fortune in combat - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fortune in combat

hi guys. i just stoped by from the chaos secton to ask a quick question. in a recent game i played with a friend he had a farseer on a jetbike with some other equipment that got charged by an entire squad of ccw chaos marines.

i was just wondering if it is possible for him to cast fortune while he is engaged in close combat. because combined with fortune and his 3+ invounable (i didnt think there was that low of an invounable) i couldnt touch him for 4 rounds till the game ended.

now it was a friendly game so i didnt realy mind, but we both wanted to know just for future refrence.

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi there,

Just had a check of the latest codex. There is no specific phase mentioned for fortune power and the main rules specify that all "psychic powers are subject to shooting rules if not specified" or words to that effect. Hence fortune should be cast in the shouting phase and not the assault phase. Further more, models in close combat cant shot so I would think he wouldnt be able to use this power when in close combat. Hope that helps

Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanest View Post
    hi guys. i just stoped by from the chaos secton to ask a quick question. in a recent game i played with a friend he had a farseer on a jetbike with some other equipment that got charged by an entire squad of ccw chaos marines.

i was just wondering if it is possible for him to cast fortune while he is engaged in close combat. because combined with fortune and his 3+ invounable (i didnt think there was that low of an invounable) i couldnt touch him for 4 rounds till the game ended.

now it was a friendly game so i didnt realy mind, but we both wanted to know just for future refrence.

thanks!
    That's one relief

Be thankfull you're not facing witch hunters, where invulnerable saves are a matter of fact, including the mighty cannoness with her 2+ invulnerable. heh heh heh.

Or a Dark Archon with his 2+ invulnerable.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by sharkimus View Post
    hi there,

Just had a check of the latest codex. There is no specific phase mentioned for fortune power and the main rules specify that all "psychic powers are subject to shooting rules if not specified" or words to that effect. Hence fortune should be cast in the shouting phase and not the assault phase. Further more, models in close combat cant shot so I would think he wouldnt be able to use this power when in close combat. Hope that helps

Mark
    To be fair to the OP's opponent, there is a little gray area. The Eldar FAQ just says that you cant use mind war in base contact as "it is used instead of firing a weapon". The same is true for Eldritch Storm, though the FAQ fails to specifically mention it. However Guide and Fortune aren't used instead of shooting and the FAQ says nothing about them. Hopefully the new Codex spells it out in big clear letters what you can or can't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, the current faq says that you are allowed to use fortune in cc. Go Eldar!
    "The battlefield is a scene of constant chaos. The winner will be the one who controls that chaos, both his own and the enemies." -Napoleon Bonaparte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there,

I've just had a more thorough read of the powers in the new codex and it states that all farseer powers are used at the start of the eldar turn unless stated, and its not stated for fortune.

I also think the new codex superceeds the FAQ but I could be wrong.

Regards, Mark

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by sharkimus View Post
    I also think the new codex superceeds the FAQ but I could be wrong.
    Only when the new codex is actually available to the public en masse..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    Only when the new codex is actually available to the public en masse..
    Fair comment If your feeling generous you could by your opponent a new codex so he can't gain a 3+ invunerable save with a reroll

Regards, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes... the new codex... then the killing will truely begin.... muwhahahahaha....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

You never could get a 3+ invunerable, unless you turboboosted, but then its quite unlikely he would have gotten charged, but farseers only have a 4+ invunerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast