War Walkers: Errata Needed? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

War Walkers: Errata Needed?

OK,

Wave serpents have two weapon mounts and can twin-link.

Wraithlords have two weapon mounts and can twin-link.

War Walkers have two weapon mounts and - err - can't (even though they used to)

Anyone know the design philosophy behind this change or is it a possible mistake?

Similarly the Codex "fluff" describes Walkers appearing from shimmering shields where there was nothing before, yet for upgrades they get - spirit stones.

Why no holofield option?

(While I genuinely applaud the Codex and the unified method it's adopted - I do start to feel the Eldar have been "dumbed down" a bit, and that the people writing the stats and options did so with both eyes on "game balance" and not too many nods to the internal consistency of the Eldar history as set out by GW itself).

Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

erm no, War walker weapons are not twin linked, nor were they before this codex, it is one of the beaties of the thing.

The shimmering field is now the cockpit bit, and is why they are not open topped
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    nor were they before this codex,
    OK - clearly my memory is playing tricks - again!

The shimmering field is now the cockpit bit, and is why they are not open topped
    Hmmm - <sounds unconvinced> but I was right about them having holofields before - wasn't I??

Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by vorlon View Post
    Hmmm - <sounds unconvinced> but I was right about them having holofields before - wasn't I??
    yes
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

They also used to have the wave serpent energy sheild if I remeber right(I didn't use them).

But don't complian about not being twin linked! it's actually better to have two seperate weapons than one twin linked weapon. Especially if you guide them.

That, to my understanding, used to be the reason people took them. Sure they were extremly vulnerable for their price but a squad of them, guided, will move down 11-12 marines a turn. Meaning there might not be anything in position to shoot back at them.

Now, I don't know. They feel a lot more like a fast attack option to me than heavy support.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

If they were meant to be twin-linked, it would say so. Don't get yourself into a knot over a problem that isn't there .

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside
    Now, I don't know. They feel a lot more like a fast attack option to me than heavy support.
    IMO fast attack would of made a little more sence since they were meant to be scouting vechials...and now they have the scouting rules too :/ (correct me if I'm wrong....still yet to get an update on the codex )

As with the tyrannids technology and evolution can change, maybe the Eldar finally realised that their little force feild was more hinderance than protection...or something along those lines, basically fluff can progress....it's not like Earth was stuck in the middle ages forever.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Heiromyo View Post
    IMO fast attack would of made a little more sence since they were meant to be scouting vechials...and now they have the scouting rules too :/ (correct me if I'm wrong....still yet to get an update on the codex )
    I think that's what I meant about internal consistency, and did the list writers read the background.

The Codex fluff gives these descriptions of walkers scouting ahead of the army, appearing from nowhere and they have the scouts rule, (if there's a parallel it would be with Imperial Walkers which are Fast Attack), and yet here these ultra-light vehicles are Heavy Support.

My view - fwiw - "Does Not Compute"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

I dont think its a big deal. While sentinels are Fast Attack for IG, they dont really have any fast units as such and part of the "thing" about IG is big tanks, so they should be the obvious choices for HS. Eldar on the other hand have lots of true fast attack choices meaning the War Walker would stick out like a big, sore (and rather slow) thumb.

Also consider a War Walker can dish out a lot more firepower than a Sentinel. Sure they are fragile, but so are support weapons. Having them in Fast Attack would be like the Iron Warriors taking 9 Oblitarators aswell as filling their Heavy Weapon slots. Just a bit too much firepower.

Sure I think the models are cool, sure theres a LOT of very good competition for our HS slots but I still feel they made the right choice. And having too much good to try and pick from is worlds better than the 3rd edition codex where half the stuff stank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowglacht View Post
    .. Eldar on the other hand have lots of true fast attack choices meaning the War Walker would stick out like a big, sore (and rather slow) thumb..
    Which being so makes me wonder why it doesn't get the holofield option - OK, it's not open topped anymore, but as you say if the slow speed and heavy armament does suggest HW - then I would think it could also suggest additional protection which could make holofields an option for the same points in friendly/home games.

+ Reply to Thread