Two Squads of Pathfinders - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two Squads of Pathfinders

Has anyone tried running two squads of Pathfinders in 1500-2000 points?

If so, was it succesful, a waste of points, or just so-so?

I was thinking of trying it out with my usual gaming group and wanted to see what feedback I could get from everyone here before I try it.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sure, if I only had to take one devil fish!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Bear in mind with this idea that pathfinders are support units, so unless you got quite a few units for these two squads to support you'll have more markerlight hits than you can really use.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Let's um, not turn this into a complaining-oriented thread about Pathfinders' required Devilfish...

In a game of 1850 to 2000 points, I can see the double squads being feasible. However, you need to make sure that you have enough other units in the army to really make use of the extra Markerlights - generally speaking, you will most likely have "too many" hits to really make a difference, as you'll find yourself using them on things you wouldn't normally.

The problem with two of the squads is that they do take a fair amount of points away from your "main" force, and they are, indeed, simply a support unit, as their Carbines won't do nearly as much damage as, say, 10+ Pulse Rifles.

ex-Ash_Oblivion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be a good idea, yes, you have too many Markerlights, but if you have a squad on each flank, you can light up units the other Pathfinder team cannot see! Also you can take lots of Rail Rifles, in turn pinning double the amount of units you would be normally.

Im unsure, but can only one squad of Pathfinders light up one enemy unit? Then any other unit and more than one unit use that Markerlight for guidance? I was always unsure about this rule.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Markerlights give so many benefits that I've never once had too many on a target. Between upping the accuracy for multiple squads firing on a single target and either negating cover for XV8s or lowering Leadership for pinning tests, not to mention the horrid accuracy of markerlights and the average lifespan of Pathfinder teams, two squads in 1500-2000 points seems very reasonable to me. Besides, you will likely have most of your other FOC slots filled up.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

I've found two units of pathfinders to be too cumbersome in typical 2000 pts games (because they require 2/10th of the points, not because they are not effective). However, I' ve seen people do quite well with 2 units of pathfinders when some have rail rifles.

I feel that after the first unit of pathfinders, there are more effective ways of getting more markerlights into the army. That being said, I've found that more markerlights are always a plus for my lists, and have begun to look to stealth teams w/marker drones and FW teams with Markerlights for an extra push when I need them. Basically, I've taken to running two parts of a list: mech & troops, and developed my markerlights around that. I've used the skyray to mark for my vehicles (2 hammerhead & 2 pirahna), and the Pathfinder unit to mark for my troops/crisis.

Just my opinion, however.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

"I told you, it's not Pink! It's Light Red!" Donut on his new power-armor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

How many is a good squad number in an 1850 game?

ex-Ash_Oblivion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 with 3 Rail Rifles, i think that is legal and i think the max amount of Rifles is 3. Please correct me.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ash_Oblivion View Post
    5 with 3 Rail Rifles, i think that is legal and i think the max amount of Rifles is 3. Please correct me.
    I disagree. You do not buy Pathfinders for their Rail Rifles - you want Rail Rifles, buy some Sniper Drones.

In an 1850 game, anywhere between six and eight (no fewer!) Pathfinders with standard equipment only is what I recommend. This is just one squad - feel free to try a second squad, too.

Pathfinders are at their best in a support role with their Markerlights. Due to an only-average BS, you need everyone shooting the Markerlights that can do so in the squad, in order to get enough hits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast