Advanced XV8 suits & their uses. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advanced XV8 suits & their uses.

Just got the Tau Imperial Armour book... tis a great read! Recommend it to anyone with enough cash to fork out.

Specifically, I am wondering on peoples thoughts about the XV81, XV 84 & XV89 suits that can be equipped by only a commander and her bodyguard.

I shall start with the XV81. For the extra points cost, it seems quite nice as this configuration includes a smart missile system. With those ranges, along with the str, ap & rof this suits has worked wonders against nids a guard for me. As I knew I was facing nids and guard specifically I also took CIB (I know that idea is gonna make Rikimaru turn blue :rolleyes: ). The BS 2 with 9 shots ripped the utter crap out of the hoards attempting to get close enough to rip my Firewarriors Appart.

The XV84 seems like a slight waste for me. I can see the uses of a markerlight on a battlesuit, but without Advanced Stabilization, it cannot move and fire it. since AS takes up a hardpoint, that further means less weapons to attach.

The XV89 however seems to be quite powerful in increase in save it provides, but there is one thing im not sure about this suit... it does not mention any restriction on how many you can take in your army so I presume you could give it to both commanders. The cost however is the same (I think as I dont have the book here with me at work) as Irridium armour. My further thoughts on this is it could make a really effective front line commander squad that consists of Shas'el/o in any suit with irridium + 2 Bodyguard XV89's. They could all then be given Shield Generators with with Plasma/Fusion, dropped in and start smashing MEQ's & Vehicles to pieces. Even better if the other commander has a Possitional Relay and you Drop them in sight of a Devilfish behind the enemy lines...

Just some ideas. I have only play tested the XV81 idea and it worked nicely for me.

Your thoughts please?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mystweaver View Post
    Just got the Tau Imperial Armour book... tis a great read! Recommend it to anyone with enough cash to fork out.

Specifically, I am wondering on peoples thoughts about the XV81, XV 84 & XV89 suits that can be equipped by only a commander and her bodyguard.

I shall start with the XV81. For the extra points cost, it seems quite nice as this configuration includes a smart missile system. With those ranges, along with the str, ap & rof this suits has worked wonders against nids a guard for me. As I knew I was facing nids and guard specifically I also took CIB (I know that idea is gonna make Rikimaru turn blue :rolleyes: ). The BS 2 with 9 shots ripped the utter crap out of the hoards attempting to get close enough to rip my Firewarriors Appart.

The XV84 seems like a slight waste for me. I can see the uses of a markerlight on a battlesuit, but without Advanced Stabilization, it cannot move and fire it. since AS takes up a hardpoint, that further means less weapons to attach.

The XV89 however seems to be quite powerful in increase in save it provides, but there is one thing im not sure about this suit... it does not mention any restriction on how many you can take in your army so I presume you could give it to both commanders. The cost however is the same (I think as I dont have the book here with me at work) as Irridium armour. My further thoughts on this is it could make a really effective front line commander squad that consists of Shas'el/o in any suit with irridium + 2 Bodyguard XV89's. They could all then be given Shield Generators with with Plasma/Fusion, dropped in and start smashing MEQ's & Vehicles to pieces. Even better if the other commander has a Possitional Relay and you Drop them in sight of a Devilfish behind the enemy lines...

Just some ideas. I have only play tested the XV81 idea and it worked nicely for me.

Your thoughts please?
    Turning blue as we speak dude, :yes:, I unfortunatley have not got the funds to buy the book and I am curious about the advanced XV, are they forge world approved and can the rules for these suits be obtained (legaly I add) any where else.
    The XV89 sounds good, they sound like an effective MEQ counter unit, but a very expensive one and would they be effective against other types of list.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The XV89, as far as I know is the inspiration for, and the same as, iridium armor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Prometheus View Post
    The XV89, as far as I know is the inspiration for, and the same as, iridium armor.
    That is correct... its like the Tau have in the Imperial Armour book developed Irridum armour into a elite suit configuration.

Unfortunately no, you cannot obtain these rules without the book. Might be something to ask for Christmas (yes it is almost here again gawd dawn it!) :cry:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mystweaver View Post
    That is correct... its like the Tau have in the Imperial Armour book developed Irridum armour into a elite suit configuration.

Unfortunately no, you cannot obtain these rules without the book. Might be something to ask for Christmas (yes it is almost here again gawd dawn it!) :cry:
    Unfortunately I am the christmas pressie buyer, I have two kids ones birthday is the 23 December the others is 12 January, and christmas sandwiched nicely in between I have no money left for my self dude, pity I would have liked to have seen those rules, I like the look of the Forge world suits (even thuogh they are hard to paint well)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    Unfortunately I am the christmas pressie buyer, I have two kids ones birthday is the 23 December the others is 12 January, and christmas sandwiched nicely in between I have no money left for my self dude, pity I would have liked to have seen those rules, I like the look of the Forge world suits (even thuogh they are hard to paint well)
    That is some unlucky birthdays! Maybe get a loan? :wacko: lol
    I think I'm gonna get a XV81 when my next pay cheque comes through but thats as far as my investment will go.

Another incentive to get the book by whatever means possible is the extra weapon configurations for the Hammerhead. i.e. The Fusion blaster config is basically a blast weapon multi-melta... nasty stuff, and of course, is the railgun remains the most expensive weapon to put on it.

Yet to play test it though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

What about good ol Shas'0'Rymrs battlesuit. Must admit I like it as the fletchette dischargers gives opponents (escpecially Orks and Nids) something to think about before charging and he has some nice range on his plasma, only real drawback is that he has a drone controller, so you gotta buy at least on drone.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mmm the Taros Campaign Book was a wonderful read. I too enjoyed teh tau suits and tactics displayed in there for story purposes.

What you could try to do is find a copy of the Suits rules online, not saying look for an illigal PDF but maybe GW printed the rules up before they printed the book. If that's the case then get that. Kinda like how you need to print off the rules for Old One Eye and the Red Terror now if you are a new Nid player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

The rules were originally on the Forgeworld website as trial rules. They were then removed when Imperial Armour 3 was released.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so there you go. Maybe some on still has the rules that they downloaded from the uk site that they could share with those that need them?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast