My stupid friend - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My stupid friend

I learned today that my friend play 40k and play tau but of course his army of kroot 1 Railhead, 2 broadside, 40 fire warriors can beat my necrons and my tyranids in two turns he says... how can I cure him having never played against tau before he says he can kill 144 homogant/spineguant in two turns along with "Railgun instant killable" 2 carnifexes, 1 Hive Tyrant and 6 Warriors before I can get into assault on his terrainless 72" *kitchen* table that he wants to play on and only that one.

And also my Necron army sucks of course my monoliths doesn't have enough "wounds" to survive 1 turn with his 3 railguns that could kill 3 monolith per turn *he said 1 railgun kills 1 monolith per turn* and his 40 fire warriors can kill 80 necron wariors with his rapid-fire at "15 inches" because I have *barely any chance of passing eaither my armour save or my WWB* And my destroyerwould all "die from his rail gun killnig one and gonig trough and killing the other along with my T6 Save 3=/4++ and WWB with suposite instant kill without invul save nor WWB even tho I have my res orb"...

So I guess I'm Doomed unless we play on a 72" 48" board with 24" between us like we should do with vehicles with no wounds and all that crap...

So how do I cure him?

TheEndIsNear

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, Necrons kill Tau, a lot. If both players are competent, the necron will basically insta-win, cuz we don't have enough Str 8 weapons, and no powerweapons.

Just get in CC. Take no Monliths, those are his best hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

I'm rather confused by all this. All I can say is your friend doesn't know the rules. Firewarriors are 12" rapid fire still, and railguns can't insta-kill most tyranid elite units due to their high toughness. If it's just one guy, get another friend who knows the rules and try to talk some sense into him.

Rail guns blowing through one unit and hitting another also? Hilarious.
    Last edited by mephistophales; October 18th, 2006 at 22:07.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Well, first, 25% of the map is supposed to have terrain on it and with Tau's massive firepower, that favors him.

You should play games on the short side (or shorten the battlezone). It's unfair to fight a shooty army in terrainless, 72" (six feet). Keep in mind most tyranid MCs move 6" and have a grand total of 36" as their LONGEST range. Which means, probably, four turns of WALKING in order to fire a your first shot. Also, the only synapse that could keep up are a winged tyrant (which could die on turn 2) and winged warriors (even worse). Which means all those gaunts will fall back to your six inch movers.

Also, theoretically, even with FoC (averaging 9-10 inches a turn), you couldn't even make it into close combat in six turns.

And, after rereading your post, I see that you are playing on the short end table, lol. Clean up your post, man!

As to how to cure him, I believe the first step would be to smack him over the head with the rulebook (hard back, of course) in the hopes of him absorbing some of the rules through osmosis.

Secondly, smash him into paste. Hormagaunts loooooove firewarriors (and what points does he play at, 2500!?).

Drop S8 barbed strangler shots on his crisis suits to insta-kill them. Swarm his broadsides with genestealers (also, tell him, he can't make submunition shots with broadsides). Drop warrior barbed strangler shots on his firewarrior and stealthsuits and pin them.

Swarm him. Put the fear of god into him as he realizes "there's no way I can kill all those models in three turns".

Oh, and turn two assaults. Use hormies and scuttling genestealers and spinies.

Oh, and if you do play with cover, don't let him take all woods/jungles (watch those kroot squirm)
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Or alternatively with Necrons, just take two groups of warriors and then load up on Immortals. Tau hate necrons in general, and Immortals with their 24 inch assault 2 range is deadly. They'll eat firewarriors for breakfast, and chew through even the heaviest armor.

Also, the Monolith is not as vulnerable as you'd think. It all depends on the dice; a lucky seeker missile could theoretically kill it, but I've spent seven turns firing three Broadsides at it a turn with almost no effect. Remember, it's particle whip and teleport abilities can be used even if the thing is shaken or stunned.

