Sniping? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sniping?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sniping?

I re-read the necron FAQ and I found this rule to be a largely unrealistic.

"...any model directly under the center of the Large Blast Template of the Particle whip takes an AP1 hit. The new rules for blast weapons state that the defending player may remove casualties as a whole, not necessariily those under the template...."

First of all this rule ^^^^^^ is more unrealistic than flying pigs. The Template represents the blast radius and somehow models 5 inches away from the Template die?!?!

"....and this rule remains in effect with the exception of the model directly beneath the hole of the Template."

This Rule ^^^^^^^^^^ is completly unrealistic as well. With this I could target an enemy commander and kill him outright if I roll a "HIT" on the scater dice.

What are your views on this rule? Do you think it is fair?

W/T/L- 85 Billion/1/4

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Yes you can snipe with the 'lith.

IMO its entirely balanced since being an ordanance weapon it isn't going to get a hit (and thus snipe) anywhere near as often as say, a farseer will fail to use mindwar or a vindacre assassin will miss.

Fair? yes realistic? no

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Whitecow100 View Post
    I re-read the necron FAQ and I found this rule to be a largely unrealistic.

"...any model directly under the center of the Large Blast Template of the Particle whip takes an AP1 hit. The new rules for blast weapons state that the defending player may remove casualties as a whole, not necessariily those under the template...."

First of all this rule ^^^^^^ is more unrealistic than flying pigs. The Template represents the blast radius and somehow models 5 inches away from the Template die?!?!

"....and this rule remains in effect with the exception of the model directly beneath the hole of the Template."

This Rule ^^^^^^^^^^ is completly unrealistic as well. With this I could target an enemy commander and kill him outright if I roll a "HIT" on the scater dice.

What are your views on this rule? Do you think it is fair?
    Hmm.. the sniping does seem a little rough. While it can be used to pick out characters it doesn't mean you must. Just place the template to squash as many enemy as possible and if it happens to centre over a character then that's ok. It would be rude to target a character at the expense of the total number of enemy hit. I think the AP1 bit is there to make the whip extra nasty against vehicles.
    As for the blast template- I always imagined that the arc would lash through a unit like, well, an electric whip. The template is really just to show it affects more than one model and that 'bunched up' troops will be hit harder.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i kinda think all ordanace weapons should do it, it does make sence, essencialy the center is where the weapon strikes and it explodes killing all around it....i think it makes perfect sense. think of a shell exploding next to you as apose to ON YOU, same thing with a wave of super high powered energy...like an emp blast working its way out
    In the name of god impure souls of the living dead shal be banished into eturnal damnation. Amen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also thought that you could only remove casualties from those models that were hit. So if the template hit 5 guys and killed 3 and there were 8 guys in the unit you cant select someone that wasnt under the template as a casualty. Thats how we play anyway, IMO its more realistic that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is supposed to represent someone picking up their weapons and equipment. I reckon that the model under hole should die and you have to remove that model. Because getting hit derectly by a shell is gonna wreck you eqiupment and weapons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Necrons army
    W/L/D

0/2/1

Senior Member SendMoreParamedics's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People have grumbled about the character sniping aspect of the 'lith before, but it rarely happens. Its a short ranged weapon, and most of the time the character that is snipe bait ends up in combat if they're that close anyway. When they aren't in combat theres only a 1/3 chance the thing is going to hit (nevermind invulnerable saves and what not). Further, the 'lith can only shoot the thing if theres no squad to teleport/worth teleporting close-by (and lets face it, the main reason to bring a 'lith is for the teleporting/second WBB roll).

As to where the other casualities are taken from, its entirely realistic. The idea is that after the blast has killed off however many people, the survivors are going to run back into coherency (or into better coherency) and pick up any particularly useful wargear dropped by a (now deceased) comrade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SendMoreParamedics View Post
    As to where the other casualities are taken from, its entirely realistic. The idea is that after the blast has killed off however many people, the survivors are going to run back into coherency (or into better coherency) and pick up any particularly useful wargear dropped by a (now deceased) comrade.
    The models hit just got obliterated by some lightning cannon, I dont think that the weapons are tougher than the armor. This is also unrealistic in the fact that not everyone in an army has training with every weapon. I guess I may be going to far into this, but thats how I play it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can understand removing any model you like as a casualty when getting shot ny normal weapons or in combat (Kinda pushing it) but getting that rule for template weapons is kinda lame especially when it staes that the model under the hole takes extra damage
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Necrons army
    W/L/D

0/2/1

searching for sheep silentdeathz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x2)

It's maybe not the best way to have it, but it sure works.

The model under the hole should be killed outright imo, the models under the plate it makes sence that they would be hurt most, athough sharp pieces of metal and whatnot could just as easily kill anyone in the surroundig area.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast