Deciding on Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deciding on Army

Well, I've read up a good deal on all the armies out there and I've come to the conclusion that I want to play a fast attack army, preferrably with a lot of shots and a lot of skimmers. I currently play a Chaos army, with a focus on Slaanesh so I guess you can say I have a medium-range, slow but assault oriented army. I wouldn't mind going for an assault army again, but I do know that I want an army with a lot of speed and mobility. From what I have read Ravenwing SM, Tau, Eldar, and Dark Eldar are the places to go for that kind of army. My friend already plays Ravenwing and Eldar is out of the question since another friend called dibs on that one, so the choice is between Dark Eldar and Tau.

I like the mobility that Tau have, and I think going with a lot of skimmers a la Devilfishes and Hammerheads would be great fun, but I have concerns that eventually my units will be caught up to and destroyed. The Tau are ridiculously weak in close combat, but their ranged weapons seem to make up for it. So am I correct in saying that the Tau are a fast force but one that can only shoot at the enemy?

As for Dark Eldar, they seem to be split between the two. They are beyond fast but they seem to focus more on assault and CC while their cousins focus on speed and shooting. I have seen a few lists where the DE are shooty instead of cc oriented, but the amount of fire power they have seems to be less than that of Tau or Eldar. They also seem to have super weak units, whereas most Eldar have 3+/4+ saves and some have MEQ statlines. Dark Eldar are lucky to have a 5+ and seem very fragile for an assaulting army. Combine that with the fact that the Codex is very outdated and I have a tough choice.

I like the fluff for both armies, although I do like the robot models more than the evil pointy heads, but my main concerns are playability. I like to be effective in any game I play, and as long as it is fast I wouldn't mind playing my army as pure shooty or pure assault... since my other army, Chaos, can do either very well. Also, from what I have read both of these armies are difficult to play and very fragile... one false move and thats the game.

Anyway, I was hoping some of the more experienced players might be able to sum up how each army plays and the tactics that involved. I also am curious as to how they do against other armies... my main opponents are Space Marines, Necrons, Tyranids, and soon to be Eldar. I have read the FAQs and tons of the Tactica, but I just don't know too much about the Tau on a basic level to really grasp the deployment and tactics involved. At any rate, all I know is I want something different than Chaos that is tactically sound but a challenge... an army that can win versus any opponent given the right strategy. Fast attack and mobility seem to be the deciding factor in a lot of fights, and Tau/DE seem to fit this category perfectly. Thank you very much, I look forward to finally making up my mind on a second army.

Last edited by EcchuBlessu; October 26th, 2006 at 05:16.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

First I would suggest reading the following thread if you haven't alreayd:
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...et-thread.html

Then, read through the stickies and posts of each board.

I like the mobility that Tau have, and I think going with a lot of skimmers a la Devilfishes and Hammerheads would be great fun, but I have concerns that eventually my units will be caught up to and destroyed. The Tau are ridiculously weak in close combat, but their ranged weapons seem to make up for it. So am I correct in saying that the Tau are a fast force but one that can only shoot at the enemy?
    Tau are a very mobile, shooting force. I'd consider Ravenwing and Tau to be the most powerful shooting, mobile forces of all the 40k armies. You are correct in Tau pretty much suck in close combat, but we have things in getting around that.

One example of this would be the Fish of Fury tactic. I posted a tactica/discussion thread just today. Here's the link: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...iscussion.html

With Tau's great mobility, we can stay out of close combat. Battlesuits have jump packs which are very mobile, and have the JSJ movement, which lets them move forward or out of cover, shoot, and then hide again, or move back out of the enemies shooting or assault range.

Some Tau generals use Kroot to help with close combat, or as speed bumps. A lot of the times they infiltrate them which makes it so the enemy can't infiltrate in the general area, and often forces infiltrating close combat foes further away from your army. They can also act as a counter charge unit, or to act as a speed bump, delaying the enemies close combat squads. A really good Kroot tactica can be found here: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t-tactica.html

Dark Eldar tend to be more close combat oriented, but still can make great firepower armies. I believe all Dark Eldar armies should have at least some close combat component, however.

Both armies are very mobile, and can be hard to control. Both also require tactics. You can't just stick models on the battlefield, and expect them to pay for themselves. Dark Eldar tend to be a more rare army, then Tau Empire. Tau recently got a new codex, and Dark Eldar will soon get one. I'm thinking sometime late 2007 or in 2008 but that's just a guess.

Goodluck on your decision!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau have several things going for them.
    - Best tank in the game
    - The best tank weapon option too, [cough..railgun..cough]
    - A very good transport
    - A long range, high strength basic infantry rifle
    - The ability to jsj with jet pack units
    - A good aux. option in Kroot, if used properly
    - A dizzying array of firepower
    - Terrific movement capability

But, they also have things that can hinder them.
    - Except Kroot, broadsides or drones are the h2h units. Ha!
    - Being caught in h2h will end the day for any unit.

I'm sure there are more but I can't come up with any right now.

As a Tau player I have fought against DE several times and slaughtered them each time. They are weak against shooting, strong in h2h. I usually have all the transports and gunships on the ground and burning by turn two. Their strength lies in h2h, getting there fast and doing as much damage as they can the first round of combat and hoping it's enough to break the unit they charged. Their vehicles have poor AV and are open topped, but they are skimmers. By playing mech style, I'm able to keep my FW bottled up and out of harms way until the transports are gone.

Hope this helps a little.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a cave underneath the great mountains gaurding a treassure you'll never find
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

I'll say that you can't really compare Tau and DE since they a very different in play style. Yes they are both mobile and so but Tau are not mobile in a attacking way more in a defensive way since we don not want to get close to the enemy.

DE on the other hand only uses their mobility and speed to get into cc asap. I don't really know that much about them but they can be very nasty also in shooting but their main advantage is their speed and cc skills.

Of these two Tau have the best firepower on all spots, but our lack of durability in cc makes us vulnerable to DS and infiltrators

If you wants a fast, mobile attacking force haven't you considered playing eldar and using craftworld Siam-Hann- They take fast attacks as troop choices which can give you an awful lots of vypers
    Dragons do flame.... but only when they are upset or they want to

According to new signature rules my hydra (the only reason for it to be here was to please Caluin) have been removed. But still dragons pwnz hydras anytime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes

Eldar would be my first choice but as I mentioned above one of my friends is going to do that army, and since we are all friends and play against each other the most it doesn't make sense to have an eldar vs eldar fight. Plus, i'm sure a ton of people will be playing them shortly and I like being the underdog/different than the norm... people never suspect the underdog...

+ Reply to Thread