Tyrant Guard: The Great Debate Beginneth... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x1)

Tyrant Guard: The Great Debate Beginneth...

First of all, this topic is designed to be a constructive discussion about the much maligned/praised Tyrant Guard. I do not want to see foul-mouthed younglings potty up this board with deconstructive insults.

So, onto the debate:

"THIS HOUSE BELIEVES THAT THE TYRANT GUARD ARE NOT ONLY BEAUTIFULLY SCULPTED EVOLUTIONS OF THEIR PREDECESSORS, BUT ARE ALSO EFFECTIVE ENOUGH ON THE TABLETOP TO GAIN THEIR POINTS BACK AND THEREFORE A VIABLE OPTION FOR TYRANID HIVE MINDS."

I would argue for this. I love the models and for 45 points, and an enviable statline, TG are a great way to ensure Synapse is maintained.

What you all think?

Q

Was this post helpful? Please click the Thumbs Up button to the left if it was. Cheers!

Quannum, funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

I agree, Ive not got the codex in front of me but buying 1 extra wound for your tyrant would cost 25pts, right? Well 1 guard is providing you two wounds at a 5 pt discount, plus all the extra's from their stat line comes for free! Bargain. My only problem is do I field a tyrant with guard or a broodlord? (My flyrant is never going to be left in the box!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

The Tyrant Guard are probably the most drastically improved model between 3rd ed tyranids and 4th edition. In fact, my only beef with the model, is that the scything talons seem a bit...chubby.

They also insure that even a shooty tyrant has close combat pull. An extra 2 T6 wounds is great! Still, the points do add up.

They have the added bonus of making the Hive Tyrant hidden, and I know one or two "psychic" weapon users that scream and moan when their added effect has no effect upon a psyker, mwahahahaha.
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely amazing.
    Its right up there with the stealer and the Fex in most improved unit in the 4th eition codex.
    For what you get, absolutely worth it.
    Only thing is that you cant put it with other MC's besides tyrants, like you could in 3rd edition.
    Other than that, a very good tool.
    Put it with walkin shooty tyrant, you've got yourself a mean unit, un both CC and ranged combat.
    Nids - 1150 pts (I'm poor, dont laugh)

im too 'fexy
    im too 'fexy
    im too 'fexy for my carapace, too fexy for my carapace . . .

"Don't lie to me, Tyler! You know where liars go . . . . . they're elected President!!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

Ok, just to annoy people, guards should get to take wings!!! muh hahahahaha

The blood angels line up their sights upon the flying guard, BANG, one of them is slain, its body falls from the sky like a great boulder and... SPLAT, the full squad of angels are squished

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Only if you have the points to spair, and if it's a shooty Hive Tyrant. Otherwise, I wouldn't have them. On a close combat hive tyrant, it just slows him down, whereas speed isn't as important on a shooty hive tyrant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know nobody seems to like the idea of a walking CC Tyrant whit guard but i will try it anyway this weekend and let you know how the unit perform.BTW im playing against IG.

Me i think the guards are awsome,give your synapse tyrant much needed survivability agaisnt shooty army.
    Let slip the dogs of war.
    Bretonian (over 5k points)
    Tomb king (over 5k points)
    Ogre kingdom (4.5k points)
    Tyranid (3k points but not even half assemble,new army)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Hause- View Post
    Only if you have the points to spair, and if it's a shooty Hive Tyrant. Otherwise, I wouldn't have them. On a close combat hive tyrant, it just slows him down, whereas speed isn't as important on a shooty hive tyrant.
    I don't understand how having Tyrant Guard slows down the Tyrant? They all move 6".

On another note, I'm very much in the camp that hates to see a TMC without some form of CC weapon biomorph. A carnifex without Scything talons is just plain wrong. I know its not good for competitive gaming but hey, I don't mind losing a couple times if it means I get to play with an army I'm happy using.

Q
    Was this post helpful? Please click the Thumbs Up button to the left if it was. Cheers!

Quannum, funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

I don't understand how having Tyrant Guard slows down the Tyrant? They all move 6".
    Most close combat Hive Tyrants have Leeping, or are winged, so Tyrant Guard would slow them down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Hause- View Post
    Most close combat Hive Tyrants have Leeping, or are winged, so Tyrant Guard would slow them down.
    Without being too picky, Hive Tyrants cannot take the leaping biomorph. As great as it would be, it's just wrong and broken if they could.

Tyrant guards: As with everything, if you can afford them, they're great. But so is toxic miasma, both adrenal glands, enhanced senses, extended carapace etc etc etc etc.

I also like the models.

I think with lash whips, they're very good against other cc based armies, who suddenely find their odds drastically reduced as their attacks are reduced
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast