Models Exiting a Monolith - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Models Exiting a Monolith

Just curious if anyone has actually measured out and tried cram 20 models into the exit area of a Monolith?

My friend who plays Necrons decided to make a small template that is the width of the portal plus 2" and is measured out 2" out from the portal. We tried to cram as many models as we could onto the template (and not go under the monolith) and we found we could only fit 17 warriors in there. The consequences of this discovery are pretty obvious (automatically loosing models if the squad is over 17 as per the rules on page 62 of the BG.

Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I field squads of ten-fifteen necrons, so no I have never tried to cram 20 models into a two inch semi-circle. Someone could do the math to find out exactly how many models could fit into that space though.

W/T/L- 85 Billion/1/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There doesnt appear to be a need to do the math. By the sounds of it, its already been done in the form of that template and placing the models on it. Looks like you dont wanna take more than 17 warriors through a monlith .... thank you for letting the community know about this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

126 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Exodus View Post
    There doesnt appear to be a need to do the math. By the sounds of it, its already been done in the form of that template and placing the models on it. Looks like you dont wanna take more than 17 warriors through a monlith .... thank you for letting the community know about this
    We did some squeazing and shuffling last night trying various "stacking patterns" and came up with a way to fit 18 on the template. The other thing we realized that people may do when placing their exiting warriors is sliding the bases a bit underneath the monolith.
    Tim Wright

-John Gilmore

searching for sheep silentdeathz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by magnet_man View Post
    We did some squeazing and shuffling last night trying various "stacking patterns" and came up with a way to fit 18 on the template. The other thing we realized that people may do when placing their exiting warriors is sliding the bases a bit underneath the monolith.
    Sounds to me like one of those things, your opponent either ignores the rule and lets you carry on, or you lose the models.

To be honest I don't think you should have units as big as 20 models anyway so you shouldn't have a problem.

Then again if you are using a mass warrior army then your in for a surprise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its not that likely that you will be using a monolith portal unless you have 17 or less models because you either use it when: You are losing in cc, or if you have recieved serious casualties and need the extra wbb. In either case you are likely to have less than 17 models. :yes:
    Oh come on, Sir! How was I meant to know the safety was off?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

126 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Mephitson View Post
    Its not that likely that you will be using a monolith portal unless you have 17 or less models because you either use it when: You are losing in cc, or if you have recieved serious casualties and need the extra wbb. In either case you are likely to have less than 17 models. :yes:
    or you have a squad of 20 warriors in reserve or you need to move a squad of 20 warriors into rapid fire range quickly, both of which happened recently in a game I played.
    Tim Wright

-John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never used a Monolith but I was under the impression that you would be able to place the models under the monolith as long as you are within 2' of the exit. The Monolith is after all a skimmer and does not block line of sight, so I always assumed that it must be up in the air. Shure the situation would not normally come up very often.

I have often seen eldar players unload their troops pretty much under the transport to fit between terrain and still get the unloaded troops as close as possable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

126 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by granty View Post
    I have never used a Monolith but I was under the impression that you would be able to place the models under the monolith as long as you are within 2' of the exit. The Monolith is after all a skimmer and does not block line of sight, so I always assumed that it must be up in the air. Shure the situation would not normally come up very often.

I have often seen eldar players unload their troops pretty much under the transport to fit between terrain and still get the unloaded troops as close as possable.
    If you're playing a friendly game this shouldn't matter. But in tournaments it's illegal to place models under a skimmer as per the rules for movement on page 15 of the BGB (second paragraph under Movement Distance sentence beginning with "A model may not...").

Another thing to look at is the disembarkation picture on page 62 of the BGB. Admittedly that's a normal tank transport and not a skimmer.
    Tim Wright

-John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well i think it was best said when someone mentioned that it's probably one of those rules that is ignored for a 20 Machine Necron unit. one could even surmise, although this would be mostly fluff style thinking, the portal could teleport them out. not only that, but the deploment is done b4 the move of the units so...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast