Whats the best to use vs Tau in 1000 pts? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats the best to use vs Tau in 1000 pts?

Heya,

I need to assemble a 1000pt force vs my mates Tau. He is very bad sportmanship when he wins and last week was very loud and abrupt at the people he beat - I've challenged him to a game and I need to win and put him in his place.

I have a very large Dark Eldar army but still fairly new to it; but I still have a big selection to choose from (around 2500points worth).

The only thing is, im wondering whats the best units to use.

The only things I am lacking is: tons of splinter cannons, tons of warrior (I only have about 50), Haemonclius, Talos and Grotuesques. Everything else I have plenty of.

Thing Is i cant decide either to use a WWP or Raider mounted army.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by toggle View Post
    Heya,

I need to assemble a 1000pt force vs my mates Tau. He is very bad sportmanship when he wins and last week was very loud and abrupt at the people he beat - I've challenged him to a game and I need to win and put him in his place.

I have a very large Dark Eldar army but still fairly new to it; but I still have a big selection to choose from (around 2500points worth).

The only thing is, im wondering whats the best units to use.

The only things I am lacking is: tons of splinter cannons, tons of warrior (I only have about 50), Haemonclius, Talos and Grotuesques. Everything else I have plenty of.

Thing Is i cant decide either to use a WWP or Raider mounted army.
    Hm.

Well, I'm no Dark Eldar expert, but I must say that a WWP army sounds... counter-productive. The Tau can blow your Warrior units away in less than 2 Turns if they concentrate their firepower, leaving your Reserves high-and-dry when it comes to arrival.

A Raider army sounds safer, though you're really going to have to watch out for those damn Smart Missiles, which can easily reach you when you're behind cover. If he has a large number of Warfish, you're in for a rough ride no matter what you take.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

(Off topic: Is anyone else having trouble with the quick reply button)

Firstly, what does your 'friend' use in his tau army, while it is not considered good sportsmanship to tailor your list specifically to defeat someone else, you asked for advice to beat him so it would be good to know what he is using and thus what you can use to counter it. You say either wwp or raider rush, but why not both? I mean me and lots of expericned dark eldar players use a webway portal army right, but with the raiders in the webway portals, kept safe, I wouldn't try a webway portal at all till at least 1000 and even then its pushing a bit, but a perfectly viable army plan, against tau and guard and only them is the army of shadows, it has the decapitator as an HQ, and 30 mandrakes for elites, the remaining army composition has to be made entirely of deepstriking or otherwise supprise attack or hidden units, scourges, raider squads with screaming jets, hellions, whatever, you can fit them with webway portals if you must to bring down other stuff. The usefullness of mandrakes against tau is great because they can't shoot them for 3 turns so you can quite possibly get to assault him without him ever getting to shoot you, the decapitator is kept hidden till the opportune moment where he can pounce on the most vunerable target and then the scourges come down and clean up the kroot and such.... I'm just saying very general things because I have no idea what your tau friend has. Dark lances are always good for taking out the tanks, but importantly, they instant kill battlesuits which is awesome, disintegrators clean up fire warriors and stealth suits. Wyches as always are great and in this case, so are fast assaut warrior squads.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(off topic - my quick reply isn't working either).

I thought you could only use the decapitator in 1500 point games? Plus I only have 10 mandrakes so can't be using that.

Just to put things into contex, I also disagree with tailored lists its just that I have a need for vengance for the other people. Thinking about it though it may be best to make a more freindly list incase i end up playing against someone else. I know he is very limited in what he uses as hes new to tau and so far only has the mega battle force giving him a total 1300 list.

In his 1000point list he usually uses a Hammerhead, Devilfish, 10x Firewarriors, 10x Firewarriors, 3x Pathfinders, 1 suit thing and 1 hq dude in a suit thing.

Im leaning towards using a raider army. If i place horrofexes on my raiders I can be pretty confident the firewarrior squads wont be shooting much of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I've never played against Tau, I guess you could/should use Hagashin in a Raider to get into CC with his Firewarriors. If you get close enough, I guess you can slaugther them without resistance. Maybe you also want to give them Haywire Grenades against to Devilfish and Hammerhead.
    Further I guess you should take as many Splinter Cannons as you've got; maybe you even want to upgrade some of your Raiders with Desintegrators.
    Although personally I really love an Archon with a strong Retinue you'd better leave them your Inccubi at home today; I don't think that they'll outperform against Tau. In your case I would neither use a Talos nor a WWP; better use your DL to kill his suits and DL/Haywire Grenade to kill vehicles.
    If you want to use Mandrakes I'd just use the minimum amount. It's not necessary for them to kill a squad, but they shall disturb your enemy and prevent him from shooting by geting into CC fast.
    Just my two cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uhm... Who is Hagashin?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I'm sorry Hagashin is the German translation for Wych. Although the word doesn't exist in German Games Workshop thought it would be fun to translate cool "Wyches" into stupid "Hagashin". While writing I sometimes forget that nobody here knows Hagashin :-)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

