Warrior-heavy Swarms? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warrior-heavy Swarms?

Yay! First post.

Ok, I've played a few games of 40k with 'Nids now, and I feel ready to start working on building my own army. (I've been using my local bunker's display army, and a few friends at the bunker have let me play with their armies in the past.)

I am currently considering a CC army list that is Warrior heavy, with hormagaunts and maybe two units of 'stealers. I doubt that the bunker I play at, or the opponents I usually play, will mind me proxying my army so I can work the kinks out until I have the models I need for it finished.

Before I start working on modeling my first warriors, I wanted to ask the rest of the Hive Mind about how many warriors a 1000-2000pt army needs to keep synapse control accross the varied gaunts, and how many units to deploy them in. My original, and likely a bit overboard, idea was to have 8 units (2 HQ, 3 Elite, 3 FA) of 9 Warriors each, but I doubt that's going to fit in anything less than 2000pts.

Having played mostly against SMurfs, (Battle for Macragge and Space Hulk, anyone?) I'm wondering how feasable such a swarm would be against other armies, particularly against other 'Nds, IG, Tau, Ork, Chaos, and Necrons, as they all seem rather popular where I live. (There are only 2 SMurf players that come to the bunker.) I dont see much of the other armies, but I see a LOT of Ork, Chaos, and Necron armies, with at least 6 different players of each, probably about 4 players that are playing Tau or IG, and exactly three other dedicated 'Nid players, though they dont come in often.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

well 8 squads of nine warriors runs over two thousand points, for good synapse 1k-2k three squads of warriors running squads of three and some zoanthropes work well, imo. as far as some of the opponents go, i've only gone against necrons, daemonhunters, smurfs and results, necrons dont have many strategies, so i can beat the necrons with my warriors, daemonhunter player uses a basilisk, so haven't beat him yet and smurfs, you just need enough models to get your warriors safely across the field to his troops, use lictors to take out his tanks and dreadnoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

Theres not alot of advice i can really offer you here except to pull you up on something you mentioned about your list being CC.
    While devistating in the right hands a completely cc army will have trouble with tanks, skimmers and other fast units as they simply wont have enough speed to get into CC.
    Another thing to think of is that a unit of 9 warriors is just as easily wiped out as a unit of 5. So try not to over price your warriors as this may prove a problem.

My advice would be units of 3-5 warriors a gunfex or two for the tanks/skimmers and LOTS of stealers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by macewind View Post
    Theres not alot of advice i can really offer you here except to pull you up on something you mentioned about your list being CC.
    While devistating in the right hands a completely cc army will have trouble with tanks, skimmers and other fast units as they simply wont have enough speed to get into CC.
    Another thing to think of is that a unit of 9 warriors is just as easily wiped out as a unit of 5. So try not to over price your warriors as this may prove a problem.

My advice would be units of 3-5 warriors a gunfex or two for the tanks/skimmers and LOTS of stealers.
    Thanks for the reminder about the need to get into CC quickly. I'd also been wondering about what number of warriors to a brood seemed to others to be the most efficient in performance and points. When I first had the idea of fielding 72 Warriors, it was more for the shock value that having that many of them on the table would produce. I doubt I'd ever have enough of them to do it anyways, at USD$35 plus tax for 3...

I'm going to post my new idea in the Army List section now, since it'd probably get moved there from here anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zoanies, while slow are a good synapse creature to have as they almost require an ap2 weapon to cause them harm.... also if given warp blast can be deady to SM's.

But IMO the best synapse coverage for a CC army is a winged DevTyrant.... or a John Woo Tyrant as I like to call it... Now mind you it isn't quite the close combat monster that a winged tyrant with 2X Schything tallons could be but you will still get 4 CC attacks on the charge...but with 2x Twin-linked devourers you get 12 strength 5 shots that reroll misses and wounds as you prepare to assault....and since most troops you face will be T4 you will wound on 3's.... I have taken down full speeder squadrons before in one round of shooting as you glance on 5's and 6's.... now I will admit that some of that is luck, but even at a 33 percent chance i like the odds.

IMO Warriors are just too fragile to be the mainstay of an army. Necron Immortals and Destroyers will turn a warrior list into (insert the color scheme of your 'Nids here) goo!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger2005 View Post
    IMO Warriors are just too fragile to be the mainstay of an army. Necron Immortals and Destroyers will turn a warrior list into (insert the color scheme of your 'Nids here) goo!!
    I have to agree. All your opponents have to do is buy lots of AP 4 weapons, (heavy bolters, assault cannons, heavy destroyers etc.) and you are history.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

For brood size, I would keep them in as many of the smallest broods possible. So, groups of 3. Because of their ridiculous costs, and because they are really fragile to AP4 weapons, I wouldn't max out on them. They fill a gap nicely between the TMC's and the swarmy bugs but I don't think they would operate well if they weren't hiding in the rest of the army's shadow.
    Besides, you need the ther HQ slot for your tooled up, custom winged tyrant! :yes:
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually just now thinking about it..........and since I have never run with warriors in any of my lists so I don't normally think about using them ... but here is an interesting use for some warriors.....keep them in reserve (if game allows) and kit them to be winged CC warriors.... wouldn't that make your opponent think twice about where he DS's those assault squads and the like!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or, you could have walking ST/RC warriors in th eback, and because of slow movement, if anyone deepstrikes, they hit warriors instead of sometihng like a thrope or gunfex which can't as easily defend itself.
    Nids - 1150 pts (I'm poor, dont laugh)

im too 'fexy
    im too 'fexy
    im too 'fexy for my carapace, too fexy for my carapace . . .

"Don't lie to me, Tyler! You know where liars go . . . . . they're elected President!!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only problem with that strategy is that if they dont DS anything then you have over 100pts of stuff doing absolutely nothing.
    Tyranids: 4000
    Tau: 725

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast