gaunts are ideal because of their cost and the fact they are still better than many units in cc, and then the stealers. This does leave the problem of synapse but I had been taking that before in the form of cc warriors. That was about 135+80=215 and the rest can be used for stealers and such.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because tyranids aren't good at 40k in 40 mins, there has been made a house rule here that you can take a warrior as an HQ. You are not restricted to get 3. Also, they are IC so they can't be targeted if they're in 6" of another squad. And as troops ONLY spinegaunts. Believe me, 70 attacks in a CC phase.... no way anyone can survive . i have 70 Spinegaunts + 1 Warrior. The warrior has VC and Devs. VC for tanks, devs for infantry.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by holo View Post
    Also, they are IC so they can't be targeted if they're in 6" of another squad.
    As far as I am aware (and I am aware) ... Warriors are not Independent Characters, never have been and never will be, unless you're using this house rule of your's to make them so.

Even then, if they do count as IC's in your rules, you've got the rules for IC's wrong. Please re-read the rulebook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, i'm using the house rules to make him an IC. Hmm... then i must re-read the rules xD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

You can already take warriors as HQ choices.

Combat Patrol (40k in 40 minutes) is a very Bad Thing for us Tyranid players. Crappy warriors with crappy synapse. Now, if we could use zoanthropes, maybe, but, you get the picture.

And I'm not a big fan of 500 point games either. I mean, people never want to play with you when you bring 4 monstrous creatures in a 500 point game!
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

You cannot use zoanathorpes (2+ sv), carnis, tyrants, or brood lords. If you are worried about not being able to get into cc what you could also do is pull 3 biovores w/ bioacid. That can easily deal with anly light vehicles and pierces any troops that would be in a combat patrol. That would be a 165 unit with 235 left over so you could still have 11 stealers and maybe pump them up with flesh hooks. I would suggest spore mine clusters but if you are only playing for 2 turns, they may not even get out. They would be cheaper with more firepower though if you could gaurentee that you would play for 3 turns, enough to most likeyly get them all out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

Recently won a combat patrol tourney with my nids.

22 flesh gaunts
    3 warriors with EC, ES, 3 RCs, 1 BS, 2 Devourers, TS
    3 warriors with EC, ES, 3 RCs, 1 BS, 1 Dev, 1 deathspitter, TS
    bioacid SMC
    bioacid SMC
    bioacid SMC

you can read about it here http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=78729 (Combat Patrol-tourney-NIDS WIN!)

Worked just fine for me. S 6 gun, S4 guns out the wazoo, and enough range to kill stuff that sat back.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, and particularly Tarzen's tourney report. Food for thought. I'm actually thinking at this stage of tooling up hard for speed with winged warriors, hormies and maybe some raveners. I'd add gargoyles to this if I had any. But adding a couple of spores as FA choices will certainly give me options and a psych advantage.

+ Reply to Thread