New Codex: Ulthwe Nerfed? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

New Codex: Ulthwe Nerfed?

OK, finally got my paws on the new Codex today.

Firstly I think there are some good things in it:

Dire Avengers get to be worth having it seems which fits with them being the most numerous Aspect.

The end of the "random shot" syndrome from the most advanced weapons in the Galaxy.

Secondly I think there are some things that probably I don't like, but I can see why they did them:

Starcannons - I guess it's a play balance thing.

However my big complaint is the lack of Black Guardians, partly because they're what I like (ho hum!), but more importantly because it doesn't fit the fluff that GW are still pushing in this Codex.

Yes, Guardians are the "militia" by and large, and only supplement the Aspect Warriors.

However Ulthwe "maintains a standing army of Guardians having few aspect warriors".

Well clearly a "standing army" is not the same as a "militia" called up in a crisis which was what justified the BS4 etc.

So if you want a historically correct Ulthwe army you take a load of guardians all of whom are BS3, but cheap - so you end with the Eldar/Imperial Guard - or you bite the bullet and fill the ranks with non-historical Aspect warriors?

I'm guessing the easy way to do this would be to have two new entries in the elites section?

Black Guardians as for Regular Guardians but BS4 @10pts?

Storm Guardians as for regular Storm Guardians but WS4 @10pts with grenades?

Anyone else got any ideas?

Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

Maybe.

Yeah, I'm kindof disappointed with the disappearence of Black Guardians, but meh.

Basically, the only way to play ulthwe as it once was is to take Massed Guardians, 20 per squad. And only take as many Aspect Warrior squads as you have Guardian squads.

As far as a seer council goes, have two farseers, and full squads of Warlocks, and just operate them next together.

Keep it real, man. Ulthwe FTW!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know what you guys are talking about, but GW whanted a blanced list. i relly liked the BG and the SC but they just felt you could always make a list like the one Adrian MalSeraph suggested. i think they should have left the craftworld lists as they were or with slight adjusments instead, but GW is GW.
    THey might always release another Caftworld Eldar later on. be optimistic
    Zoe: Doesn't the bible say something specific about killing?
    Preacher: Yes, but it's somewhat fuzzy on the subject of kneecaps.
    -Firefly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by The Possesed One View Post
    ..but GW is GW.
    THey might always release another Caftworld Eldar later on. be optimistic
    Possibly to co-incide with a new figure range following the return to life of Eldrad (he said cynically )

Meanwhile I had a bash at an army list in the forum

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t-comment.html

see what you think?
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by vorlon View Post
    Yes, Guardians are the "militia" by and large, and only supplement the Aspect Warriors.

However Ulthwe "maintains a standing army of Guardians having few aspect warriors".

Well clearly a "standing army" is not the same as a "militia" called up in a crisis which was what justified the BS4 etc.
    Republican Roman Legions were Militia who conquered more territory than the Professional Imperial Legions against tougher opponents, like the Carthaginians and the Successor states.
    The Saxon Fyrd were Militia who regularly beat Viking raiders.
    The American forces during the War of Independance were mostly Militia.

Militia does not mean inferior. The Black Guardians only got better Stats in the Craftworld Codex, despite being in 2nd edition. Yes, Ulthwe changed a LOT and you have a genuine gripe. But not because the Black Guardians are back down to BS/WS 3.

Proud banner bearer of LO Codicier_Valkus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont know if they have the Warlock power 'Enhance' in the new codex, but take a Warlock with that power and a witchbalde, and your Storm Guardians will become alot harder in close combat. :yes:
    "Fight for justice, not revenge."
    FoW Gepanzerte Panzergrenadiers who took a wrong turn at Tunisia and magically appeared in Normandy as Panzer Lehr: Wins: 11 Losses: 8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I'm still going to theme my Army Ulthwe still - I got enough BG head sprues back in EoT. I like the plume&rune better than the Dire trooper Mohawk. Heck, I think the plume would go well with the cavalry feel of Shining Spears.

I wish that the New Dires were an exarch gear, heads, special shurikats, and targeter sprue in the Guardian box - it would make it much easier and cheaper to convert my old Guardians. Typical GW. As it is, I might end up using some of my guardians to make better Jetbike riders, or to whip up some shining spears using some fantasy bits. I dislike the fact that the bike riders still have the 2nd ed. Klansman eldar helmets, and miserable pose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowglacht View Post
    Republican Roman Legions were Militia who conquered more territory than the Professional Imperial Legions against tougher opponents, like the Carthaginians and the Successor states.
    The Saxon Fyrd were Militia who regularly beat Viking raiders.
    The American forces during the War of Independance were mostly Militia.

Militia does not mean inferior. The Black Guardians only got better Stats in the Craftworld Codex, despite being in 2nd edition. Yes, Ulthwe changed a LOT and you have a genuine gripe. But not because the Black Guardians are back down to BS/WS 3.
    Well that's getting off topic with a vegeance!

But Republican Roman Legions were not militia - they were called up and trained and during the Punic Wars and after served for many years in continuous service iirc. Moreover the fate of genuinely militia legions in the Servile wars stands in stark contrast to Crassus' men.

I don't know about regularly beat Viking raiders - we lost over half the country! - it was the select fyrd - not the greater fyrd - which was the trick (allied with the huscarles) - again troops under arms for a considerable period of time.

The american forces that succeeded were not militia - but Von Stueben's Continental Regulars again iirc.

By most definitions "Militia" implies second line, part-time troops, quite possibly without benefit of formal training, drill or equipment. By it's own internal logic GW has stated Ulthwe maintains a large standing army of Guardians.

But hey it's game after all so who really cares LOL!

Anyway I expect future corrections will occur - no doubt linked to new models

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

How was it off topic? You said they deserve better stats because they are not a militia. I was making the point that militia is not the same as sucking. Now we can disagree about the quality of certain historic forces, but there is no way it is "off-topic with a vengence".

As for Republican Romans. The legions were formed for one campaign year at a time, out of those citizens rich enough to be levied. At the end of that campaign it was disbanded and a new one, formed from scratch the next year. Exceptions were made occasionaly during the Punic Wars because the need was great, but the system itself was not changed until near the end of the Republic. They were not proffesional soldiers, they were not a standing army, they were Militia.

I don't know about regularly beat Viking raiders - we lost over half the country! - it was the select fyrd - not the greater fyrd - which was the trick (allied with the huscarles) - again troops under arms for a considerable period of time.
    You lost more than half the country. At one stage, you just had some swampland in Wessex. And it was the general fyrds of Somerset, Wiltshire and Hampshire that saved Alfed and Wessex, not the Huscarls and Select Fyrd who had been beaten already.

About the Continentals and militias in the US war of independance, I will have to bow to your greater knowledge. I know little about that war. But I do know the Irish units that one the Irish war of independance were anything but regular.

Further arguement along these lines would be off-topic I agree. So we can agree to disagree. But just because I don't agree with you does not mean I'm off topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Further arguement along these lines would be off-topic I agree. So we can agree to disagree. But just because I don't agree with you does not mean I'm off topic.
    Whoa - who's arguing? - it ain't anything to take so personally!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast