Drone Controller - Gun Drones - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drone Controller - Gun Drones

Right, just as a thought I was thinking of trying using some gun drones with my crisis suits. However looking at the rules I am a little confused.

If say, I have a squad of 3 Crisis suits with 6 drones and they get targetted by a whole crap load of imperial guard. The guard score 15 lasgun hits. You then take the average toughness which is three cos of the drones. Guard then score 8 wounds.

Am I correct in thinking then that of the 8 wounding hits, 6 go on the drones and 2 on the crisis? If so, do I make 6 4+ saves and 2 3+ saves?
    Then the most important part: If then I fail a 3+ save, can I allocate the wound to a drone?

Just by typing this out I have seen how poor they will already perform, but I am interested in the mechanics nevertheless. Can someone please clarify?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

I thought when controlled by drone controller drones modified their toughness and save to whoever they are attached to?

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
    I thought when controlled by drone controller drones modified their toughness and save to whoever they are attached to?
    Don't currently have the codex on me, however, I could've sworn that only Shield Drones modify their toughness and save to match those they are attached to, not Gun Drones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep Shield Drones modify toughness and save and have a 4+ invulnerable.
    Im using Gun drones in the example for two reasons: A) they are cheaper, They have guns :rolleyes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Mystweaver View Post
    Right, just as a thought I was thinking of trying using some gun drones with my crisis suits. However looking at the rules I am a little confused.

If say, I have a squad of 3 Crisis suits with 6 drones and they get targetted by a whole crap load of imperial guard. The guard score 15 lasgun hits. You then take the average toughness which is three cos of the drones. Guard then score 8 wounds.

Am I correct in thinking then that of the 8 wounding hits, 6 go on the drones and 2 on the crisis? If so, do I make 6 4+ saves and 2 3+ saves?
    Then the most important part: If then I fail a 3+ save, can I allocate the wound to a drone?

Just by typing this out I have seen how poor they will already perform, but I am interested in the mechanics nevertheless. Can someone please clarify?

Thanks in advance.
    He said gun drones guys, not shield drones. Gun drones certainly don't have their toughness modified, shield drones do.

You would have to take the majority armor in this case, so yeah you would have a bunch on the drones. As for the 3+ You can't throw a wound on a model that doesn't have the save you used. They must go on one that has the save you used (BGB76).
    Last edited by mephistophales; October 26th, 2006 at 15:19.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

I don't have my rulebook on me to look over the Majority Save rules and the likes, but I am pretty sure that if you fail the Crisis Suit's 3+ save, that Crisis Suit must take the wound. You can't put it onto a Drone. That's the way I see it, anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats what I thought...
    In that case, it looks like gun drones would in fact be much better off in a Stealth team.
    6 stealths with 12 gun drones. You have to put a lot of shots to hit all 18 units. All have stealth fields and you are getting 30 shots of str 5 ap 5 (12 of which are twin linked & pinning) for your 300 points. Sure you could get 30 firewarriors for the same price but they have a much harder time getting so close.

With the JSJ ability of the squad, it can also allow you to stay away from Assault range and possibly back into cover (not that they need it as much with the stealth field)

I dunno, just throwing ideas about...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mystweaver View Post
    Thats what I thought...
    In that case, it looks like gun drones would in fact be much better off in a Stealth team.
    6 stealths with 12 gun drones. You have to put a lot of shots to hit all 18 units. All have stealth fields and you are getting 30 shots of str 5 ap 5 (12 of which are twin linked & pinning) for your 300 points. Sure you could get 30 firewarriors for the same price but they have a much harder time getting so close.

With the JSJ ability of the squad, it can also allow you to stay away from Assault range and possibly back into cover (not that they need it as much with the stealth field)

I dunno, just throwing ideas about...
    One problem with this is that now you have an 18 model unit to try JSJ with. You will need some very specific size and positioned terrain to get it right.

However, an upside is if you think you will get assaulted put all the drones in the front and remove dead drones from btb contact and make a safe getaway with the stealths.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+ Reply to Thread