If you really want to be nasty and the game is big enough, take two warrior units of ten, a lord, and then hold 20 warriors and a Monolith in reserve. Force your friend to play with Deepstrike rules. Deep strike the monolith, and with a bit of luck you'll drop down and then blam, twenty warriors on express delivery. It's a fearsome force. Or just go with ol' Immortal hop, using the lord's Veil of Darkness and a team of immortals to hop, skip, and jump around the board. Be careful with this though, a bad roll could cost you dearly. There is also the Flayed One/Monolith combo. You charge them into combat one turn, then the next turn teleport them out of combat and charge again. You can do this with any unit, substituting charging for rapid-firing.

Destroyers are buggers to pick off in large groups.

Oh, and if you feel like Tyranids; Get a couple Carnifexes and tool them out for ranged combat. Str10 and improved toughness/save/BS and all that other good stuff you can do then put a couple of Venom Cannons on them. Suffice to say, Str10 shots en masse are deadly whether or not they can penetrate or not.

Necrons are the anti-Tau, and Tyranids are pretty dang up there in the close combat department. Don't let his bragging get to you, just stay calm. He'll definitely be making mistakes. And if he continues to be a jerk about it, hit him over the head with the hardback rulebook as stated above. Right after reciting it to him. Works every time.

And remember, the Monolith can hide behind size 3 terrain, no matter how much taller it is!

-Professorcurly-
    "My capacity for hard work is immense. It's my willingness to do said work that's lacking..."

Fluffmaster Clan Member

Shas'El A'ava Mont'Ein D'ran O'Kroot - Tau Fluff HERE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curly and Atma are correct. just get the good stuff going.

One thing you can do is take your lord (Necrons) with VoD, and one of teh necron units, such as 20 warriors, or better yet, 10 immortals, and Warp them forward. once you are close enough to either rapid fire on the tau Firewarriors or Assult with your Immortals, waltz on in and decimate his front lines. Destroyers and Heavy destroyers plus Wraiths move a great deal across the board and they too can close in quickly. you start out at 12 inches, move 24 in your first and second turns and you've gone 36 inches each. Remember his range is 30 inches for the Pulse Rifle so all he's got to hit you is his hammer head's submunition rounds and his two XV88's TL Rail Gun. 3 Shots cannot take out your armies in 2 turns. Also do the Monolith Deep Striking in and you can deploy your troops real close.

Nids are a little different, just don't stay bunched up. you'll suffer more losses but As Atma said, swrm him. With a lil more from me.. Swarm him like teher is no tomorrow. Tau are good shooty with thier range, but get in close and waltz in thier corpses. once you do that they should getthe idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x1)

Now, is it really all that nice to go around calling your friends 'stupid'?
    Last edited by JOHIRA; October 19th, 2006 at 00:13.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it depends as to how long they have known each other. I mean a guy you grew up with, have been friends with since say, Kindergarten is fair game to call names. After all they do it right back to you and then you hit them with a flaming bag of crap on thier front porch then they retaliate etc...

alls fair in love and war etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x3)

You guys are kind of missing something, there's no way he can beat him with his friend so blatantly cheating. "Railgun instant killable" 2 carnifexes, 1 Hive Tyrant"- These cannot be instant killed by shooting, their toughness is too high.

"And my destroyerwould all "die from his rail gun killnig one and gonig trough and killing the other along with my T6 Save 3=/4++ and WWB with suposite instant kill without invul save nor WWB even tho I have my res orb"..." - A railgun cannot negate WBB if a res orb is around, it doesn't ignore invulnerables, and it doesn't run through multiple units with one shot.

He can't win.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know all off this but he says I'm cheating cause the "railgun can't instant kill a carnifex nor a destroyer lord with res orb and phase shifter without any roll" sound like cheating "becasue the railgun is so strong it instant kills anything without toughness 10 or sumthnig like that and kill all vehicles with no wounds".... but you were right guy that i forgot his name... we play on the short table edge so it means I have to cross 72" but i start 12" forward so yeah i lose...

TheEndIsNear

BTW: HAPPY B-DAY ME!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast