Character assistance - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Character assistance

Hey there; oh dark ones...
    For various reasons, I need to come up with an effective load-out for a DE Archon. Now, I have never done this before, so I have only my instincts to guide me, but if anyone could give me a critique of my first try, I would be very grateful.

Archon: 155pts
    +Agonizer
    +Close Combat Weapon (just because it will look cooler than a splinter pistol)
    +Combat Drugs
    +Shadow Field
    +Trophy Rack
    +Hell Mask
    +Gruesome Talisman
    +Plasma Grenades

So, any good?
    If not, any suggestions as to how I could make him/her better?

Cheers you lovely evil space elves
    -t.

minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

Is this in an actual army or in a character bash? If the former, just make it shadowfield, combat drugs, agoniser, cww (or punisher and tormentor helm) and plasma grenades, nothing more, anything else is excessive. If its in a character bash then definately make it an archite (they are just simply better, no 2 ways about it) and probably give her a xenospasm and a buch of nice wargear, mundane and arcane. Whats this character for anyway?
    Last edited by Tenozuma; October 26th, 2006 at 15:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x4)

/agrees with Tenozuma.

I would ask if you are going to be fighting monstrous creatures or normal T3-4 troops. Just a bit of an extension of the what is this for question really.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Well, this is mostly because I wanted to convert and paint a cool looking DE lord.
    However, I do want him to be useable, should I be sufficiently inspired to create a whole army, so I would say that on the whole it would be more appropriate for an actual army.

If I were to continue, it would be versus a range of troops, but I decided that on the whole it is better to be wounding on a 4 against everyone than 3s against guard (etc), and 5s/6s against plague marines, wraithguard/lords etc etc.

Tenzo, cheers for that, you would suggest dropping the Hell Mask, Gruesome Talismans and Trophy Rack? Ironically, I only added those because they fit in to the ideas I have for the model, and do not really have to be taken as wargear.

Keep the comments coming peeps, very much appreciated
    -t.
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    188 (x4)

In terms of wargear I use pretty much the same stuff all the time
    Combat drugs, Shadow field, Hell mask, plasma grenades, trophy rack, and I usually have enough leftover points for gruesome talismans. (the trophy rack, hell mask, and talsimans are mainly for fluff's sake but they have come in handy for me more than enough to be justified)

The two weapon loadouts I use for my lords are as follows

Punisher + tormentor helm : Combined with the correct combat drug options you get 6, re-rollable, S5 attacks when you charge. So you kill marines on a 3+, guard on a 2+, and are only worse off against T6 and higher than an agoniser lord (so no wraithlord/carnifex hunting). The extra drug option you need to take make OD's more likely so I wouldn't reccomend this loadout for a dracon/drachite. Some people like to take an animus, for a S6 lord but in my expirience it's not worth the points.

Agoniser + Poison blades : I'm a big fan of this combo as it makes your lord ready for anything. You've got the agoniser for anything with reasonable armor and the P-blades for anything without armor. Think about it, for only 4 points more than a normal CCW you have the choice to go from 6 attacks that wound on a 4+, to 5 attacks that wound on a 2+. Against things with minimal armor (orks, guard, certain tyranids, certain eldar, kroot mercs, etc.) or anything with just an invulnerable save (certain greater demons/regular demons, C'tan, other DE lords, seer councils, etc.) poison blades will do more damage than an agoniser. Easily worth it in my opinion.

And before anyone says anything, let me clarify one thing that a lot of people seem to have trouble with; if you're using the agoniser, it is perfectly legal to use the p-blades as an additional CCW for +1 A. Read the P-blade rules carefully, it say that their ability to wound on a 2+ may not be combined with an additional CCW, not the weapon itself.
    Last edited by Bugs_n_Orks; October 26th, 2006 at 17:23.
    The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

They're a waste of points... but a small waste.

Take the rack if you have an Incubi Retinue,

Gruesome talismans are cheap, so if it looks cool, do it! :p

And Hell masks are best if you're running a lone Archon, or if you'll be singled out...
    minimalism is the key.

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Are you making an all around archon, what you see is what you get? Or are you simply coming up with a good combination of items to give him? Because, I am not a whole big fan of all those what you see is what you get rules. You are pretty much with convering everything to fit their role, on the other hand if you want to simply make a good combo for every day games then... there is a couple ways to do it.

Agoniser (Wounds on +4 regardless of T)
    Shadow Field
    Combat drugs
    Splinter Pistol/CCW
    Tormentor Helm
    Plasma Grenades
    (The most standard way, good for MEQ killing, can be given a jetbike for lone hunting. With incubi can make short work of MEQs, yet against weaker T3 units, punisher may proove more useful especially when you can waste a combat drug roll by rolling +1 to str)

Drachon
    Punisher
    Tormentor Helm
    Plasma Grenades
    Combat Drugs
    (Cheap and convenient when you have 2 incubi retinues, deliver a great load of dmg when they charge, this is fairly useful cause you can field 2 of them for about 88 points a piece)

Archon
    Punisher
    Combat drugs
    Shadow field
    Tormentor Helm
    Trophy Rack/hell mask
    Plasma grenades
    (very good for fighting armies with average units having T3 like tau and IG, you wound everyone on a 3+ and do fairly well against most MEQs that they might have)

This is the most basic gear, everything else is secondary...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

My archon for small games goes as follows:

Archon
    - agonizer
    - combat drugs
    - shadowfield
    - trophy rack (its so cheap and so effective)
    - pistol
    - w/ incubi retinue on a raider

For larger games I'll take a dracon with built the same way (minus the shadowfield) mounted in a raider with the incubi, and my archon will ride with a bike squad fitted out this way:

Archon
    - Reaver
    - Power Weapon
    - Tormentor Helm
    - Shadowfield
    - Trophy rack
    - Pistol
    - Haywire grenades
    - Plasma grenades

Its a little pricy, but he does his job. I give him a power weapon because (since he's on a bike), you can get him up to strength 5, wounding marines on a 3+. If there's a monstrous creature out there, you'll just have to avoid it with your archon, and hit it with your wych squads.

I wouldnt take the gruesome talisman...+1 to model size doesnt help much at all.
    My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

979 (x8)

Thank you for your comprehensive replies everyone
    They have been taken into account, and hopefully you will see my finished model sooner or later...

-t.
    Last updated 09/01/11

+ Reply to Thread