If you have enough wyches, I say go with a wych cult. Load them up in a few raiders, get some "Darklance Squads" (10 warriors w/ 2 DLs) and put them near the back in some cover. Maybe toss in a Lelith on a raider. Then whatever you have left just put out there as fodder to distract him. Maybe some bikes w/ blasters if you think your good with them, although on foot, DE are just as fast.
    ~ Rape the churches and burn the women!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I unfortunatly only have 20 Wytches so I doubt I have enough for a whych cult

Just a really quick question about Lelith. Can she only be used in army over 1500points and using her force org chart. Also - why take her? Isn't she pretty much a cheaper Archite if you include wargear?

And another question which I jsut thought of. With Chaos - if you take a independant character and he has a Deamon Sword (this is just an example, i dont play chaos so don't know the termonolgy of most wargear). Well, if the Independant Character had this "Daemon Sword" and they are also available from the armoury/wargear then you can also pay the points giving a HQ choice Lord one. Meaning two units in your army with the same weapon (in this example the "Daemon Sword").

Taking that example, would it be possible to have the shadow field equipped with Lelith as default as well as buying a shadow field for a Drachon?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

First, at 1,000 points, dont use the portal - stick with the rush. Its too expensive to use portals (which i always recommend that you have 2 of).

Quote Originally Posted by toggle View Post
    I unfortunatly only have 20 Wytches so I doubt I have enough for a whych cult
    Yes you can still have a Wych Cult by having two squads of 10 wyches - that would satisfy the minimum requirements. I would agree with EternalEther that wych cult would be better. I would tailor it like this:

Dracite punisher, t-helm, shadowfield, drugs, plasma, trophy and maybe animus vitae.
    9 wyches with succubus and raider (troop choice)
    9 wyches with succubus and raider (troop choice)
    10 warriors with 2 Darklances
    1 squad of 10 Mandrakes
    Ravager with all lances or 1 lance w/2 dissy's
    And with the remaining points try to get a warp beast squad (you might have to lower the wych squads a little to do it.

Just a really quick question about Lelith. Can she only be used in army over 1500points and using her force org chart. Also - why take her? Isn't she pretty much a cheaper Archite if you include wargear?
    Yes, 1500 points or more so forget about Lelith at 1,000

And another question which I jsut thought of. With Chaos - if you take a independant character and he has a Deamon Sword (this is just an example, i dont play chaos so don't know the termonolgy of most wargear). Well, if the Independant Character had this "Daemon Sword" and they are also available from the armoury/wargear then you can also pay the points giving a HQ choice Lord one. Meaning two units in your army with the same weapon (in this example the "Daemon Sword").
    Not sure about Chaos rules but I do not think there is any way of justifying 2 shadowfields in one DE army - dont use examples from other codices, it never works.

If you still want to go with a Kabal then I suggest this:

Dracon, punisher, t-helm, shadowfield, drugs, plasma, trophy and maybe animus vitae.
    9 wyches on a raider w/succubus, 2 blasters, plasma (put dracon here)
    10 Mandrakes
    10 warriors w/2 DL's
    10 warriors w/2 DL's or a raider squad
    5 warpbeasts w/master
    2 ravagers all with DL's or 1 DL with 2 dissy's

I strongly recommend Mandrakes against the Tau - drakes have always made it to their intended targets (FireWarriors) - once the drakes make it into their lines they will tear them up. Another good target is to tie up those pathfinders or engage them somehow to reduce the number of marker lights - perhaps this is a good target for the mandrakes.

Wyches (especially if they have the 12" charge) are a strong choice too thats why I suggest a wych cult - warp beasts are good also but use them as support (they are not too good by themselves if you dont kill enough on the charge).

Use the Dracon/Dracite, mandrakes and wyches against soft targets or anything with legs. Use the warrior squads, all raiders and ravagers to down the skimmers (hammerhead and devilfish) at all costs. I like to have all darklances so I can have 3 shots on a skimmer (since you can only glance if they moved more than 6"). The lances can then go for the HQ since it will probably have an invulrenable save and drugs - the lances will insta-kill those multi wound HQ's if they fail their inv. save.

I also like grotesques against tau but you indicated you didnt have any - I usually put my lord with a squad of grots on a raider and the grots act like a meatshield denying those strength 5 or less shots of rifles and carbines. In this squad, the lord can use the grots to get close and then separate from the grots using the 12" charge drug. The dracon or dracite alone can take a fire warrior squad or suit squad.

Pinning weapons are also useful against the Tau and especially against the Kroot - pin those pathfinders and that will help greatly. Horrorfex's are cheap on raiders and once the fish skimmers are neutralized you can go pinning leg units - that will drive him nuts!

Just some ideas - good luck and happy hunting!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast